Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 9:56:18 PM EDT
I have a healed belly wound thats closed with staples. I am not supposed to go get them out until wednesday. Is there any reason if th wound is healed that i couldnt just take these out myself?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
And, unless you have the right tool, it's going to be a pretty painful experience.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah but these little bastards are killing me. theyre completely healed and are catching on clothes etc. im wearing freaking suspenders every day so i dont rip them out. this happened to me last back surgery where the sutures got healed over and it hurt like a bitch getting them taken out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
yeah but these little bastards are killing me. theyre completely healed and are catching on clothes etc. im wearing freaking suspenders every day so i dont rip them out. this happened to me last back surgery where the sutures got healed over and it hurt like a bitch getting them taken out.

It sound like it is probably too late, but if you keep the wound (?incision?) soft with some antibiotic ointment they are much less difficult (and painful) to remove.  A bandage over them will prevent them from catching.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#6]
this is my fourth major surgery in three years so im well schooled in wound healing. this one is healed completely except where i have superficially yanked the staples and caused a tiny little skin tear. by wednesday i guarantee i will have a bloody groin/belly area for the doctor to play with. my damned skin heals too fast and causes this each time i go to the cutting room. i end up having to get torn apart to get the things out anyway.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
yeah but these little bastards are killing me. they're completely healed and are catching on clothes etc. im wearing freaking suspenders every day so i dont rip them out. this happened to me last back surgery where the sutures got healed over and it hurt like a bitch getting them taken out.

Without the right tools, its going to be painful to remove them yourself. You also have to take into consideration that despite the fact that the epidermis may look like its healed completely, it doesn't necessarily mean the sub layers have also healed. There's a reason why they wait xxx amount of days before removing them...Have you tried covering the staples with hypoallergenic tape (available at pharmacies) in order to prevent your clothes from catching on the staples?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#8]
i am keeping it covered with a bandage and tape but during the course of the day it eventually comes free. also its sorta low on my belly and the hair in that region is just starting to come back in after the surgery..if ya know what im saying here...tape hurts.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Snip them in the middle with a side cutter and pull them out with a pliers of a needle nose pliers
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#10]
just ignore what the professionals have told you and go ahead.  I mean, they are just doctors right?  what the heck do they know?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#11]
guardian you have a valid point....but no one has specfically told me not to take them out !!! Anyway you cut it my wife would beat me to death if she caught me doing it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
guardian you have a valid point....but no one has specfically told me not to take them out !!! Anyway you cut it my wife would beat me to death if she caught me doing it.

The staples must not bother you too much then
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#13]
All I can do is shaky my head.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#15]
This whole thread
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#16]

+

=

-Derek
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#17]
even if you think it has healed you would be surprised how delicate the incision site is to "accidental stress"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top