Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 7:01:50 PM EDT
Bloomberg.com is reporting oil just went to 70 bucks a barrell, or 7% increase.  I'm trying to do linky now, but, my stupid explorer bar is being hinkey.

Nothing like Wall Street to exploit people's misfourtune.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm betting 75-80 by the end of the week.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#2]
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050829/ap_on_bi_ge/gas_prices;_ylt=Ats2M9URrvzHw5cJ.fxvFrx34T0D;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Record Gas Prices Could Keep Climbing By GARY GENTILE, AP Business Writer
33 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Retail gas prices hit yet another record high over the past two weeks and could go even higher before the traditional post-Labor Day driving decline ends demands pressure, according to a nationwide survey.

While gas prices usually peak in August, any major disruption to oil production facilities in the Gulf of Mexico caused by Hurricane Katrina could keep prices high even longer. The storm was heading for New Orleans Sunday with 175-mph winds and a threat of a 28-foot storm surge.

The average price for all three grades rose nearly 13 cents to $2.65 in the two weeks ending Aug. 26, said Trilby Lundberg, who publishes the semimonthly Lundberg Survey of 7,000 gas stations around the country. The figures were not adjusted for inflation.

That follows an increase of nearly 20 cents in the prior three weeks. Retail gas prices as measured by the survey have risen an average of 83 cents since early January.

The price increases were similar to the hikes seen in crude oil prices over the same period.

Although consumers have complained about the record gas prices, AAA expects a 1 percent increase in the number of Americans taking road trips over the upcoming Labor Day holiday weekend.

That's not as high an increase as in previous years in large part because of higher prices and an increase in the number of school systems that resume classes before the holiday.

"This year, September demand might be a bigger falloff than usual because of the higher prices," Lundberg said Sunday.

The level of damage caused by Katrina may extend the price peak beyond Labor Day. Already, some production capacity has been idled because oil companies have evacuated personnel in the area.

"One certainly hopes this is not an Ivan-caliber hurricane that did in fact do long-term damage to U.S. production facilities in the Gulf and did contribute to tighter oil supplies," Lundberg said.

According to the survey, self-serve regular averaged $2.65 a gallon nationwide. Midgrade was pegged at $2.72, with premium-grade was at $2.82.

Among the stations included in the survey, the highest price for unleaded regular was in Chicago at $2.84. The best deal was in New Orleans at $2.45 a gallon.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050829/ap_on_bi_ge/gas_prices;_ylt=Ats2M9URrvzHw5cJ.fxvFrx34T0D;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Record Gas Prices Could Keep Climbing By GARY GENTILE, AP Business Writer
33 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Retail gas prices hit yet another record high over the past two weeks and could go even higher before the traditional post-Labor Day driving decline ends demands pressure, according to a nationwide survey.

While gas prices usually peak in August, any major disruption to oil production facilities in the Gulf of Mexico caused by Hurricane Katrina could keep prices high even longer. The storm was heading for New Orleans Sunday with 175-mph winds and a threat of a 28-foot storm surge.

The average price for all three grades rose nearly 13 cents to $2.65 in the two weeks ending Aug. 26, said Trilby Lundberg, who publishes the semimonthly Lundberg Survey of 7,000 gas stations around the country. The figures were not adjusted for inflation.

That follows an increase of nearly 20 cents in the prior three weeks. Retail gas prices as measured by the survey have risen an average of 83 cents since early January.

The price increases were similar to the hikes seen in crude oil prices over the same period.

Although consumers have complained about the record gas prices, AAA expects a 1 percent increase in the number of Americans taking road trips over the upcoming Labor Day holiday weekend.

That's not as high an increase as in previous years in large part because of higher prices and an increase in the number of school systems that resume classes before the holiday.

"This year, September demand might be a bigger falloff than usual because of the higher prices," Lundberg said Sunday.

The level of damage caused by Katrina may extend the price peak beyond Labor Day. Already, some production capacity has been idled because oil companies have evacuated personnel in the area.

"One certainly hopes this is not an Ivan-caliber hurricane that did in fact do long-term damage to U.S. production facilities in the Gulf and did contribute to tighter oil supplies," Lundberg said.

According to the survey, self-serve regular averaged $2.65 a gallon nationwide. Midgrade was pegged at $2.72, with premium-grade was at $2.82.

Among the stations included in the survey, the highest price for unleaded regular was in Chicago at $2.84. The best deal was in New Orleans at $2.45 a gallon.

Thanks man.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
IF everyone cowboyed up and didn't buy gas for a day or even more they'd take notice I bet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks man.  

No prob bob.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
IF everyone cowboyed up and didn't buy gas for a day or even more they'd take notice I bet.

