Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2005 6:54:18 PM EDT
Sweet. Well out of my price range unfortunately.

Base Price: $65,800
0-60 in 3,5 sec
11.5 1/4 mile
1.05 g avg.
Also, peak lateral g measured was 1.18g.

Click

"A slight lifter "tick tick" at idle erupts into big-block fury under hard acceleration, thanks to butterfly valves in two of the four exhaust tips that are there mostly for drive-by-noise regs, but, once open (from 3500-rpm up to the 7000-rpm redline), allow the engine to howl at full song.

You wont have heard anything like it since they stopped running production-car-based Trans-Am races in the 1970s. We bolted our own test equipment to a car at GM's Milford Proving Ground and found it had grunt enough to hurl this 3147-pound coupe to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds, and nail the standing quarter in 11.5 seconds at 127.1 mph. That 7000-rpm redline is almost superfluous, by the way, because the weapons-grade torque seam is so rich and flat that third gear is about all you need for most occasions. But it does mean the Z06 will hit 60 mph in first gear (albeit just past redline)."

"Nurburgring's few low-speed corners probed the balance and lateral limits of the chassis. While understeer is theoretically possible, you'd have to purposely cook a corner and yank the wheel to find it. More often, g-loads high enough to separate platelets from whole blood (we recorded a peak 1.18g) give way to a gentle drift followed by throttle-induced oversteer--not the fast way out of a bend, true, but a helluva lot of fun. It's east to give the give-and-take interplay between front and rear grip with the Z06's throttle because the car's balance is phenomenal--not necessarily due to its near 50/50 weight distribution, but the way the tires' grip is distributed and, once exceeded, released to gradually and predictably."

"It feels a lot like a race car made just street legal enough to get a license plate, a bit like a 21st-century Ferrari 250 GTO."

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Dealers are asking $15K-$29K over MSRP.  I'm waiting 3 years.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#2]
WHAT?!
80 grand for a Vette?

So much for the poor mans sports car.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, I want one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Click

C&D report
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Wood inspiring.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#7]
When they make a corvette with more horsepower than mine out of the box...I'll buy it, until then, I'll keep my 98 550 HP corvette coupe!
(It is a nice car tho)
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#8]
If you wanted a 11 sec 1320 you could get one for a hell of alot cheaper than that....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you wanted a 11 sec 1320 you could get one for a hell of alot cheaper than that....

That go 190 on the top end?
That get 19 MPG?
that can run a road race course?
That have a warranty?????
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Far cry from the days when a normal working guy could buy Chevy's top performer.

Neat car, but for $50,000 you can take a good Mustang and send it to a race-stable and come out with something comparable. That addl. $30,000 will buy alot of hookers and coke to feed your middle life crisis.

Whatever. Homos drive Chevys anyway.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#11]
The new Z06's are bad ass.  It'll be a few years before I can get into a car like that, having kids kinda puts a hold on the two seaters...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The new Z06's are bad ass.  It'll be a few years before I can get into a car like that, having kids kinda puts a hold on the two seaters...

I feel ya.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

0-60 in 3,5 sec
11.5 1/4 mile
1.05 g avg.

I say again

There have always been more expensive Vette's................ L88, ZL-1. Corvette has often been considered the pinnacle of American made, reasonable priced performance.

For incredible performance you had to go WAY more expensive.

1.18 G IS INCREDIBLE PERFORMANCE.

It sounds like it is a Viper, or Ford GT killer.......................... what do those cost? Not to mention all them fur-in cars.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I always welcome the Z06 threads!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#15]
For $80k, it is still half the price of most cars its going against.  The only reason it cost $80k is because its very rare.  Hell, you will only ba able to get some 150 of these engines for the first year 1/2 atleast.  The new 3 valve engine is going to be very sought after.  Though I would like to see a throw back to the DOHC ZR1.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For $80k, it is still half the price of most cars its going against.  The only reason it cost $80k is because its very rare.  Hell, you will only ba able to get some 150 of these engines for the first year 1/2 atleast.  The new 3 valve engine is going to be very sought after.  Though I would like to see a throw back to the DOHC ZR1.

