Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2005 1:19:57 PM EDT
My mother in law called my wife over the weekend, to tell her a pretty disturbing story. It was an account given to her by a friend's daughter, who went shopping for the day in a Mexican/Texas border town.

Both the daughter and her girlfriend (both around forty-ish) had decided to drive down to Del Rio to spend a weekend shopping, both  there and across the border in Mexico. They were going to visit a Mexican  pharmacy to pick up some prescription drugs for their mothers, do some shopping, then head back to Del Rio and stay the night in a local hotel. Their first stop in the Mexican town, whose name is not familiar to me, was at the pharmacy. They had their prescriptions filled, then decided to do some shopping.

The one gal tried on some dresses and found one she liked, but it wasn't in her size. The clerk there said she could get it for her in the right size if she could come back later in the day, so she agreed. She paid the clerk for the dress, and they went on their way. About an hour or so later, the two women got hungry and decided to eat in one of the local restaurants. Here's where the trouble began.

They both ordered their food as well as a couple of margarita's. The waiter brought the drinks and they each began sipping them. My MIL's friend's daughter took one or two sips, and felt extremely ill. She ran off to the ladies room and was overcome with extreme diarrhea, followed by vomiting. Once she had finished and composed herself, she went back to tell her friend, who was still sitting there. They agreed to leave, paid their bill, and left.  

They where standing outside the restaurant and the gal that had bought the dress decided she was going to go back to the store, to see if the one she wanted had arrived (enough time had passed by then). Just then, their waiter came out to the street with a tray with two more margarita's. He told them they ordered them during a "2 for 1" special, so he wanted them to have their second, which after all, was already paid for. They each took a couple of sips, then gave back the glasses and headed off. Immediately, once again the one woman was overcome with severe nausea, and had to run into a nearby shop to ask for their batroom. Same results, once again.

By now, she had decided she wasn't goping to keep shopping, and told her friend she would be going back to their hotel in Del Rio. Her friend wanted to pick up the dress, and told her she would meet up with her in a couple of hours, back at the hotel. They parted company and the one gal went back to the hotel, where she fell asleep for hours.

She was awakened by a phone call, and when she looked at the clock, saw it was 1:30 in the morning. She had slept for more than six hours. On the phone was the front desk manager, who told her to come downstairs to meet her friend, who was in trouble. When she got down there, she saw her friend, battered and bruised, and it was obvious she had obviously undergone quite a beating.

They went to a hospital and found she had been beaten and raped. Her friend had no recollection of the evening, after they had parted company. She was dumped off nsomewhere and ordered a cabride back to Del Rio. By now it was obvious that both were given a date rape drug, but it was the one woman's violent reaction to it that kept her safe (by vomiting it up). I believe the police were notified, but am unsure what the follow up was in Del Rio.

When my wife told me the story, I was steaming-both at what had happened, but also at the stupidity of both these women. As I told my wife, both of them should have been more aware of their surroundings, and in my estimation, should just stay the heck out of Mexico. I see no reason whatsoever to venture into that country, and this episoded only reinforces my opinion. I could care less how beautiful the beaches at Cozumel are. Mexico is a Third World country that can do little to ensure the safety of it's visitors, once you venture away from it's top rated hotel vacation properties. Avoid it!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#1]
SOunds like the stuff of urban legends. While it's true that Del Rio is a combat zone right now, I have my doubts that the incident as described actually happened. It's always a "friend of a friend" deal.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
So, why would they beat the woman up after giving her a drug to knock her out?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
SOunds like the stuff of urban legends. While it's true that Del Rio is a combat zone right now, I have my doubts that the incident as described actually happened. It's always a "friend of a friend" deal.

Why do you doubt this?  It happens all the time in town across the US and is not limited to Mexico.  Women have to be careful in this day and age.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Why would she drink another margarita after the first made her so ill?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you doubt this?  It happens all the time in town across the US and is not limited to Mexico.  Women have to be careful in this day and age.  

Just because the circumstances exist for a particular event to take place, does not mean that the event actually happened. It sounds exactly like a story I heard about Chiapas, El Salvador, Guatemala, Romania, Morocco and a few other places.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with DzlBenz on the validity of the story.
Plus why were they buying scripts' in Mexico?  Do they trust the 'pharmacia' anymore than they trust the bartenders?  Plus who would go out and drink another margarita after IMMEDIATELY puking up the first one?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#7]
That is some real fucking horror.  I would like to say I can't believe it, but I can...
I've been to Mexico twice, once alone to TJ, and then once to Playa Del Carmen with my woman.
Each time was a crazy experience. . .  nothing like what you've described, but I watched my surroundings and there is some real messed up shite happening down there. Sorry to hear about your friends. . . M4-CQBR
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I am sorry to hear about this.  This shit pisses me off.

