Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 10:12:44 AM EDT
My son is on a fast attack sub based in Pearl Harbor.  He just called to tell me that the boat will be taking family members on a dependant's cruise.  Two days out of Pearl, run some maneuvers, surface at Maui and then back.  Sounds like a blast if I can get time off work and a flight out.  Any former sub guys know if this is as fun as it sounds?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#1]
can't say for subs, but for surface ships you get to do a lot more. Either way, they will give your son time off to spend with you if you go onboard. They will have a few activities for you all to either watch or participate in.
Suface ship tiger cruises get to shoot guns and watch an air show.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, it's fun as long as your just along for the ride and don't do it for four years straight.  They will probably do an "All Ahead Flank Cavitate" (full speed as fast as safely possible) and "Angles and Dangles" where they drive the ship at high speed like an airplane.  Might also do some fire fighting drills.  Pretty fun, you should do it.  Not many get to go just for fun.

Probably get a tour, cool places are Control, Torpedo Room and Aux Machinery Room.  Can't go back aft where the angry Nukes work, as it's all classified.  Submarine food is pretty decent too.

Ask the CO to "Pretty please let me go to Maneuvering!"  See what he says.

You must also pay homage to the SNOB and his belt buckle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#3]
tiger cruises are very fun.  getting to watch civies go up and down water tight hatches and the endless pointing and saying "what is that for?"  i recommend you go.    ask to see the "sea bats" that they caught earlier.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#4]
What ship and what does your son do?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#5]
While it may be fun for you, I imagine it would be a hell of alot more fun for your son.  I would do whatever it took to make this happen for him.  And give him out thanks.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What ship and what does your son do?

USS Cheyenne.  Sonar tech
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top