Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2001 7:07:49 PM EDT
I was looking through parts kits today looking for "Assault Rifles" other than the ARs & AKs. I looked at FALs, HKs, and some LMGs (BREN, etc.) I prefer to get a kit with the receiver included since finding a receiver for some of these might not be easy. I was looking at Interordinance and others who said they include a "Receiver Cut To BATF Specifications." But, I was looking on gunbroker.com and saw a Thompson M1A1 whose description said "Includes a receiver with a cut in the center as per BATF guidlines." What I am asking does "Cut To BATF Specifications" mean that the receiver has been ruined or is unusable. I can't figure out why they would cut it or as one site described the cut "demilled" it unless the receiver was being made unusable. If so, why the hell even include it with an otherwise good parts kit ?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, most times its two cuts, leaving the receiver in 3 pieces (I think the cuts have to be at least 1/8" or 1/4" wide per BATF) and sometimes the company selling the parts kit removes the center section.

Legally, only a C2 manufacturer can re-weld the receiver, in order to build a dummy gun you'd have to find a placer that sells a dummy receiver for the parts kit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Just to clarify, When I buy a gun I want it to work. I am not looking for a dummy or inoperable gun. I've found FAL and HK Receivers, but I'm gonna really have to look for other receivers such as the British BREN and The German MG-42. Does anybody know where to find a working (unmangaled) receiver for these guns?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
In parts kits you are getting torch cut _machine gun_ receivers, and unless you are a C2 manufacturer it is illegal for you to make them operable again.  If you want a Bren gun or an MG42 you will have to go through a Class III dealer to purchase and pay a fortune, not too mention jumping through the ATF's hoops and paying for a $200 tax stamp.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just to clarify, When I buy a gun I want it to work. I am not looking for a dummy or inoperable gun. I've found FAL and HK Receivers, but I'm gonna really have to look for other receivers such as the British BREN and The German MG-42. Does anybody know where to find a working (unmangaled) receiver for these guns?
View Quote

OK you're new. You cannot get receivers for Brens or MG42s. They are machine guns and cannot be legally manufactured or registered. And right now NO ONE is offering a semi auto only receiver for those guns.

HKs and FALs on the other hand DO have semi auto receivers available. As for parts kits, if the receivere WAS servicable it would constitute a firearm and would have to be sold as such.

Most parts kits are what was once a completely assembled and functional rifle that has been put to the band saw to render it a non gun.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just to clarify, When I buy a gun I want it to work.
View Quote

Well sir these are kits,this means you supply the receiver.if they came with the receiver then they wouldn't be kits,but complete firearms.as to your thinking that you can just buy a complete kit FA,well others have already answered that here.No flame sir,I learn something new every day,but you have 119 posts here,by now you should know the basic laws of gun ownership.mmk
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 4:11:39 AM EDT
[#9]
To answer the last question on your original post, they send the demilled reciever because then they don't have to pull the front stub off the barrel, and you can have the privilege of throwing the reciever pieces away, rather than they're having to do it.

Allegeheny Arsenal   www.mg34.com  deals in a lot of machine gun stuff,and if you're interested in that world, you might want to check out their site.  Be advised though, if you want to get a legal Bren or MG42, bring money; lots of money.

Link Posted: 7/19/2001 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I know the law. My question was for Semi-Auto. As stated here, appearantly they don't exist in Semi-Auto. Damn, I was hoping to get some nice LMGs that had been converted to Semi-Auto. When I emailed interordinance, they said nothing to the effect that the receiver was unusable and that they would be a Class III. I was expecting to find some receivers and build some Semi-Auto. versions of WWII guns to add to my collection. And there are kits that come complete. They are considered guns by the BATF, but are still cheaper. But, these arent ARs where I can pick up a receiver at any gun show. Are all BRENs and MG-42s Full-Auto. and therefore Class III. You are then saying nobody has converted them to Semi-Auto.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top