No such thing in an Overhead Valve Corvette.  The new motor is a bored and stroked motor with hhigher compression and tuning.  427 cubic inches, BABY!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No such thing in an Overhead Valve Corvette.  The new motor is a bored and stroked motor with hhigher compression and tuning.  427 cubic inches, BABY!

No such thing as overhead valve??? Or did you mean overhead cam?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the Red. He posted about a three valve engine, no such thing, the only 4 valve OHC engine was in the ZR-1 (which is/was much slower than the Z06)

The ford Triton OHC pickup engine is a three valve motor though...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Is this the one with the little hood scoop? I've seen a couple around here in the last week. VERY nice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the Red. He posted about a three valve engine, no such thing, the only 4 valve OHC engine was in the ZR-1 (which is/was much slower than the Z06)

I guess the wording just struck me as odd. What piston engine doesn't have overhead valves?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Hemi 5.7 and the New Vettes have OHV V8 engines.

Ford started using dual-cam V8s in 1991 with the Town Car (4.6L SOHC V8)
The Cobras had quad-cam V8s, same with the Falcon XR8, navigator (now 3-valve dual-cam), Mark VIII, Marauder, continental, etc...

The latest Ford OHC modular engine design is a dual-cam 3-valve V8 (4.6L SOHC V8 3-Valve) which is a variable timing system.

Ford is going to step up to the Hurricane 6.2/7.0L OHV V8 in the near future. As you can see, there is NO replacement for displacement and OHV technology.

As old as it may seem, OHV engines CAN be made to be fuel efficient (Mercedes Benz MDS + 5.7L Hemi V8) and powerful.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

As old as it may seem, OHV engines CAN be made to be fuel efficient (Mercedes Benz MDS + 5.7L Hemi V8) and powerful.

OHC is the oldest car engine design.  First auto OHC was made in 1896.  Those saying "OHV is old tech compared to my OHC" are mis-informed.

Those saying "my OHC is a much more advanced design than the 1896 design"  need to factor in the advances modern OHV have on them.

I'm tired of the "old fashioned" arguments from the OHC crowd.   Both engine types are new when you factor modern tech into them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#23]

That get 19 MPG?

That's around town.  You'll most likely average much higher!

I have two great-nephews with 2000 hardtops (what became the Z06 the next year) and my boss's son also has one, and I have gotten over 33 MPG in all three of them while driving on the Interstate.  I was with my great-nephew on a trip to Jacksonville from Charlotte, NC with him driving 80+ MPH, and he still got 28MPG.  Even when driving one of them hard in the mountains, I still got over 20MPG.  I'd like to hear some real-world experience before assuming the gas mileage is as bad as 28MPG.  I've read that in the highway tests, the EPA doesn't downshift from the top gear.  Sixth gear is so high in the new Corvettes that you should downshift during parts of the EPA testing.  The EPA ratings on the Corvettes, unlike some other cars I've driven lately, are very underrated.z
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That get 19 MPG?

I have two great-nephews with 2000 hardtops (what became the Z06 the next year) and my boss's son also has one, and I have gotten over 33 MPG in all three of them while driving on the Interstate.  I was with my great-nephew on a trip to Jacksonville from Charlotte, NC with him driving 80+ MPH, and he still got 28MPG.  Even when driving one of them hard in the mountains, I still got over 20MPG.  I'd like to hear some real-world experience before assuming the gas mileage is as bad as 28MPG.  I've read that in the highway tests, the EPA doesn't downshift from the top gear.  Sixth gear is so high in the new Corvettes that you should downshift during parts of the EPA testing.  The EPA ratings on the Corvettes, unlike some other cars I've driven lately, are very underrated.z

I get 24 mpg/31 highway.   That's in a 3300 lb Camaro.  A 2900 lb vette should get better.

Now if I race away from stop lights and keep pushing the pedal to the floor it drops off to 18-19 mpg.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess the wording just struck me as odd. What piston engine doesn't have overhead valves?

