Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 8:23:53 PM EDT
I applied for the Sheriff's Deputy cadet uncertified job last week and got a letter saying when to take my physical and written exam.

I looked at the req for the physical and its cake,

my question is what is on the written exam?

after I pass the 2 tests i have to be examed by the board, what does that mean?

I guess i will have to take a poly graph what questions will they ask?

If I do pass everything will I beable to carry a sidearm? im 19 btw will trn 20 in NOV.

also im currently taking classes at the university any idea what the academy schedule will be like? or does it vary state to state

thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I applied for the Sheriff's Deputy cadet uncertified job last week and got a letter saying when to take my physical and written exam.

I looked at the req for the physical and its cake,

my question is what is on the written exam?

Probably hypothetical scenarios and basic LE-related questions (if they haven't given you any sort of instruction yet). But honestly, there's really no way anybody here can know. It could be about modern techniques in cow poo processing for all we know.

after I pass the 2 tests i have to be examed by the board, what does that mean?

Probably something akin to a work interview. Be prepared for hypothetical job-related questions and questions about your reasons for being there.

I guess i will have to take a poly graph what questions will they ask?

I find it odd that they would have you take a polygraph just for a "cadet" position. I am a Reserve with my local PD (which I'm guessing is about the same as what you're doing) and we never had to take anything close to a poly graph test. If this were a real LEO position, you might, and they'd probably use it when either A) asking questions about your background, or B) when you take your psych test (dumbest test in the world...."do you like flowers" "what is your second favorite color?", etc.). If you do have to take a lie-detector test, and if it is in fact for your psych exam, and you fail, don't worry. Those tests are really stupid and actually pretty hard to pass. You could probably take the test somewhere else and still pass it.

If I do pass everything will I beable to carry a sidearm? im 19 btw will trn 20 in NOV.

I seriously doubt it. Most (if not all) states require you to go to a police-academy type training course, and a lot of states require a college degree. You must be a certified LEO pretty much everywhere to carry a firearm, and while it may differ in your state, I very seriously doubt a 19 year-old "uncertified cadet" falls under this category.

also im currently taking classes at the university any idea what the academy schedule will be like? or does it vary state to state

It varies quite a bit, but expect a lot of hands-on stuff (as opposed to bland sociology and psychology classes at college). Simulations of real-life scenarios, crim code, report writing, etc. etc. are amongst the normal topics.

thanks guys

Yup.

If you are pursuing a LE-related career, I urge you to do some more studying about what you're getting in to. Talk to a college career counselor about what courses you need to take/where you have to go afterwards to be liscensed as a peace officer in your state. Keep in mind that it is really isn't that exciting of a job, 50% of it is writing reports in an office. There is also enough stress that, on average, the alcoholism rates for retired cops is over 70%, and the average life span of a retired cop is only like 5 years. Divorce and suicide rates are through the roof. Quite frankly, it is not for everyone. I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't for me. It might be just the thing for you, however, so I must urge you to do some investigatin' into this career.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]
They will ask you some normal questions on your polygraph, like age, name, any crimes, ever steal, etc..

And then they'll ask you some screwed up shit, like "have you ever had intercourse with a chicken?"

Answer "no" to that last one.

ETA: Think about your answers sometimes. The test is about finding how honest you are, which is key in a LEO position. If they ask if you've ever stolen anything, think back - have you ever used one of those pens at a store to sign a credit card receipt and accidentally walked out with it? Theft, but small beans... but maybe someone here will refute this, I'm not expert.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
No matter what  do not ever flip flop on your polygraph answers
they will try to come at you hard and mean with the " your lying to us!!!! come clean now or we will....yada yada yada "
then they will say your data looks odd we will have to send it out for futher review before we do that is there anything you want to tell us ( BTW  you will never hear anything about the futher review
the whole thing is a 50% accurate and they know it its just a mind fuck to try to get you to start jabbering and possibly let something slip
the poly is a sick joke
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Also-whatever you do, DON'T mention guns, that you like guns, what kind of gun you will be carrying, etc.  You will be washed out right away if you do.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:45:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Also-whatever you do, DON'T mention guns, that you like guns, what kind of gun you will be carrying, etc.  You will be washed out right away if you do.

I don't know where you come up with THIS line of hokey.  I bought a Springfield 03 from our poly examiner.   My background investigator's office was filled with gun posters. We talked for an hour just on varmit calibers.  

Of course, if you are the "I wanna be a cop so I can shoot people" variety (there are lots of them about) you are going to run into problems.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:51:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know where you come up with THIS line of hokey.  I bought a Springfield 03 from our poly examiner.   My background investigator's office was filled with gun posters. We talked for an hour just on varmit calibers.  

Of course, if you are the "I wanna be a cop so I can shoot people" variety (there are lots of them about) you are going to run into problems.

Yeah, one of the things that got me job offers from 2 pd's and a prison was the statement "Uspsa competitor that uses a Glock 22 so I'm familiar with the issue sidearm and its function.  Emt so I know it's an absolute last resort"  Lots of cops don't know crap about guns, but lots are gun nuts.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:54:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Don't ask if you passed when you're done with the polygraph test.

Shok
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top