Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2005 5:15:39 PM EDT
I found a use for my suped-up .95MW laser pointer: Crows. It's silent but effective at 3AM. Point it at said bird and depress the button. Within seconds the black creature notices a warm sensaton that quickly grows. Keep the beam on the same spot for a few more seconds and smoke can be seen. The animal departs. If you need rapid action aim for the eyes. One second later and the pest has gone. Granted now temporarily blind in one eye, but gone. Quiet is restored. Back to bed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Around these parts we use a shotgun, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Will that work on noisy kids playing in front of your house?

where did you get that?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The best anti-crow weapon is a CROWS:

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#4]
What the hell kind of laser are you playing with?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Nuke 'em from the orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Could you express your laser's power in terms we can understand, apart from 'bothers crows rapidly'?

I'm suitably impressed, honest.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Link to type of laser, please.

Pen lasers, DPSS type, are factory set to 5 mW; of those with adjustable circuitry, many can be adjusted to put out 15-25 mW, some can manage 25 to 45 mW, and a very few of them can manage better than 45 mW.  But at high power levels, you run the risk of thermal damage to the KTP/NdYAG crystals and the IR pump laser.

BTW, 0.95MW is 950,000 watts, which will vaporize the crow into plasma, and continue on through any trees, vehicles, or airplanes behind the crow.  0.95 mW is 1/5 the power of most factory green lasers and wouldn't make your finger warm if you left it on for a month.  I have seen some larger-than-pen DPSS lasers advertised in the 75 to 400 mW range.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you sure you meant .95 Mega watts(950,000 watts is over 1250 horse power) . Thats would not just cause some crow discomfort. It would blow holes in it. I'm guessing 95mW by the description of the effects. Even a 30-50mW laser will burn holes in things. I would love to play with a nice 250mW handheld. What joy I would have.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Are you sure you meant .95 Mega watts(950,000 watts is over 1250 horse power) . Thats would not just cause some crow discomfort. It would blow holes in it. I'm guessing 95mW by the description of the effects. Even a 30-50mW laser will burn holes in things. I would love to play with a nice 250mW handheld. What joy I would have.

http://www.laserglow.com/handheld.html
http://www.laserglow.com/handheldmoreinfo.html
http://www.wickedlasers.com/

I'm trying to find some bookmarks I had for the 100-500 mW DPSS lasers, but they're lost in my system somewhere...

Warning:  you can burn your eye out, or someone else's eye out, and you need to make sure you're complying with applicable laws.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#10]
so tagged for info.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

BTW, 0.95MW is 950,000 watts, which will vaporize the crow into plasma, and continue on through any trees, vehicles, or airplanes behind the crow.  0.95 mW is 1/5 the power of most factory green lasers and wouldn't make your finger warm if you left it on for a month.  I have seen some larger-than-pen DPSS lasers advertised in the 75 to 400 mW range.

Jim

BOOYEAH!  I want that for my neighbors d#@! dog!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#12]
One little spelling error and you'd think it's the end of the world. Megawatts you say? Oops.

Well, with this pointer I can cut black electrical tape, pop dark colored baloons, set fire to dark colored objects and annoy my African American friends. Crow's fall into the "perfect target" catagory. Since I live in the big city a firearm discharge late at night would not be in order, even for screeching crows. The pointer solves this problem. Also I sometimes feel like The Green Lantern when I aim it blocks away. You can see the entire beam.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#13]
"It's a frickin' LASER!"

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#14]
So what kind of power range would make an effective deer hunting laser cannon? 300 mW? 400?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I found a use for my suped-up .95MW laser pointer: Crows. It's silent but effective at 3AM. Point it at said bird and depress the button. Within seconds the black creature notices a warm sensaton that quickly grows. Keep the beam on the same spot for a few more seconds and smoke can be seen. The animal departs. If you need rapid action aim for the eyes. One second later and the pest has gone. Granted now temporarily blind in one eye, but gone. Quiet is restored. Back to bed.

Is it one of these?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top