Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2005 2:21:25 PM EDT
I  am 19 and own a landscape and construction company in NJ.  I'm skilled in all building trades.  I am my only employee and live at home with my parents.  Things are slowing down up here for me.  Should i just load up all my tools in my truck (chainsaws, nail guns, generators, etc) and head down to MS, ALA, LA and work for  6 months?  Seems like there would be pleanty of work and i would like help people out.
Does this seem like a good idea?   I am sure their will be a shortage of skill workers down there.  

Matt
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say it's a great idea.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#2]
There has been plenty of work since hurricane Ivan last year........
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#3]
go for it , i live on li and after a storm like that i used to make alot of money. just be safe
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#5]
You would find plenty of work.

I say go for it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish I was 19 again.  If I were in your shoes I'd probably do just that.

You'll probably be OK if you just act like a rented mule - but the second you make a suggestion about how something should be done, just be prepared for the "Oh!  We just love when your kind come down here and tell us we should be doing things!" kind of attitude.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a U-Haul loaded up with bottled water that I will be selling for $50 a gallon.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
you will make good amoney and work your ass off.

that said i'd wait 60-90 days before i even considered going.

also keep in mind you need to get your business licensing in place BEFORE you get there. florida was jailing and fineing unlicensed contractors after ivan.

QFT!

especially the licensing part.  that'd ruin your trip for sure.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a U-Haul loaded up with bottled water that I will be selling for $50 a gallon.

They'll throw your ass in jail for being a dirty capitalist.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Take your AR and watch your ass down there.  Lots of looters around.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
just be prepared for the "Oh!  We just love when your kind come down here and tell us we should be doing things!" kind of attitude.

Damn skippy, yankee boy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Also, you may as well leave behind your toothbrush, toilet paper and any reading material that didn't come from the John Birch Society (unless y'all wants to be mistaken fer a faggot commie liberal).
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
local talk radio just had a guy that was loading up on bottled water and gasoline to take as far in as he could. said he would be charging 8.00 per gallon for water or gas. that's what it cost him to get it there.

Sounds like a good idea, but I hope he is carrying some protection of the 7.62 variety.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd wait until they let people back in and they have basic sanitation. It will be a while before the insurance companies start handing  out checks for reconstruction.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
local talk radio just had a guy that was loading up on bottled water and gasoline to take as far in as he could. said he would be charging 8.00 per gallon for water or gas. that's what it cost him to get it there.

This gentleman obviously has no business sense.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I  am 19 and own a landscape and construction company in NJ.  I'm skilled in all building trades.  I am my only employee and live at home with my parents.  Things are slowing down up here for me.  Should i just load up all my tools in my truck (chainsaws, nail guns, generators, etc) and head down to MS, ALA, LA and work for  6 months?  Seems like there would be pleanty of work and i would like help people out.
Does this seem like a good idea?   I am sure their will be a shortage of skill workers down there.  

Matt

Good Idea.
Just give them a few weeks to clear some of the debris
BTW there will probably be 2-3 years of steady work in the building trades.
Play nice , have a good time, fill your pockets and above all:
BE Honest!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm checking out the license laws out in those states right now.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Would you need a local license to perform work down there?

Good ?
As we both know in Ca you definitely would, but maybe in La and Ms you would not need a contractors liscence to perform "Handyman" work?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Also, you may as well leave behind your toothbrush, toilet paper and any reading material that didn't come from the John Birch Society (unless y'all wants to be mistaken fer a faggot commie liberal).

Thanks for the laugh --You Yankee/carpetbagger etc.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#25]
You'll be competing with illegal aliens who will under bid you on every job.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I work construstion and i'll tell youStorm chaser's are mostly asshole scam artist. i'd say buy a lot of materials while you still can. becuase it will be expersive there. They will also steal from your job sight. no question there is plenty of money in it, just be moral though. I've heard a lot of stories where people get ripped off and that ain't cool. like $500 to tarf a roof. its insane. be careful.