They'd notice when we all bought twice as much the next day.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
IBTECDSTD

in before the econo car drivers slamming truck drivers
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It would take a week atleast of a boycott for that to work.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Already BEEN here.....  Try and keep up, m'kay

I about passed out when I saw the signs recently.    So much for the "blood for oil" jackasses.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
WooHoo!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#11]
My cannondale goes about 15 miles per 12 ounces of gatorade...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#12]
We are over $3 in some parts of NY. I paid $3.09 for gas this morning on Long Island, most of the stations were over $3 there(Eastern L.I.).
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmm...how can this possibly be?  The good folks on the news quoted Opec as saying supplies are plentiful, they've increased production by 1mil barrels a day.

could it be....speculation??  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Does $3/gallon gas constitute an SHTF situation?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Not even close. Just think really hard before you go throwing around Molotov Cocktails.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Dusting off the motorcycle as we speak.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope to God I'm only paying $3 a gallon this time next month.  I'm going to bet $4 or $5.  We're just not that elastic when it comes to gasoline prices.  We've designed our society around the automobile.  It's really going to have to get expensive before demand starts going down.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I paid $3.099/gal today in Northern CA.

At least it's not European prices around $6/gal.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#19]
$3 is certainly a tragedy, but the Eurotrash have been paying at least 2-3 times that much forever.  We'll get used to it or we'll keep bitching and end up with Jimmy POS Carter like price controls.  How bout we build some GD refineries....ANWAR.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:12:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Fuck it! Time to trade in for a 4-banger.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Of course, gas prices spiking just in time for the Labor Day weekend.  You know the oil companies are happy about that.  I'm glad I filled up our cars last night.

Now we have to drive 500 miles to NC to visit my wife's family, and I'm trying to decide which car to take.  Is 10 more miles per gallon worth a tighter fit and not having cruise control?  Fun times.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not even close. Just think really hard before you go throwing around Molotov Cocktails.

+1 considering the high price of gasoline.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#23]
How the hell is gas getting so high?  I mean when compared to most other developed countries their gas is so high because of taxes, what is driving ours up so high so fast?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd say it was time to get a license plate for my Yamaha Raptor if it didnt burn $6/gal 110 Unocal
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'd say it was time to get a license plate for my Yamaha Raptor if it didnt burn $6/gal 110 Unocal

Funny. I was thinking of plating my KTM 200EXC. If traffic is in the way, I can hop a guard rail and go cross country.

Makes me think twice before I take the F-250 anywhere. A V-10 is not your friend.....lol.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#26]
We can all blame the Democrats for the current high prices.  They will not allow new refineries, the pollution control stuff on cars reduces the gas mileage, they will not allow improvements to power plants and they do not want any increased gas/oil production.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:38:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Dusting off the motorcycle as we speak.

man, wish i could get a bike. problem is the insurance would cost me as much as gas for my truck...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
How the hell is gas getting so high?  I mean when compared to most other developed countries their gas is so high because of taxes, what is driving ours up so high so fast?

corporate profiteering, pure and simple. every one of the big oil companies has made astronomical profits for the last few years. and this is above and beyond their operating costs...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm betting 75-80 by the end of the week.

Somewhere around 80-90dpb is at the same price back in the 70's.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:42:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I do wonder about getting my MC endorsement.   A little KLR 250 would be fine for running around on local errands.   I bet it would get better than 60ish mpg and cheap insurance.   IIRC they only cost around $1500ish.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I do wonder about getting my MC endorsement.   A little KLR 250 would be fine for running around on local errands.   I bet it would get better than 60ish mpg and cheap insurance.   IIRC they only cost around $1500ish.

MSRP is $4,249, which makes no sense.  I could buy a hell of a lot more bike for that.  I don't think it even has electric start.  It's a shame too, because I sat on one, and it felt great.  But for just a little more, I could buy a KLR650 or a Suzuki GS500F.  Not sure if that price is close to real-world or not though.  I just can't see the KLR250 going for that much.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I damned sure wouldnt buy a new one for that.   I've seen the old honda 250 streetbikes for under $1500, I'm sure the Kawi could be found in that ballpark.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

corporate profiteering, pure and simple. every one of the big oil companies has made astronomical profits for the last few years. and this is above and beyond their operating costs...

I've gotta agree....these scumbags use any excuse to jack up the price...uh-oh hurricane, jack it up, uh-oh instability in the middle east, jack it up, uh-oh, crazy guy in charge of Venezuela, jack it up, uh-oh....Bob here farted funny, jack it up....

Its amazing you can watch them change the prices st the stations with every move upward in oil prices, yet when it come down, we get the "oh it takes a while to catch up" excuse.

Its all horseshit...yes, I know that refining capability is a problem, I know we haven't built any new ones in a long time, I understand supply and demand, but lets be honest the oil companies use every excuse they can find to jack up the prices, but are VERY slow to lower them. They ARE taking record profits, and they are laughing all the way to the bank....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
IF everyone cowboyed up and didn't buy gas drive for a day or even more they'd take notice I bet.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
They will not allow new refineries, the pollution control stuff on cars reduces the gas mileage,

I'm sorry, but you do not know shit from shinola.  15 years ago, my truck would be lucky to break 10 mpg in town and 15 on the highway.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#37]
My SS Silverado barely gets 10 mpg.  POS
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#38]
My 99 V10 F350 4x4 long bed super cab get's the same 13mpg that my 92 F150 standard cab 4x4 with 5 speed got.    I'm sure that's a huge improvement over a 92 F350 4x4 SC
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:07:13 AM EDT
[#40]
87 octain has went from $2.70 to $2.98 in the last 4 days here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:35:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:18:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Doubtful...   Snopes rebuttal

Also, try this site for cheaper gas...    Gasbuddy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top