The term is based on where the valves are in relation to the camshaft, not the pistons. In an overhead valve engine, the valves are above the camshaft, driven by pushrods usually, and and overhead cam engine, the cam(s) are above the valves, and the valves are either driven directly off the cam, or via a rocker arm.

handy diagrams:

http://speedwaybikes.fortunecity.net/intro.htm
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That get 19 MPG?

I get 24 mpg/31 highway.   That's in a 3300 lb Camaro.  A 2900 lb vette should get better.

Now if I race away from stop lights and keep pushing the pedal to the floor it drops off to 18-19 mpg.

thats the fun of driving a vette. Wish I could afford one of these cars
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The term is based on where the valves are in relation to the camshaft, not the pistons. In an overhead valve engine, the valves are above the camshaft, driven by pushrods usually, and and overhead cam engine, the cam(s) are above the valves, and the valves are either driven directly off the cam, or via a rocker arm.

handy diagrams:

http://speedwaybikes.fortunecity.net/intro.htm

Thanks, I understand how pushrod and overhead cam engines work, I guess I just didn't realize that the name "overhead valve" was derived from the valve's position in relation to the cam. I thought it was in relation to the piston.

Being that it is in relation to the cam it makes perfect sense now!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That get 19 MPG?

thats the fun of driving a vette. Wish I could afford one of these cars

After 6 months of driving the car you learn to pick your battle.  There's no point in blowing the doors off of every honda with a neon sticker on it.   It's like a kung-fu master fighting a three year old.   You can still enjoy the car and get good mileage.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#29]
WTF, page 2 and no pics?!

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

0-60 in 3,5 sec
11.5 1/4 mile
1.05 g avg.

Click

"A slight lifter "tick tick" at idle erupts into big-block fury under hard acceleration, thanks to butterfly valves in two of the four exhaust tips that are there mostly for drive-by-noise regs, but, once open (from 3500-rpm up to the 7000-rpm redline), allow the engine to howl at full song.

You wont have heard anything like it since they stopped running production-car-based Trans-Am races in the 1970s. We bolted our own test equipment to a car at GM's Milford Proving Ground and found it had grunt enough to hurl this 3147-pound coupe to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds, and nail the standing quarter in 11.5 seconds at 127.1 mph. That 7000-rpm redline is almost superfluous, by the way, because the weapons-grade torque seam is so rich and flat that third gear is about all you need for most occasions. But it does mean the Z06 will hit 60 mph in first gear (albeit just past redline)."

"Nurburgring's few low-speed corners probed the balance and lateral limits of the chassis. While understeer is theoretically possible, you'd have to purposely cook a corner and yank the wheel to find it. More often, g-loads high enough to separate platelets from whole blood (we recorded a peak 1.18g) give way to a gentle drift followed by throttle-induced oversteer--not the fast way out of a bend, true, but a helluva lot of fun. It's east to give the give-and-take interplay between front and rear grip with the Z06's throttle because the car's balance is phenomenal--not necessarily due to its near 50/50 weight distribution, but the way the tires' grip is distributed and, once exceeded, released to gradually and predictably."

"It feels a lot like a race car made just street legal enough to get a license plate, a bit like a 21st-century Ferrari 250 GTO."

www.fusionwaste.com/007/Z06.jpg

Have any reviews published a recorded top speed?  All I have read is a "over 190" statement from Chevrolet.

Can she hit the magic 200?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
WTF, page 2 and no pics?!

Kharn

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I feel ya.  

Don't feel bad, I have the next best thing, a 4 door vette.  This is a much easier sell to the wife (dear, it has four doors, it's a family car!)

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
That go 190 on the top end?
That get 19 MPG?
that can run a road race course?
That have a warranty?????

Without gas-guzzler tax, too! Plus power everything, HUD, navigation, CD changer, etc... and it's a Corvette.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#34]
We make the carbon fiber fenders for the Z06 where I work.  There have been a couple of early Z06s floating around here that the GM guys drive.  They do look very nice in person...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top