Soren
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I live here in South AL. Your most valuable tool will be a skid steer . " BOBCAT" . Get plenty of fuel before you get close because there will be none when you get closer to the destruction. You will not believe what you see when you arrive . You will be able to work here for at least a year and last but not least bring a camper and generator plenty of food and I hope you like heatand humidity because you will have plenty of it here. You must be self sufficient before you arrive. Email if you have any questions . Oh I forgot never tell a man from Mississippi dressed in camo "How you did it up North" even if you know you are right. They will be glad to see you and the people are as nice as you will ever meet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Not true. We brush and floss everyday, all four teeth. I prefer Charmin tissue. And I have a subscription to Playboy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

...and who will be outfitted with free tools from lowes, home depot, and wal mart.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#30]
There going to be so much work down there i doubt people will have to underbid to get work.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They'll throw your ass in jail for being a dirty capitalist price gouger.

Capitalism is one thing, gouging is another.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...and who will be outfitted with free tools from lowes, home depot, and wal mart.

That were made in China.

China and Mexico win, we lose.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Get a great lock box for your tools. wait 30 - 60 days. That is when the insurance checks will be written.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I still think that if I ever won a lottery that I'd do things like this. They're good for the soul.

More power to you should you decide to take this on.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no such thing as gouging.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#36]
In addition to all the above mentioned....
I'd recommend lots of high strength skeeter repellent. The high strnegth kind that strips paint preferably.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#37]
get your shots up to date and bring lots camping supplies. You're gonna need it
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I have relief teams on the ground there now. The powers that be were not prepaired for this storm. Even in a disaster some people still have a idea of whats going on. The reports back I am getting is that the guys ready to do infrastructure rebuild know what  to do but the higher ups can't find their ass. I am considering pulling my crews out untill they know WTF they are doing . Oh and BTW we work with the big boys in construction. For the 19yro oh hell yes wait and head south, you will make money, treat people fair, do good work and maybe you will be calling me for my services soon
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
get your shots up to date and bring lots camping supplies. You're gonna need it

Lots of DEET containing bugspray.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, right.  When you have people in a desperate situation and you deliberately jack up your prices, it is gouging, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, right.  When you have people in a desperate situation and you deliberately jack up your prices, it is gouging, plain and simple.

Yes, right.  Raise prices as a means to ration out supply.  If you do it any other way, you immediately create a shortage.

Plain and simple.

If I raise my prices too high, I will be sitting on inventory which could kill me financially, not to mention suffer the wrath of a pissed off populace.

As outrageous as it may seem, if people are readily paying $50 per gallon of drinking water...do you think that they would be better off without the water?

Of course not.

Plain and simple.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, right.  Raise prices as a means to ration out supply.  If you do it any other way, you immediately create a shortage.

Plain and simple.

Must be why the prices of those "rare" Colt 6920 HB were so high lol....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Matt

Bless you young man.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#47]

There's enough construction and other trade workers on this board, maybe someone should set up a guide to how to work legally in the affected areas.

I am not an expert so I wouldn't know where to begin.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
2 things.....

bug spray and diareeha meds

dissentary will be hitting soon and you have not seen bugs like that have in those swamps.

and a camelbak!

Pack some MRE's!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
you will make good amoney and work your ass off.

that said i'd wait 60-90 days before i even considered going.

also keep in mind you need to get your business licensing in place BEFORE you get there. florida was jailing and fineing unlicensed contractors after ivan.

Ditto
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#50]

+1 on waiting.  Lots of volunteer work right now, no paying jobs until the insurance cos start looking at damage and then writing checks.

Heck, there is still money from Ivan, based on what I saw on vacation this summer in Gulf Shores area.

I heard that roads south of Jackson MS are closed to regular traffic and limited to emergency folks and supplies.  Not sure you could even get through right now.

Check LA/MS/AL licensing, get a license from some little town in the northern part of the state that is still up and running in the meantime.

good luck.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top