As for you people saying you doubt the story, you must not follow the news very well.  This shit happens all of the time in the states, what makes you think it won't happen in that third world shit-hole?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Then there was this guy, who woke up in a bathtub full of ice.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Wait a second -- I lived in Del Rio most of my life.  Since when is it a combat zone???  I just left it in December?

Do you know what restaurant she ate at?  Ciudad Acuña (the Mexican border town across from Del Rio) has always been tame.  Never heard of date rape drugging or anything like that, not at any of the nicer restaurants in Acuña anyway.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Poor girls.  I was given that drug once and it made me violently ill as well.  Its hard to believe she was able to drink more of it.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#12]
The city acros from DR is Ciudad Acuna.  Know the area pretty well, was engaged to a DR girl and spent a lot fo time in that area over several years.
As for Del Rio being a war zone, I think you have DR confused with Nuevo Laredo.  DR is usually pretty quiet, it doesn't have the highways that NL and Laredo do going straight up to San Antone, Austin, Dallas, etc.
Checking the Del Rio News Herald, I see no mention of what would probably be a significant story.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wait a second -- I lived in Del Rio most of my life.  Since when is it a combat zone???  I just left it in December?

Do you know what restaurant she ate at?  Ciudad Acuña (the Mexican border town across from Del Rio) has always been tame.  Never heard of date rape drugging or anything like that, not at any of the nicer restaurants in Acuña anyway.

Pretty much my experience ther as well.  Acuna was always pretty tame, and most of the older residents of DR went across pretty frequently with no probs that I remember.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You still haven't.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much my experience ther as well.  Acuna was always pretty tame, and most of the older residents of DR went across pretty frequently with no probs that I remember.

Yeah even after 9/11 and this whole border problem, Del Rio seemed to be the exception to border horror stories.  Generally speaking, though, if you go to any foreign country, you should probably take someone who has been there and knows the ways with you, and that includes the hop, skip, jump it takes to get into Mexico.  Also, what the fuck was that girl thinking, leaving her friend there like that?  Geez, if it's such a BAD 3rd world country, you would think that two women wouldn't simply part ways.  Once again, I am a native to that area, and all the women in my family knew NEVER to cross without a buddy.  I'm not saying "she asked for it", but damn that was not smart.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I only live about an hour and a half away from the border, and have never been to Mexico.

I have no interest in visiting a third world shit hole.

But thats just me
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My mother in law called my wife over the weekend, to tell her a pretty disturbing story. It was an account given to her by a friend's daughter's aunt's sister's niece's god-daughter, who heard about it through a chain-letter email.

Fixed it.

And if the story is true, what else did two unaccompanied (and unarmed) women expect after drinking obviously spiked drinks in a third-world shithole and then splitting up?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Unless you enjoy Montezuma's revenge, why the hell would you drink anything there that wasn't bottled?

I fucking hate Mexico anyway.  3rd-world shitholes are not my idea of a vacation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I did a brief search on snopes but did not find this one.  

I'm gonna call X10 on this one anyhow.  It reads WAY too much like an urban legand.

I could be wrong.... but I'm willing to take the chance on this one.

Edit:  Why didn't the beat up friend go up to the room instead of having the desk manager call up to the room to have her come down to the lobby?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#20]
This is obviously bs.

No details, and its three or four people removed from the story teller.

Stinks of urban legend type mythos.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah I am smelling some defininte bs here.  No news of that in the DR News Herald (http://www.delrionewsherald.com/).  And if I know my old city, they would be all over a story like that.  That's big news in a little town.

GG go defame Laredo or El Paso.  Leave Acuña alone.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#22]
true or not , why would she drink it again after she threw up?     This happens every where, its not just mexico
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Unless you enjoy Montezuma's revenge, why the hell would you drink anything there that wasn't bottled?

I fucking hate Mexico anyway.  3rd-world shitholes are not my idea of a vacation.

Exxxxxxxxxxactly!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I only live about an hour and a half away from the border, and have never been to Mexico.

I have no interest in visiting a third world shit hole.

But thats just me

+2 and a very smart girl.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Moving to DR in a couple months - another reason not to go to MExico...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I am sorry to hear about this.  This shit pisses me off.

As for you people saying you doubt the story, you must not follow the news very well.  This shit happens all of the time in the states, what makes you think it won't happen in that third world shit-hole?  

It is bullshit.  Show us a link.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know about the drugs, but the beating-the-snot-out-of-her-and-raping-her is perfectly legit.

Here in Laredo and Nuevo Laredo, young ladies have been known to disappear, from BOTH sides of the border.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
My mother in law called my wife over the weekend, to tell her a pretty disturbing story. It was an account given to her by a friend's daughter, who went shopping for the day in a Mexican/Texas border town.

