Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 1:06:31 PM EDT
i think i want to do this.
anyone ever tried or called around and gotten any info?

oh, and yes i am serious.  

damn, this is cool!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
My dad used to work on the ammonia cooling systems in packing houses, funny...he wouldn't ever eat a hot dog...I wonder why?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure most places would give a tour.  I used to work in one. It's cold. The kill floor is an experience.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup.  Part of a class I had to take called "Meat, Fish and Poultry Analysis."  Very cold.  The one we went to was clean, thank God.  Most of the girls in the class refused to go in because the little baby cows were so cute anjd they couldn't stand to know what went on in there. I just patted my stomach and said "Mmmm......veal."
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Done it, it's somethin' to see.
Also worked on a feedyard, equally impressive.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I deliver to a local butcher that does slaughtering on sight. They just dont do it in the part where they do the butchering. The carcass moves on a conveyor into that part of the building. Its a very clean place.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I have worked in them before.

It isn't something for the children.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Great uncle owned one.  Mom worked in another (accounting).    Yeah, it's something to see.

Auction yards are more fun to hang around and shoot the shit (so to speak).
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to work in one.

Illinois beef processing, (IBP).

I had plenty of meat to eat!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Never toured a slaughter house.

When I was a lad, my mother worked at a veal ranch and I was out there on occasion.   That was interesting.

I love breaded veal!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes.  A small town slaughterhouse.  I was there to pick up a first stomach to give the contents to an orphaned calf.  Got to stand there and watch everything from beginning to end without getting my hands bloody.

It was one of the most fascinating and educational experiences of my life -- right up there with the VIP tour of the Coors brewery and standing on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange during trading.

[Edit for typo]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I grew up near one and as kids we used to go down to watch. We saw the hogs offloaded from trains and trucks, seen them killed, and processed.  It was an experience for sure.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I never been to a slaughter house before, but I did see a cow being slaughtered.
It was all cool until they opened the stomach.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I like my meat in foam packages in supermarket displays
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Never been to a slaughterhouse, but I've passed-by the Clougerty pork slaughtering house in the city of Vernon(the last of the big slaughterhouses in So. Calif, about 10 miles southeast of Los Angeles), I was about 2 miles from the plant, the stench was terrible.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I used to work in one.

IBP is Iowa Beef Processors, you Moron.

If you're going to Lie, get it right.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I have.

We raised two Angus Steers for meat for our family reunion one year. T-bone and Ribeye.

We went out to grandma's and rode them around for a while that morning, then into the truck and off to Stone's Meats. It was cool!

Nothing like food you've raised yourself.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I toured one when I was in school- it was good. I grew up on a cattle farm, so it was nice to see the circle completed.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#20]
We grew them, then did the slaughtering, I grew up learning how to kill and process, beef, pork and mutton.  That was in between the deer, squirrel rabbits, and fowl. Not to mention fish etc.
Modern slaughter houses are very efficent at their job.
Kill it grill it yhumm
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#21]
We killed a lot of animals on my dad's hobby farm, but I've never been inside a slaughterhouse.  Although I did take Gross Anatomy.

There was one near my house.  Loved the name:  "Rolland's Slaughterhouse--Custom Killings"
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#22]
You should see my garage come deer season. Somehow it becomes a slaughter house.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#24]
No, but I did read Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. Does that count?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I worked on the kill floor at EA Miller and sons way back when; no biggie.
M
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I used to work in one.

...it stands for Indiana Beef Processing...!  Oh wait, we have 50 states, eachof whom probably has such a plant...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Father took me and my brother to a slaughterhous when I was like 8 or 9 and my brother was 13 or so.  It was interesting.  They used the air driven bolt thru the head to dispatch the cows.  My mom freaked out at him, but neither my bro or I had a problem with it.  

Now with children, I wouldn't mind doing the same thing when they're old enough.  Let them know their food doesn't just come from the store!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, I've toured beef slaughter and packing plants in Arizona, California and Kansas as well as turkey and chicken processing plants, chicken hatcheries, sausage factories, cattle feedyards, pet food manufacturers, rendering units, and feed mills among many other kinds of places I've had the good fortune to see.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I used to work in one.

...it stands for Indiana Beef Processing...!  Oh wait, we have 50 states, eachof whom probably has such a plant...

I believe it is called Iowa Beef Processing, but they are in Joslin, Illinois.  It's about 30 minutes from where I live.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I used to work in one.

wtf?

Glof, you know better than to feed the trolls.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Did'nt have to tour one. I worked for Wilson Foods if anyone remembers them. It was a good gig for one of my first jobs out of high school. From what I remember the kill line was so fast it was just like an assembly line at Ford Motor Co. Hated the gut and intestine departments but I loved the smokehouse. I'd walk out of my way to and from breaks and lunch just to go through there and breath through my nose. Of course, that was back in the days when you could still make money in Pork.

I UN-learned biting my finger nails there. After having your hands in that for 8 hours a day you had absolutely no desire to put them in your mouth.    
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#33]
When I was a little kid, dad took me out to Holt Packing Company on old Hwy 51 (now 71st Street) east of Tulsa. While we were waiting to pick up a calf that we had butchered, I saw them slaughter two hogs...

(While the hogs were still alive) they pierced the Achilles tendons on both hind legs and ran a 4 foot long iron bar through the backs of both hooves. Then they hooked the bar to an overhead hoist and lifted the hogs about 5 feet off of the floor, hanging head-down. Then this guy with a big butcher knife walked up to the hogs, still sharpening the knife on a steel. He took the knife and made two quick horizontal slashes plus one diagonal slash across each of their throats as they hung upside down.

