Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 7:41:46 AM EDT
Does anyone here hate it when the turkey or chicken on your sandwhich (aka sammich) is all wet and slimey? I hate that. I don't want my turkey dried up, but when you touch it your finger should not become wet with goo. So how do you preserve your deli meats so they don't get that way?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobody wants to hear about your sloppy, gooey, slimy meat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nobody wants to hear about your sloppy, gooey, slimy meat.

Unless its pie I like my pie nice and wet.....and gooey...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#3]
argh!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Is this deli meat in your refrigerator at home?  Was it slimey when you bought it?  If not, the slime is caused by bacteria growing on the surface of the meat.  Toss it.  (And if it was slimey when you bought it, there is a chance it was stored improperly at some point and was going bad when you bought it).

If the meat your slices were cut from is overprocessed turkey-like meat-and-water-product garbage, that may also be why you are seeing this.  Make sure you buy from a decent piece of meat.

I'm not sure what turkey standards are, but I know that for ham, the USDA requires certain labeling depending on how much water has been added to the product.  The more water, the more processed and lower-quality the meat is.

Grades are:

1.  Ham.
2.  Ham in Natural Juices.
3.  Ham, Water Added.
4.  Ham and Water Product.

Turkey probably has a similar grading system.

I wouldn't go below 2.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#5]
dude, if its slimey its goin bad...not to mention turkey deli meat ain't just roasted breast-unless you're buying the premium stuff(and sometimes not even then). Roast your own; a whole lot cheaper too....

Wrapped fresh roast breast will keep a week in your fri(d)ge provided you keep your temp down. slice as needed. The whole keeps longer than slices.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
It's like that when I buy it and only gets worse after being in the fridge. I think it's just condensation, but I don't like it regardless.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#7]
How are you storing it?  What's the temp in your fridge?  (If you don't have a fridge thermometer, buy one.  They're cheap.)
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is this deli meat in your refrigerator at home?  Was it slimey when you bought it?  If not, the slime is caused by bacteria growing on the surface of the meat.  Toss it.  (And if it was slimey when you bought it, there is a chance it was stored improperly at some point and was going bad when you bought it).

If the meat your slices were cut from is overprocessed turkey-like meat-and-water-product garbage, that may also be why you are seeing this.  Make sure you buy from a decent piece of meat.

I'm not sure what turkey standards are, but I know that for ham, the USDA requires certain labeling depending on how much water has been added to the product.  The more water, the more processed and lower-quality the meat is.

Grades are:

1.  Ham.
2.  Ham in Natural Juices.
3.  Ham, Water Added.
4.  Ham and Water Product.

Turkey probably has a similar grading system.

I wouldn't go below 2.

You missed #12, SPAM   ( Slimy Putrid Artificial Meat )  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You missed #12, SPAM   ( Slimy Putrid Artificial Meat )  

Stuff
Posing
As
Meat

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I store my left over turkey in a "tupperware" type container lined with a paper towel to keep it fresh and dry.  My family goes through left overs pretty quickly so I never take any other precautions.  I suppose if it were just myself with a good amount of left over turkey a slice of bread placed in the tupperware container would help keep the turkey fresh longer.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#11]
eat it before it's 2 weeks old
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top