Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/28/2005 5:22:09 PM EDT
As most people here suspected, I just heard on the radio that in order to get into the Superdome and any other shelter you have to have all bags searched, and are not allowed to bring any weapons in.  Also, you can't bring in prescription medicine unless you have an id, presumably saying it is yours.  Now I respect that the government is going to have difficulty keeping order in this situation, but why don't they organize gun owners instead and use them to augment the police.  There are ways of maintaining order short of making everyone a sheeple, which appears to be standard procedure for .gov.

I will NEVER allow myself to go to one of those sheeple containment zones.  No matter what the disaster.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Organizing gun owners to augment law enforcement would be an unmitigated disaster.

Just read the gun show/ gun shop/ range story threads on this site to see what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not saying make them do anything hard, just use them to keep order if necessary in the shelter.  There has to be a better way than disarming everyone.  You're going to end up turning these people loose in a disaster area unarmed.  Bad mojo.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Great reason to not live in any metro or urban area.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Seriously, what would bringing a gun into the superdome do?  It's not like you are gonna organize a militia to fight off the invading hurricane.

It's called working against the lowest common denominator.  Do you know what happened last time the Superdome was used as shelter?  

which always seems to be the .gov mentality.  No you can't shoot the hurricane, but what about the weeks and months after?  I'd hate to be in the middle of that mess unarmed.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Words to live by.........
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw it on the weather channel earlier. National Guard telling people to leave their weapons at the door on the way into the Superdome. Undertsandable in a city like N.O., but it should be allowed for CCW liscense holders. I wouldn't want to be in that hellhole without a weapon.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Seriously, what would bringing a gun into the superdome do?  It's not like you are gonna organize a militia to fight off the invading hurricane. What's wrong with that?

It's called working against the lowest common denominator.  Do you know what happened last time the Superdome was used as shelter?  

ETA: this is why everyone needs to remember that you need to provide for you and yours.  Do not rely on public handouts/care.

A F'n Men
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#10]
It's called working against the lowest common denominator. Do you know what happened last time the Superdome was used as shelter?

No.  What happened?

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone who would advocate letting people bring weapons into that mass of panicky people is truly, and I mean truly, a moron.

What are the NG/Po Po supposed to do, say, "You, sir look like you are carrying this weapon to protect your family and the American way you may enter. Now YOU on the other hand are a New Orleans thug/banger and can not bring in yours..."?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutley.  We should all live in unabomber shacks and crap in outhouses.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#13]

ETA: this is why everyone needs to remember that you need to provide for you and yours.  Do not rely on public handouts/care.

+1, that's it in a nutshell people. You are resposible for yourself. NO ONE has a vested interest in your life other than you. You are a statistic, a casulty, accepted loss, etc. You are the only person responsible for your life.

1*

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You LIVE in an outhouse.  WTF do you think NYC is?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Wouldnt the superdome be the least unsafe place?

If that roof collapses it is going to kill alot of people,  same if there is flooding.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Anyone who would advocate letting people bring weapons into that mass of panicky people is truly, and I mean truly, a moron.

What are the NG/Po Po supposed to do, say, "You, sir look like you are carrying this weapon to protect your family and the American way you may enter. Now YOU on the other hand are a New Orleans thug/banger and can not bring in yours..."?

Again, typical .gov mentality.  Take away everyone's rights to deal with a few troublemakers.  There has to be a better solution that taking them all.  Check them in a room and give everyone a tag for when they leave.  Do something other than create 20k victims as soon as they are let out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I agree, I wouldn't think that it would be a good idea to let them in with weapons and I don't see the problem.  I wouldn't go to the Superdome for shelter any way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I saw it on the weather channel earlier. National Guard telling people to leave their weapons at the door on the way into the Superdome. Undertsandable in a city like N.O., but it should be allowed for CCW liscense holders. I wouldn't want to be in that hellhole without a weapon.

Those with CCW most likely left the city yesterday morning.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Pray for all the miserable SOBs stuck in the Big Easy for any reason.

