Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 2:05:38 PM EDT
Anyone know how the Gulf Shores area came out after Katrina? All I have heard about on the news is New Orleans and Mississippi.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I just read a report in the B'ham News which said the Marriot hotel at Point Clear was under 12 feet of water.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
CNN Just showed parts of Gulfport. Lots of water. They said It was flooded at least 5 miles inland. The eastbound lane of I-10 is impassible due to furniture, appliances and debris from the flodd and winds, that area is probably the hardest hit, but not a lot of information coming out of there yet.

ETA I can't read, You said Gulf Shores. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
my folks live in orange beach. said it wasn't that bad. they are under curfue and not allowed to drive the beach yet but they said the bear point area got no damage at all.

Yeah..here in Ft. Walton the Gulf came over hwy. 98 in some places, our dunes are gone and any tree that has withstood the last 5 storms is still standing. Our dunes are gone, took 100 years to create and they are gone. From here to Gulf shores it looks like one big beach.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Any updates???
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I just left there.

Gulf Shores is OK compared to Ivan... Major erosion and washthrough on West Beach and very significant erosion and surge damage on Ft. Morgan.

Eastern Shore and the Causeway area are F U C K E D .

At least our major damage was localized in my area... The farther West you go, though...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just left there.

Gulf Shores is OK compared to Ivan... Major erosion and washthrough on West Beach and very significant erosion and surge damage on Ft. Morgan.

At least our major damage was localized in my area... The farther West you go, though...

What about the Flora -Bama?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
stay safe down there fiveO

Thanks, Man. We are good to go, just tired. We are so lucky that bitch stayed west I can't even comprehend. That could have so easily been us pulling out bodies today.

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just left there.

I've not been East at all but reportedly all is fine there and TBS is right, Orange Beach is fine. My family's place in Bear Point is missing a storm door. We are thrilled and thankful.

As you know, I'm sure, the Flora-Bama was pretty much destroyed by Ivan. What is there now is a mere ghost of drunken parties past...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I just read a report in the B'ham News which said the Marriot hotel at Point Clear was under 12 feet of water.

Not true at all. More like 5-6 feet and it was in and out. Damage is bad but not terrible.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad to hear that everyone there is pretty much OK. My fiance and I were planning to go to Orange Beach on our honeymoon in a few weeks, but I guess that is pretty much out the window.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Even with all the storms lately, I'd still love to live in Orange Beach.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#15]
That's where my family is originally from, have herd nothing from our kin back there as of yet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just left there.

The Flora-Bama always survives.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just left there.

The Flora-Bama always survives.

Ha Ha   I've had a few good times at the Flora-Bama myself..........great music and food
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#18]
The FloraBama was heavily so heavily damaged by Ivan, it had to be bulldozed under. There are plans to rebuild it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top