Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2005 11:25:07 AM EDT
Ok, I'm the recruiting officer for my ROTC department.  I'm trying to come up with some incentives to use to get cadets to recruit other students into ROTC.  We've contracted some very good cadets from referrals from current cadets and want to increase the cadet participation.  Anyway, I need some ideas on items to give as recruiting incentives.  So far, I've thought of:

GorTex jacket
Gerber/Leatherman
Large ALICE ruck w/frame
Surefire flashlight

What other ideas do you have?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Surefire seems like a neat idea.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
SEBR- That would be one hell of a recruiting incentive for a college kid.

Yeah, make it a yearly thing. Most people who get others in gets a rifle. Or a 1911. You can get a decent 1911 for not a whole lot of green.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#4]
The promise of coed tents on FTX's?

Although, remembering back to the beasts in my ROTC class...it may not be a good approach!

Actually there were a few good looking chickies...especially one MSIV when I was an MSIII...she ended up branching MP, she was sweet. I got a pic of her and I at a MILBALL somewhere....

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SEBR- That would be one hell of a recruiting incentive for a college kid.

Heck, I'd even sign again if someone gave me one of those!  Unfortunately, the chain of command would probably frown on practical gifts such as that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#6]
an FN Five Seven or a USP
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Although, remembering back to the beasts in my ROTC class...it may not be a good approach!

Actually there were a few good looking chickies...especially one MSIV when I was an MSIII...she ended up branching MP, she was sweet. I got a pic of her and I at a MILBALL somewhere....

Well, we only have 1 female cadet right now and she's married.  Besides, I don't want to deal with the fallout that would come from this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#8]
How about a real nice knife...maybe a good Ka-Bar?

Wrangle some sort of helicopter ride from a Guard unit?

Hell, we had a local Guard Aviation unit transport us to an FTX site, they were flying anyway that weekend, eggbeater rides are always fun...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, we only have 1 female cadet right now and she's married.  Besides, I don't want to deal with the fallout that would come from this.

Yeah, Cadre frowned on fraternization, especially in the field (it did happen)
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hell, we had a local Guard Aviation unit transport us to an FTX site, they were flying anyway that weekend, eggbeater rides are always fun...

Hmm, knife might be good.  We already get the helichopper rides sometimes.  We usually try to get them for FTX like you did.  Probably wouldn't be able to wrange a ride just for a few cadets.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yeah, it happens.  It happens all the time at NALC and they don't really try to hide it.  It happens between cadre and cadets too.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, it happens.  It happens all the time at NALC and they don't really try to hide it.  It happens between cadre and cadets too.....

Shit, that could be dangerous! Get caught, goodbye career, in a hurry...

Speaking for me, a nice set of Gore Tex is a great incentive, a nice Ka-Bar like I said. the Sure-fire would be great, handy in the field. For the real gung ho (like I was) maybe a nice Tac-Vest...

I guess it would depend on the cadet, but there are some good ideas there....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
OK,
I know this is WAAAY out there, but how about, a scholarship?

And a T shirt that says on the front:

I have got a job after graduation
And on the back:

And I am not a dirt bag pussy like your boyfriend.

I can't give a scholarship to cadets who recruit other cadets.  Most of my cadets are already either on scholarship or are SMP.  I could give them money, but I was looking for something more substantial.  

I like the T-shirt idea, though.  My guess is the school administration wouldn't like it too much, however.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm, knife might be good.  We already get the helichopper rides sometimes.  We usually try to get them for FTX like you did.  Probably wouldn't be able to wrange a ride just for a few cadets.

Try and get a slot for Airborne or Air Assault.  The recruiters here get them for 3 good recruits in one month and will pass it on to the person who makes three good referrals in a month.

For lesser try giving UnderArmor, particularly in the compression versions these are nice shirts.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sexy schools.
Send them as a group to sapper school and get them a tab.  You are in Missouri anyway.
lickies and stickies are always popular.
Airborne and Air Assault are OK, but there are SCUBA slots to be had.
Be creative and hook them up.

Still like the T-shirt idea.

Surefire aviators look like the shiznit.

I'd love to send these guys to Sapper.  <cough>already did it and got in trouble<cough>  Cadet Command won't pay for Sapper, unfortunately.  We can't send them without orders because if they got hurt, the Army wouldn't pay.

What's a Surefire aviator?  Is that one of the flashlight models?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I have had ROTC guys take my Combat Life taker Saver class.  ( they are out there in Guard Units, just gotta look)

When I was in all I got was a ribbon.

I think you have some pretty cool stuff already but Knowing Officers the way I knew officers...

Maybe you might want to throw in a GPS.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#20]
An airsoft desert eagle. Counter-Strike kiddies will come in flocks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Well, we do have tons of computer nerds here.  Hmm, maybe the idea has merit.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

GorTex jacket
Gerber/Leatherman
Large ALICE ruck w/frame  good quality civilian ruck
Surefire flashlight

What other ideas do you have?

Thanks!

You don't want to scare 'em away prematurely with the Green Tick.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, we do have tons of computer nerds here.  Hmm, maybe the idea has merit.....

Yeah, but you can't call it a Desert Eagle or they won't know what it is.

You have to call it a deagle.

Remember that: "deagle".

New pair of good boots (Danner Acadias?)
Small GPS

How much are you guys able to spend?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

New pair of good boots (Danner Acadias?)
Small GPS

How much are you guys able to spend?

We can spend as much or little as we want.  I'm thinking no more than $150 per.  Would prefer to keep it less so I can get more.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#26]
My Recruiting district is paying for Dress Blues/Mameluke Sword for officer candidates who bring in enough referrals.

Not sure what your uniform purchasing schedule looks like or if you have anything on the Army side that'd compare to the sword.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#27]
2 Good Refferals- US ARMY Coin (there are some nice ones at the PX's). Go through a briefing about the history of coining in the Military to get them excited about a chance to get "coined".

3-5 A full Army ACU uniform, with boots. See Ranger's Joes and Quartermaster for commercial regulation equivalent uniforms cheap.

Weapons are nice but in todays school environments you will be putting yourself in a bad situation. The ammount of refferals of course adjust fire but do not make it too easy.

I am assuming you are talking Army ROTC if not subsitute the Army ACU with a larger Camelbak.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
2 Good Refferals- US ARMY Coin (there are some nice ones at the PX's). Go through a briefing about the history of coining in the Military to get them excited about a chance to get "coined".

3-5 A full Army ACU uniform, with boots. See Ranger's Joes and Quartermaster for commercial regulation equivalent uniforms cheap.

Weapons are nice but in todays school environments you will be putting yourself in a bad situation. The ammount of refferals of course adjust fire but do not make it too easy.

I am assuming you are talking Army ROTC if not subsitute the Army ACU with a larger Camelbak.

Good luck.

Yup, Army ROTC.  If you're talking about Brigade Quartermaster, they state their ACU's are not regulation.  I believe the one's from Ranger Joe's are.  Expensive, though.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top