Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 2:01:28 PM EDT
As far as I am hearing the story, an apartment building in Biloxi collapsed, killing about 30 people inside.

But, apparently it was an apartment building pretty much at the waterfront !!!  

Seriously - who decides to stay in an apartment building (usually not the most well-built of structures), right at the waterfront, when the biggest hurricane in a generation is heading straight for you?  

Unless there is some explanation, like these were elderly people in a home, and couldn't be moved, or these were people who were so poor they could not afford transportation, I pretty much consider those deaths more along the lines of "suicide", not poor victims killed by the hurricane.

It's like people who are killed by a train because they crossed the tracks when the gate was down - that's suicide, not "being hit by a train"

Just to clarify - I don't have a problem with people wanting to "ride out the storm" and protect their property from looters, etc - and perhaps if you are in a block or concrete house, it woudl be feasible to do right in the path of a Cat 5 hurricane.  But in an apartment building right at the water??  That's insane.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Takes all kinds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
(You need a poll )

One vote for crazy suicide cult (of a religion to be assumed for the sake of this discussion non-Christian)
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
If you've got legs, you can walk a long way without motorized transportation - I guess it all depends on your motivation, or

sticking my neck out just a little,

you're waiting on the mother government to save your worthless ass without putting out any personal effort.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
If I was the coroner I would write each one up as

Cause of Death: Suicide by self inflected means.
or
Cause of Death: Stupidity of deceased.

The first one would kill any claims on life insurace policies.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you've got legs, you can walk a long way without motorized transportation - I guess it all depends on your motivation, or

sticking my neck out just a little,

you're waiting on the mother government to save your worthless ass without putting out any personal effort.

Welcome to the team!  Is that an X-45?

Bird of Prey.  X-45's don't have vertical surfaces.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
You're absoutely right.

It's the gubmint's fault for not forcibly removing them to safety.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#10]
The people that stayed around aren't of the most intelligent sort.  Many of them are running around stealing shoes and TVs right now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess it's a combination of factors. Neither the hurricane nor their stupidity alone could kill them. It took a combination of both.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
As far as I am hearing the story, an apartment building in Biloxi collapsed, killing about 30 people inside.

But, apparently it was an apartment building pretty much at the waterfront !!!  

Seriously - who decides to stay in an apartment building (usually not the most well-built of structures), right at the waterfront, when the biggest hurricane in a generation is heading straight for you?  

Unless there is some explanation, like these were elderly people in a home, and couldn't be moved, or these were people who were so poor they could not afford transportation, I pretty much consider those deaths more along the lines of "suicide", not poor victims killed by the hurricane.

It's like people who are killed by a train because they crossed the tracks when the gate was down - that's suicide, not "being hit by a train"

Just to clarify - I don't have a problem with people wanting to "ride out the storm" and protect their property from looters, etc - and perhaps if you are in a block or concrete house, it woudl be feasible to do right in the path of a Cat 5 hurricane.  But in an apartment building right at the water??  That's insane.

Train as "attractive nuisance"   or something to that effect, that's pretty much the story on nearly everyone that's killed by the Commuter trains here in South California.   That's it!, I saw the train and I couldn't control myself and just had to drive up on the tracks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You're absoutely right.

What ?    How in the world would you get THAT from my post?

I'm saying it's NOT the hurricane's "fault" these people are dead, it's their OWN fault.  It's a matter of placing the blame where it belongs, and NOT blaming it on the hurricane, bad weather, big governemnt, whatever.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yep, my thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The people that stayed around aren't of the most intelligent sort.  Many of them are running around stealing shoes and TVs right now.

Yup. And wait until the realization hits home that it ain't all going to be back to normal in a few days. I get the sense that a lot of them haven't figured that out yet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#17]
didn't the hurricane cut back east at the last moment?  

wasn't the projected path much further west?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#18]
wonder how Keesler AFB faired through all of that.  I have quite fond memories of TDY down there.  I hope the hospital in Biloxi made it through okay (because they had this great bar right next door. Upstairs/Downstairs was a fun dive bar)
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep, without knowing all the details I'd have to say we have a few nominations for the Darwin Awards.... but if given information sufficient to feel pity on these people, I'll take back my comments and say I'm sorry.

YMMV,
Steve L.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#20]
IIRC, almost the exact same thing happened with Camille.  A group of idiots decided to have a hurricane party in a beachfront motel.  The storm surge left nothing but the slab foundation.  

Just goes to prove 50% of humanity has a below average IQ...<sarcasm>
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#21]
On the news here a woman with a 3 year old child,whom lived on a boat decided to harbor her boat and try to weather out the storm!!!!

The law or the childs grandparents should have knocked her on the head and took that child to safety!!!

I'm sure there are many more people just like her!!!

Hope that child is in Gods,or rescuers arms right now!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You're absoutely right.

What ?    How in the world would you get THAT from my post?

I'm saying it's NOT the hurricane's "fault" these people are dead, it's their OWN fault.  It's a matter of placing the blame where it belongs, and NOT blaming it on the hurricane, bad weather, big governemnt, whatever.  

One of the survivors was interviewed, and he said they didn't leave because they didn't think the storm was gonna be that bad??So now since he can't find his car, he's moving to NC.  I guess he doesn't think Darwin has a license to practice in North carolina!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
didn't the hurricane cut back east at the last moment?  

wasn't the projected path much further west?

All the more reason to get the fuck out!  They can only offer guesses as to what a hurricane is going to do, so if it's within striking distance, best to unass the AO rather than end up as a sidebar on CNN.com or a thread on ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
On the news here a woman with a 3 year old child,whom lived on a boat decided to harbor her boat and try to weather out the storm!!!!

The law or the childs grandparents should have knocked her on the head and took that child to safety!!!

I'm sure there are many more people just like her!!!

Hope that child is in Gods,or rescuers arms right now!!!

Bob

The national news followed up.  The family survived; maybe they are the reason the storm veered Northeast in time.

The woman more or less told the reporter it wasn't too bad, the boat heaved aobut 10 times and it was over.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Natural selection.

Or maybe NOT SO intelligent design of the apartment  building.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top