Both hogs sqealed and writhed, dangling from the rods and chains, blood gushing and gurgling from the slashes across their throats, it didn't take them long to bleed-out while twisting and swinging upside down...

The guy who did it told me that this was the best way to do it because it ensured that all the blood was pumped out of the carcass because the heart was racing and pumped the body dry before failure due to lack of oxygen.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Haven't yet.  I have stood on my tippy toes to look through the window at the slaughter house when we pick up and drop off beef.  Never have the time to ask for a tour though...

I'd like to see how the pro's take an animal down and cut them up.  I suck at it...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You should see my garage come deer season. Somehow it becomes a slaughter house.

My wife and I butchered eight deer last November.  MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm  

I've never seen the inside of a slaughter house though.  It's no mystery, as I've butchered and seen butchering since I was very young.  Methinks it should be mandatory for "city folks" to see where their food comes from.  

Watching deer getting slaughtered in the garage is one thing. I helped a buddy of mine do it and I admit I barfed the first time I saw the innards fall out. Too much beer didn't help any but the mass slaughtering of cattle is another sight and smell I don't need.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#36]
My grandmother used to work for Spring Valley/Tyson in Alabama and I got to go see chickens being processed when I was younger.............the blood room is an experience.    
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#37]
when i was 8.  all i remember was that pigs smell badly
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#38]
i toured a slaughter house in South America. It was shut down at the time--pretty cool though
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I used to work for the power company about 30 years ago...had to go test a meter in a pig packing plant.  VERY entertaining, especially the flamethrower part and the chainsaw part.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I'm sure most places would give a tour.  I used to work in one. It's cold. The kill floor is an experience.

Depends, some Federally inspected kill houses have to get permission from the USDA before allowing anyone in so they just don't!

Oh, and it (IBP) is Iowa Beef Processors, a subsidiary of Tyson!  Course if a guy in Illinois owns a beef slaughterhouse, I guess he could call it Illinois Beef Processing if he wanted, but IBP would be a trademark infringement.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Went to Farmstead Foods in Minnesota in January once to work on their centrifuges (I was a repairman at the time).  They would slaughter all the animals in one building and wash the "leftovers" into a trough that they pumped into a neighboring building.  They would heat this "mixture" (won't say what it was but I'm sure you can guess) to about 120 degrees then run it through a couple of centrifuges; one to remove the solid material (it looked like oatmeal) and a second to turn the cloudy yellow liquid into what looked like corn oil.  The operator there told me the "oatmeal" stuff got sold to animal feed companies (eg. dog food) and the "corn oil" went to cosmetics companies.

It was freezing cold outside - about 5 degrees but, because of the big cement pool they heated this stuff in, it was about 40 degrees inside (no other heaters).  I'll never forget the stench.  I threw my clothes out as soon as I got home and couldn't get the smell out of my skin for about a week.

M590man
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I used to work in one.

wtf?

Glof, you know better than to feed the trolls.

I don't know why said troll has never been banned.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#44]

"Who wants a free sample?"
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Every first Sundy in the spring and summer, we used to drop a calf off at the slaughter house for processing.  We were lazy.  But in the winter when venison was the meat, we did our own processing.  Being young at the time, I asked why we had someone else do our beef.  "Weight, my son.  We cannot lift 600 pounds but we can lift 150 pounds" my dad would say.  Of course my mom made it clearer.  Venison comes in smallre, refrigerator-sized packages.  Our 3 refrigerators and two freezers weren't big enough.

Yes, I got to go inside the slaughter house and see the tools and procedure.   Both kosher and traif procedures, kosher cost more.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
They would heat this "mixture" (won't say what it was but I'm sure you can guess) to about 120 degrees then run it through a couple of centrifuges; one to remove the solid material (it looked like oatmeal) and a second to turn the cloudy yellow liquid into what looked like corn oil.  The operator there told me the "oatmeal" stuff got sold to animal feed companies (eg. dog food) and the "corn oil" went to cosmetics companies.

Mmmmm, hydrolyzed animal protein. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I have.

We raised two Angus Steers for meat for our family reunion one year. T-bone and Ribeye.

We went out to grandma's and rode them around for a while that morning, then into the truck and off to Stone's Meats. It was cool!

Nothing like food you've raised yourself.

The one that used to be on McKellips in Mesa? I used to get my pork liver there for the homemade boudin I make. Tuesday was pig day. I also got fresh oxtail one time. He said it would be about 15 minutes. He came out with a whole one still dripping...

They closed it down about 6-7 years ago...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:51:37 AM EDT
[#48]
I was granted a quick tour of a slaughterhouse in Tucson about 10 yrs ago. I used to drive a tractor-trailer back then and had to deliver a load of corrugated boxes from Stone Container.

I did not see the cows actually "dispatched", but I did see the entire "disassembly". It was disturbing at first since I am a born and raised suburbanite. All I knew was steaks showed up at stores.

Once I got over the initial shock it was very fascinating. They guy giving me the tour seemed somewhat impressed that I did not blow chunks (there was a moment where I was not to sure I would not).

Take a coat, it is cold.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#49]
PETA has a good documentary on the meat industry, really interesting and informative, oddly
enough. Someone gave me a copy.  The whole slaughtering process doesn't bother me, but some
of the info they presented regarding what is acceptable to be sold to us is disturbing even
if they were grossly exagerrating the facts.  Then again it is PETA.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:36:11 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Never been to a slaughterhouse, but I've passed-by the Clougerty pork slaughtering house in the city of Vernon(the last of the big slaughterhouses in So. Calif, about 10 miles southeast of Los Angeles), I was about 2 miles from the plant, the stench was terrible.

Hey Warlord (we met before at the range) I work at the Bulk Mail Center in the city of Bell which is too close to that slaughter house.....Peewwwwwwww!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top