Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2005 4:57:34 AM EDT
Prayers may be needed for the roof as the CNN reporter inside the Superdome says the roof is coming off.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]
That could be catastrophic with the number of people inside.    This is why you should never rely on the government for your safety.   They damned sure should not have waited until the last moment to evac.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:59:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Prayers sent,but remember cnn lies.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:00:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Prayers may be needed for the roof as the CNN reporter inside the Superdome says the roof os coming off.

BigDozer66

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!  

Do any of you really belive that the Superdome roof could even be scratched by something as small as a hurricane?  That thing is a giant bomb shelter.

That's just more media hysteria.  

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]
no roof = no walls
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:08:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Prayers may be needed for the roof as the CNN reporter inside the Superdome says the roof os coming off.

BigDozer66

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!  

Do any of you really belive that the Superdome roof could even be scratched by something as small as a hurricane?  That thing is a giant bomb shelter.

CMOS

It is the other fools (reporters) they have, that are driving into the worst part of the storm to give us a realistic insight to the storm, that impress me!

The Governor of Mississippi said evacuate and the Mayor of New Orleans gave a mandatory evac notice but many people didn't go!

They said almost 100,000 people did not evacuate.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:09:35 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a 75 ton scoreboard that is
hanging from the roof acting as a ballast.

Probably a good idea to stay away from
that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:09:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Fox just reported the roof damage to the Superdome also
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm repeating myself, but when I lived in Tornado country we were told to avoid structures with wide open areas under an unsupported roof. Like a stadium.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Fox just reported the roof damage to the Superdome also

+1. Saw that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:12:58 AM EDT
[#10]
You thought New Orleans was poor and run down before.  Wait till the army of lawyers comes down and sue the city into oblivion.  I might add, some of the lawsuits could be legit.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:14:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There is a 75 ton scoreboard that is
hanging from the roof acting as a ballast.

Probably a good idea to stay away from
that.

A few years back a rodeo was setting up in the North Charleston Coliseum.  They were raising the scoreboard when it suddenly came loose and fell to the floor.  Somebody was underneath it.  Ugly.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:17:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!  

CMOS

If you are old enough to remember, the Louisana AG had a number of complaints about safety violations when the SuperDome was being built.  One of the complaints was that aluminum bolts were being used on the roof instead of steel bolts.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:17:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You thought New Orleans was poor and run down before.  Wait till the army of lawyers comes down and sue the city into oblivion.  I might add, some of the lawsuits could be legit.

I don't see how any lawsuit could be legit in my mind.

People were told to get the hell out and that the city would be uninhabitable for weeks, so how could someone sue, because something bad happened to them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:19:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see how any lawsuit could be legit in my mind.

People were told to get the hell out and that the city would be uninhabitable for weeks, so how could someone sue, because something bad happened to them.

Because they weren't told to get out soon enough, of course.  Because, until the government acted and ordered everyone to evacuate, they were all TRAPPED there with no way to leave.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Some people could not.

Nurses can't evacuate.

Police officers can't evacuate.

Firemen can't evacuate.

Power company employees can't evacuate.

Water company employees can't evacuate.

Nursing home workers can't evacuate.

Nursing home patients can't evacuate. (not all of them anyway...)

Tourists with cancelled flights and no rental cars can't evacuate.

Etc.

The people stuck in NO are not all idiots. Some have to be there because of their job. Some have to be there because Mr. Murphy screwed them.

A portion of that 100,000 are complete idiots, but that by no means describes everybody.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:23:45 AM EDT
[#17]
national guardsman on fox just said a protective lining is coming out and starting to leak a bit.  the structual part of the roof is unaffected so far.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:23:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Some people could not.

Nurses can't evacuate.

Some had no cars and I hear there were no rental cars or flights available.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:23:59 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a good thing the cane was not as strong as it was late last night and that it was a bit farther to the east. Otherwise, the Superdome may have been in serious trouble.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:25:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!  

CMOS

It is the other fools (reporters) they have, that are driving into the worst part of the storm to give us a realistic insight to the storm, that impress me!

The Governor of Mississippi said evacuate and the Mayor of New Orleans gave a mandatory evac notice but many people didn't go!

BigDozer66

No cars.

No gas (power outage yields inoperable pumps).

What did you expect?

It's a typical zombie infestation scenario. Time to bunker up and gets your weapons and ammo ready.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:26:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That could be catastrophic with the number of people inside.    This is why you should never rely on the government for your safety.   They damned sure should not have waited until the last moment to evac.

Who should not have waited until the last minute?  The people or the .gov?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:27:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Bingo.

Some people just got stranded by no fault of their own.

It happens.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Because they weren't told to get out soon enough, of course.

Well.. if they're so ignorant that they need to "told" to haul ass, then maybe Darwin should  have the winning hand.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:28:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a stickier situation than most.

With something like an approaching hurricane, .gov is darned if it does forced evacuations too early, and danged if it does them too late.

It is a loose-loose for .gov.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
..Wait till the army of lawyers comes down and sue the city into oblivion.  I might add, some of the lawsuits could be legit.

I don't see how any lawsuit could be legit...

... how could someone sue, because something bad happened to them.

C'mon, you know lawers make a living doing crap like this...

