Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 5:26:30 AM EDT
My wife and I are talking about getting a Diesel car like a volkswagon. She is concerned about how often the injectors go out and what other problems they may have. She works with Auto ins. industy, and one of the people she works with told her to check into this.
thanks for any help
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:30:22 AM EDT
[#1]
guy i work with has a jetta tdi,  he has 40,000 on it with no problems.   injectors are fine,  you have to let it warm up a little in the colder weather.  it's not a jump in, start up, run off.   but the mileage as opposed to the cost per gallon is great.   good luck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Diesels tend to last quite a bit longer than gas engines. All things being equal, durability should literally be your last concern. Volkswagen used to make terrific cars, but they've had some serious quality control issues lately. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone else making small diesel cars for the US market.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:50:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I've heard decent things about the Jeep Liberty.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:58:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Diesel volkswagons have problems with the fuel system.  This is from a Volkwagon dealer service tech that I was talking to a bit back, the injection pump will go TU within 70-80k and costs a bunch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top