Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 7:39:48 AM EDT
We have all seen the dire predictions for several years of what could happen if what is happening was to happen (wow - what a sentance)....

I am curious if the Levies fail and over 80% of the buildings are dammaged or destroyed as is possible...  What should the Government do?

It is too large of an area to simply back fill so that it is above sea level...  If this happened now, it will happen again at some point so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to pump the water out of the city and rebuild (does it?).

Given all the possibilities of extensive polution, extreme property dammage, and potential huge loss of life (God I hope none happens) does it make sense to move an entire city to higher ground and rebuild?  

Is that even a possibility?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope.  They dodged a bullet again.  

Now, right or wrong, they feel even more invulnerable than before on Bourbon Street.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as what they will do and what they should do.... well lets just say I wouldn't count on any help from them for the average person.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#3]
yes it's possible.  humans have overpopulated places anyways.  who cares?

pro and cons to every location we live on.  Some are better then others.  If the people there choose to rebuild there city they should do so on there choosing and there money and power.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#4]
They'll rebuild it right where it sits, problems and all. Some folks just can't help but live close to the water.

I suppose you'd have to consider the historical significance of New Orleans, and how big of a deal it would be to actually relocate it. Not happening.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#5]
They should NOT rebuild. I know the area has a ton of history and whatnot but let's face it: Building BELOW sea level is just courting disaster. Like building under an overhanging cliff and then when the cliff falls going "Why, God, why???"

(of course I have the same lack of sensitivity for people who build 1 mile from a major fault line and when a quake hits, expect everything to be rebuilt...   )
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Um...the city is damaged, but using the term rebuilt under the current circumstances is a little chicken littlish.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#7]
they dodged the bullet
but if the media hype, or that initial NWS alert had come true they'd have rebuilt below sea level, even though it's the dumbest thing in the world to do

below seal level 600 miles inland is fine, on the coast is dumb
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#8]
turn it into an illegal alien internment camp like Club Gitmo, call it Club Frenchie
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Given that they dodged one bullet but still looks like they may get sunk from the aftermath... let's try this again...  Should they rebuild...  raise the city, or move the city...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Now they are saying that N.O. will be closed for at least four months before infrastructure is restored. I think that is a pipe dream.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#11]
www.foxnews.com/video2/player05.html?083005/cav_pol_chambless_083005&Your_World&Cleaning%20Up%20Katrina&acc&Politics&-1&exp

This is a harsher view then mine...

I just think we need to save the people and help them find a new place to live and New Orleans become a new Atlantis....  JMHO
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#12]
One prudent action during rebuilding would be to section the city with new levees so if a leve fails the flooding would be contained to that section.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top