Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 6:58:12 AM EDT

The aircraft shown are flights that have flight plans filed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Pussies!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:09:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Is that real, or a spoof?

Kinda funny looking either way.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:13:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It's real
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Okay, dumb question time.  Can they fly over the storm?  (Not that I'd want to do so.  )

I'm sure if it was possible the governing authorities still wouldn't allow it.  

Not unless the name painted on the outside is "Discovery", "Endeavour", or "Atlantis"

A garden variety thunderstorm can easily reach 30,000+ feet, with turblence going much higher.   Midwestern "super cells" can double that, so I'd expect a hurricane to be even worse.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Catch the wave, dude!  Get a pretty good tailwind if you're following the rotation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Okay, dumb question time.  Can they fly over the storm?  (Not that I'd want to do so.  )

Not unless the name painted on the outside is "Discovery", "Endeavour", or "Atlantis"

A garden variety thunderstorm can easily reach 30,000+ feet, with turblence going much higher.   Midwestern "super cells" can double that, so I'd expect a hurricane to be even worse.  

Don't they fly C-130's or something into the eye of the Hurricanes?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's real

That is a screen shot from Real Time data.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

I'm pretty sure they do now.
Used to use B-26s as hurricane chasers I think.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Yup, the USAF operates WC-130H aircraft, and the Navy also flies WP-3Ds into hurricanes.   Neither is able to climb over the the storms, and I don't think the ride is one that you'd want to be on.   Suprisingly, there have been only a couple of losses of these flights, and only one of those was a C-130 IIRC.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#11]
My Grandad was part of the B29 Hurricane Hunters after WWII. I have a flyer around here somewhere about them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#12]
There's no freakin' way that's real.  Those planes are HUGE -- bigger than cities!  And they're all the same color.  What are the chances of that?  Don't try to pull one on me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top