+1. Lawyers don't care if a suit is legit or not. They bill by the hour, right or wrong, win or lose.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#26]
FNC is now saying that it is actual pieces of the roof coming off, and not just some protective covering.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#27]
ok edited for being PC to dumb stupid people

it wasn't very concerned for them :) my bad
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:55:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!  

CMOS

If you are old enough to remember, the Louisana AG had a number of complaints about safety violations when the SuperDome was being built.  One of the complaints was that aluminum bolts were being used on the roof instead of steel bolts.

I am not old enough to remember that I don't guess?

It doesn't surprise me though.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#29]
news says everyone's being moved into the mezzanine, out of the bleacher areas. they say the mezzanine area (where the vendors and bathrooms are, are like a series of reinforced bunkers that were deliberately built this way to withstand disasters.

prayers out. even if a bunch of them are fucktards...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Ah yes, New Orleans, a city that only the French would have built.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Some people could not.

Nurses can't evacuate.

Senator Mary Landrieu (D)-LA said there where buses available to take the people out of NO at no cost to them.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!  

CMOS

As of now Fox News is reporting two holes in the roof that are approximately 6 feet wide.  I hope you are wrong, but once the integrity of the roof fails it is very possible for the 150mph winds to open the Dome like a sardine can.  

shooter
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Because they weren't told to get out soon enough, of course.

Well.. if they're so ignorant that they need to "told" to haul ass, then maybe Darwin should  have the winning hand.

We will know soon enough if he did.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Prayers sent,but remember cnn lies.

ROFL!!!

That's optimism and pessimism in the same sentence!!

GR
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#36]
They could probably use the fresh air with the A/C system off
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Senator Mary Landrieu (D)-LA said there where buses available to take the people out of NO at no cost to them.

BigDozer66

How did she have time to say that.....all I have heard her say is "I hope now the .gov knows we need money to protect our industry."

She sounded like a broken record last night and was still saying it this morning.

I agree with her.....but shit, we get it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With something like an approaching hurricane, .gov is darned if it does forced evacuations too early, and danged if it does them too late.

I agree it is a losing situation for the .gov.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:17:57 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1. Lawyers don't care if a suit is legit or not. They bill by the hour, right or wrong, win or lose.

Not in this case. If Fred the Homeless Drunk gets squashed by the scoreboard the only way any evil shyster makes any money on the deal is if they actually get some money out of the deal and the shyster gets his 1/3 of the booty.

Now insurance company lawyers defending lawsuits, they get paid win, lose or draw (although if you lose too many there won't be any more coming in the mail). Frankly the dumber the lawsuit the better because the insurance carrier will be more willing to put up a big fight which means a ton of hourse spent. Kooks that start their own frivlous lawsuits are the best, one can waste many many hours fighting with them and in the end one would normally squash them, best of both worlds, big bill for an easy win.

I forgot about the reason every lawsuit begins with an asset search...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree it is a losing situation for the .gov.

BigDozer66

People who could have left but failed to do so.   I'm sure there is alot of people who didnt have much choice but to stay and I'm also sure there's a fair number of procrastinators who didnt get off their welfare collecting asses and move when they could.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!  

CMOS

The news reports I read say the building is designed to withstand 120mph winds. Last I read, the winds were about 50 mph above that. That's almost fifty percent over the design limits.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!  

CMOS

The news reports I read say the building is designed to withstand 120mph winds. Last I read, the winds were about 50 mph above that. That's almost fifty percent over the design limits.

Upside:  There are many 'factors of safety' calculated into a building, which means that it is 25-30% over designed.

Downside:  The building is designed for 120mph GUSTS not sustained wind loads.  Sustained wind load design is probably around 85-90 mph.

Yes, I am an engineer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
There's a picture in the other thread of the hole in the roof from inside.

Yep.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!  

CMOS

That would be very interesting if it were true.  Where are you seeing reports of 170 mph winds in downtown NO?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!  

CMOS

BigDozer66

No cars.

No gas (power outage yields inoperable pumps).

What did you expect?

It's a typical zombie infestation scenario. Time to bunker up and gets your weapons and ammo ready.

+1 Zombie Survival 101

Avoid urban areas.
Don't count on support from your .gov.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!  

CMOS

Upside:  There are many 'factors of safety' calculated into a building, which means that it is 25-30% over designed.

Downside:  The building is designed for 120mph GUSTS not sustained wind loads.  Sustained wind load design is probably around 85-90 mph.

Yes, I am an engineer.

Lest we forget, when wind speed is doubled its force is quadrupled!

100 mph winds have four times the force of 50mph winds.  The difference in force between a 100mph gust and a 150mph gust is not 50% more, it is 100% more.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#48]
+1 Orders of magnitude
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

That would be very interesting if it were true.  Where are you seeing reports of 170 mph winds in downtown NO?

I have seen varying reports over the last few days. The latest I saw was 145 mph on MSNBC. Still significantly above the design limits.

It is a pity. NO is a great place and they are going to have big problems getting it right again when this one is over. Dead bodies from the cemeteries, pollution, 30 feet of water, etc.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:25:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have seen varying reports over the last few days. The latest I saw was 145 mph on MSNBC. Still significantly above the design limits.

It is a pity. NO is a great place and they are going to have big problems getting it right again when this one is over. Dead bodies from the cemeteries, pollution, 30 feet of water, etc.

Luckily I think they avoided those earlier predictions.  None of this has come to pass.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top