Perfect intro to an Urban Legend.  I heard from coworker's son's ex-girlfriend's uncle about gang members driving without headlights, the uncle flashed his high beam as a friendly reminder to the other driver that his headlights were off.  Well, at the next stop light, a bunch of MS 13 members jumped out from a work van with a temporary tag, which turned out to be bogus, after the headlightless vehicle swerved in front the the uncle's car to block it's path, then shot him with a full auto TEC 9.  Police reports think it's some gang initiation rite.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#33]
The story has got to be an urban legend.  That stuff can't possibly happen in Mexico.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Because it makes the story flow better?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I just came home and checked the responses here. Well, I guess I'll call the folks involved and tell them they were part of an obvious BS/Urban Legend. I know the woman who called my Mother in Law very well (it's her best friend), and it was her daughter who vomited after the drinks.

Why would she leave her friend alone? Probably because they had been down there many times before without incident, and there was nothing about this trip that was that unusual. They never connected the drinks to her violent reaction, but assumed it was something else. After all, it didn't affect both of them.

Quoted:
I agree with DzlBenz on the validity of the story.
Plus why were they buying scripts' in Mexico?  Do they trust the 'pharmacia' anymore than they trust the bartenders?  Plus who would go out and drink another margarita after IMMEDIATELY puking up the first one?

Why would they be buying prescriptions down there? Are you serious? Do you have any idea how many retirees do just that on a regular basis? My MIL and her retiree friends make regular day trips to border pharmacies, to save on the price of their prescriptions.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Edit:  FWIW, two women going to Mexico with no male companions is just STUPID.  My wife and I have been to Mexico a couple of times (just the border towns).  They're shitholes.

Not only that, but leaving your buddy alone to cross the border going back, because you want to try on a dress?  If true, that woman's a pig.  Her friend was obviously quite ill, but the dress was more important.  Whatever.  

I call BS.

"The woman's a pig"? A tad harsh I think, but then that's just me. All the one gal was doing was going back to pick up a dress, believeing she'd soon be seeing her friend back at their hotel. Again, this isn't the first time they'd spent a weekend shopping around border towns. I'd advise against it-any and all of them, but then I haven't made as many trips as these two had over the years.

So that's the story, and you're all welcome to call BS if you want. I know that's the ARFCOM way, barring any links to news reports, etc. I happen to know at least one of the ladies involved, so there's no reason whatsoever for me to doubt it, nor am I the least offended if none of you believe it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
...Mexico is a Third World country...

Ever wonder what a second or first world country is?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

and why would anyone with a brain split up in a 3rd world shit hole?
why do people act like Mexico is a good place to go to?
sure we make canadian jokes up here a lot, but chances are if they had split up in canada neither would have been drugged or raped
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#39]
If I wanted to visit a third world shithole, I could save on gas money and go a couple towns over.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I did a brief search on snopes but did not find this one.  

I'm gonna call X10 on this one anyhow.  It reads WAY too much like an urban legand.

I could be wrong.... but I'm willing to take the chance on this one.

Edit:  Why didn't the beat up friend go up to the room instead of having the desk manager call up to the room to have her come down to the lobby?

or the Del Rio PD, or get the US Border people to have the cops come take a statement
sure US cops aren't going to go into mexico, but it'd still be smart to get the alledged crime on the record
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#41]
did they steal one of her kidneys too?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#42]
mother in law's friend's daughter has a loser husband who beats her, she's too pussy to call the cops and leave him so she made up BS story
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
there was nothing about this trip that was that unusual.

except of course a margarita that causes not only vomiting but also diarhea from one sip
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#44]
last I checked it was illegal to bring scrips back from Mexico, heck there was even an episode of COPS where the DPS nailed some kids bringing scripts back across the border.

Sorry, I don't buy your story, unless the "friends" were pulling a Johnny Depp "Blow" trying to buy   " el pot"
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#45]
well,  true or not and I sort of doubt it,  I know this:

Mexico is a SHITHOLE of a country and I NEVER feel safe when I'm there.  The cops I've met are *assholes*  and I avoid that place like the plague if at all possible.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

+1  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

That was me.  I died.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was me.  I died.

I can never remember, was that before or after the spiders in your hair hatched and ate their way into your brain?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#49]
This fine Anti-Mexican Urban Border Legend brought you by....The Arizona Minuteman Militia's Ministry of Propaganda, Internet Dissemination of Disinformation and Rumors Division. Winners of the  prestigious 2004 Joseph Goebbels Award for racially motivated instigation of violence.

I think Jim Gilcrest's got it written into the fine print of every Minuteman's sign up papers that a prequisite for membership, is posting three Anti-Mexico Propoganda threads to internet forums each and every day.

The Minuteman Militia's "ends justify the means" willingness to use propaganda, should be a warning to us all of the true character of their oganization.

I want the border sealed as bad as anyone here, but the dissimination of lies and racist demonization, does no service to the cause of ending illegal immigration

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
So that's the story, and you're all welcome to call BS if you want. I know that's the ARFCOM way, barring any links to news reports, etc.

And I will continue to call BS, unless of course you can post any links to news reports.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top