Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 8:52:08 PM EDT
Sometime Thur. or Fri. the GodHatesAmerica group announced they would be picketing the funeral of a soldier in a small town nearby today. The info circulated Fri. and Sat., particularly in the veterans community. I went, hoping to do my part in preventing the whackos from getting close to the ceremonies.

I arrived two hours early, but the stage was already set. Town officials had allowed them picket RIGHT IN FRONT of the funeral home. I was stunned, just could not believe it! There was a significant police presence who kept everyone else back.

Now I realize that if a group follows prescribed procedures it can be difficult, even impossible, to prevent their activities. But, they do not have to be allowed to go anywhere, do anything, they want. "Demonstrators" are commonly restricted to somewhat isolated areas where they cannot totally disrupt other activities. In this case it would have been VERY easy to restrict them to an area two blocks away. I believe the town officials really screwed up on this one. Maybe they did not understand what this group was about, but with the number of police present I find that hard to believe.

I intend this post as a warning of what could happen in your town. They are going anywhere/everywhere. If you have any influence with local officials, or know someone who does and will listen to you, there needs to be some forethought and planning.

I hope none of you ever see, and hear, how thoroughly disgusting these #*^@#&%#! nut cases are. If it does happen in your town, and you are easy to anger and quick to act on it, do not go!

There was a time restriction on their "activities" and they left when time was up. The service seemed to have been coordinated with that time frame. The procession through town received the respect small towns give so well.

Yeah, it could have been worse, but I believe it was worse than needed to be. I will never forget my disgust.

Rest In Peace, SSgt.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
THe have been quite a few threads about that asshat Fred Phelps and his 'congregation'.

He is as Christian as Osama Bin Laden....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know what to say.  I really hope I never have to experience that.  I'm not terribly patient. Patty

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Now I realize that if a group follows prescribed procedures it can be difficult, even impossible, to prevent their activities. But, they do not have to be allowed to go anywhere, do anything, they want. "Demonstrators" are commonly restricted to somewhat isolated areas where they cannot totally disrupt other activities. In this case it would have been VERY easy to restrict them to an area two blocks away. I believe the town officials really screwed up on this one. Maybe they did not understand what this group was about, but with the number of police present I find that hard to believe.

The reason might be that they run the risk of being sued by the ACLU (under freedom of expression, I guess ) and the city doesn't want to take the chance.  

Just my guess.  My impression is that, in the instances when demonstrators are placed blocks away from the event they are demonstrating - it's related to the President, or some big event like the WTO, where a "safety" argument can be made (perhaps by the Secret Service).

However, without some compelling argument like that, it might be hard for a city to risk a lawsuit by moving the protestors.  This is how you end up with KKK rallys at city hall, and abortion protestors right aross from clinics.  Same kind of thing.  

I think picketing and protesting at a funeral is one of the most tasteless and disgusting things as well!  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Sad

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like this pic. Dont you?

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]
So what happened to the big Tennessee-style ass whipping that we had been led to believe was going to happen?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
What the fuck has happened to this country
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I ask myself that daily. I feel having a kid is my way of doing my part to guarantee some hope for the future.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What the fuck has happened to this country

bottom line: everyone is afraid to do anything anymore because they are afraid of getting sued.

and what are you gonna do about it? ............Thats what I thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top