Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 11:56:22 AM EDT
it's got to be a dupe but it's a great idea.

link

By Pete Williams
Justice correspondent
NBC News
Updated: 7:49 p.m. ET Aug. 17, 2005

Pete Williams
Justice correspondent

Washington - Wednesday, the nation’s largest union of airline flight attendants urged the federal government not to relax its rules that ban passengers from carrying on items that could be used as weapons. But airline pilots say it would be a good move, allowing a better focus on actual threats.

With the federal government looking for ways to improve passenger screening, staffers at the Transportation Security Administration have made a suggestion to their bosses — to lift the ban on carrying sharp objects, like scissors, knives, or screwdrivers, which was imposed just a few days after the 9/11 hijackings.

With cockpit doors now reinforced, TSA staffers argue that those objects can no longer be used to bring a plane down. But flight attendants strongly objected, saying the items still pose a threat to people onboard.

“If you think there’s some means of self-defense in that cabin, you are sadly mistaken,” says Patricia Friend of the Association of Flight Attendants, adding, “It’s not there, and if the TSA has their way, the person sitting next to you could have a knife or a boxcutter.”

While checking roughly 2 million people a day, government figures show, screeners find 14,000 potential weapons ranging from nail scissors to pocket knives and ice picks — even big rocks.  A rules change would allow those back on, even allowing hunters to carry on bows and arrows.

And passengers would be required to remove their shoes only if they set off the metal detectors or are selected for extra screening.

Some airline security experts support the idea, saying screeners should spend more time looking for greater hazards, like explosives.

Members of the Air Line Pilots Association, meeting Wednesday in Washington, say they’d support loosening the restrictions.

They say screeners spend too much time now staring at X-ray machine monitors, looking for nail scissors, when they should be paying more attention to the passengers, watching for suspicious behavior.

For now, the government says while there may be changes in screening, no final decisions have been made about how to speed the process up while focusing on the most serious threats.

© 2005 MSNBC Interactive

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd love to be able to take my E2D with me, but am unwilling to risk getting it confiscated.

I take my Blackhawk Tactical belt with me.  Removed, that could be used as a pretty good defensive weapon, ie:  David and Goliath.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#2]
After the scrutiny I came under yesterday at DIA, it would be welcome.
The TSA JBT had an attitude like I had never seen. He actually enjoyed being an asshole.
I am a clean cut, clean shaven, atheletic guy, typically mistaken for either LEO or military (probably since I hang out with a bunch of cops and soldiers in places that cops and soldiers frequent)...still, I was the odd man out, and got to go into the big glass box for all the airport to watch, then I got the special treatment of getting wanded all over and asked arbitraty questions that couldnt possibly lead to any valuable info. (I swear I get picked on at the airport because I post here)

As the guy is finishing up, he tells me "You did good, your werent stupid like some people"
Then he proceeds to tell me all about the guy he "did yesterday" who complained about being seperated from his personal items, the TSA agent smiled and bragged about what a hard time his buddies gave him.

I just walked away while the asshole continued to brag. Obviously some loser that couldnt cut it as a real cop, now he is going to take out his issues on every person he has the pleasure of  'inspecting'.

And then of course there is always the jerkoff sitting next to me when I putting back on my belt, shoes, watch, etc......that has to mention to me that "well, its worth giving up some convenience if it makes us safer". I want to smack these people....and I see at least one everytime I fly.

These people would trade their first born if the governement told them to.
Fkng sheep.

I hope for the day I can at least carry my benchmade with me on the plane.....although I know that day isnt coming back.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am a clean cut

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am a clean cut

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#5]
If they allow knives back on planes, I'm taking one for my personal security...

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am a clean cut

As I typed that phrase I knew someone was going to point this out
NOT THAT CLEAN CUT!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard about one of these being accidentally left in a wallet and passing through airport security recently, no questions asked...

Photo from tadgear.com
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]
macro: After your little post I "feel" safer already. Personally, I don't see why taking away little old ladies knitting needles, nail clippers have to do with any security at all. Looking at all the passengers as a potential terrorist is tremendous expensive, and generating much ill-will. At some point with raising fuel prices, the airlines are going to go bankrupt, along with the TSA screeners jobs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't really concern me. I've walked through the mags and been patted down every time I fly. And I can still get through out with knives if I wanted to... probably even a small handgun. Having a prosthesis has it's perks. The TSA have never asked me to remove it and ever inspect it thoroughly. They do the explosive swab test and a hand pat down... neither of which are extensive enough to prevent me from entering a plane armed well enough to fight a potential hijacker.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I think that the moral of the story is, where there is a will there is a way.
Car alarms dont prevent theft, house alarms dont prevent intruders, taking away a boy scout knife from a child wont prevent a terrorist attack.

Any creative thinker can fly once and observe the security routine, then go home and formulate a plan to circumvent it. On a flight to Europe a few months back they gave me a glass bottle of wine, and a steel knife and fork!!! Nothing to even circumvent, just wait for the dinner cart!

The people that want to attack us have dedicated their lives to terrorizing us...the correct way to combat that situation is to identify the people in question and deal with them directly. Since our government (and most other industrialized ones as well) seem to have an issue with profiling, I guess 'really fighting a war on terror' isnt the priority, at least not as much as policing our own citizens.

I dont feel safer knowing that I am only trusted when I am unarmed.
I dont feel safer knowing that some TSA-ninja is on the job checking for contraband.
Frankly, the lack of attention to the real problem sickens me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top