Rick
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#21]
There is no way in hell that I would take my family to a shelter with 30,000 strangers cramped in one small place. The Superdome is a ticking time bomb. All it would take is for people to be stuck inside there when the power goes out, or a shortage of food and water or even the toilets back up and it would explode  into mob rule. A handfull of Cops and NG soldiers would soon find themselves either dead, powereless or part of the mob.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Seriously, what would bringing a gun into the superdome do?  

Keep that 7 foot tall black guy who was looking for a suite from raping your 12 year old daughter at 3 in the morning tuesday night.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The average demographics of those entering it are rather...interesting.

CJ

Interesting indeed! Well said!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Rely on yourself.

Plain and simple.

If you live in a metro area and are bound into .gov's mercy....

There ya go.

In case you ever wondered what would happen.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Come on.  The place isn't even rated for a Cat 5 storm.  You act like these people are ready to help themselves when walking into a shelter?!?!?!  

See Troy's reply.  He said it very well.

No. I'm not naive.  I know that perhaps 90% or more of those in there are scum, which is why .gov wants to disarm them, and is also the reason why I wouldn't want to be disarmed among them.  And not all those in there are the stupid.  I'm sure that there are some tourists or others that for legitimate reasons couldn't get out.  Frankly, I'd rather take my chances somewhere else that be disarmed among the vermin.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Again, typical .gov mentality.  Take away everyone's rights to deal with a few troublemakers.  There has to be a better solution that taking them all.  Check them in a room and give everyone a tag for when they leave.  Do something other than create 20k victims as soon as they are let out.

That is called .igottafuckingbrain mentality, Pal.

You ever seen who uses these places?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Did you see the guy on FoxNewsChannel saying that HE was gonna get a suite...

"They gots suites up in dere... Somebody gonna get a suite and dats me"

This was an African American gent that stood about 6 foot 10 inches tall and he already looked pissed... or a bit drunk perhaps...

Yeah, they need guns... If things digress when power or water... or a good flushing toilet becomes difficult to supply to the 20,000+ folks housed in the dome... it might get ugly Good grief.

I wouldn't put my family in that situation.

My wife asked me today what we would do if we were in N.O...... I told her we would have headed to Houston when the getting was good.

Fully armed, fully provisioned.

Good luck to any of you gents in harm's way...

PITSNIPE OUT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep that 7 foot tall black guy who was looking for a suite from raping your 12 year old daughter at 3 in the morning tuesday night.

Me and my 12 year old daughter wouldn't be in the shelter to begin with.  We'd have left DAYS ago, when it was prudent to do so.

And I truly feel bad for the people that woke up this morning, and realized they didn't have a way to get out of the city.  But if you're in that situation, you need to plan even BETTER than the folks that can readily leave.  Don't have a car?  Try to find some public transportation out.  Greyhound.  Rental car if you can.  Got a bike?  Got two legs?  Fucking use them.  There is ALWAYS a way to get away.

One more edit:  I think it's perfectly FINE to disarm all the folks that are going into these shelters.  Packed-full shelter + no lights + very hot + very humid + claustrophobic conditions = some motherfucker is gonna snap.  No telling if it's the banger-thug, or the "responsible" CCW holder next to him.  

I'm not a fan of "martial law" or anything like that, but you do NOT want armed folks packed like sardines in the Superdome.  It's a statistic waiting to happen.

No kidding I would get on a damn mountain bike to get out if I didn't have a car.  Hell you would probably make if farther than some people who left in cars.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#32]
The people going into that shelter have proven just by being there that they are not capable of looking out for themselves.  If you put your life in the hands of the government, you shouldn't be surprised to be asked to put your personal defense needs in their hands as well.  Anyone who thinks they should allow weapons inside in that particular situation is either naive or stupid.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like someone has no idea what NYC is actually like.  NY is the safest big city in the U.S., high paying jobs abound and there's more cultural and nightlife opportunity than anywhere in the world.  The only downsides are the gun laws and the high real estate costs.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Explosive is too light a word for whats about to happen in that dome.  Think about this, you are in a building with no power, no lights, no working sewage, no water or limited water resources, add to that the sound of destruciton that the storm is going to cause, ie. think of parts of the building being sheard away and just the frieght train noise that the winds will make and you have one thing.  Panic.  Panic is contagious and will spread like lighting all across this dome.  Panic causes chaos and violence.  No exposive doesn't describe what's going to happen in that building.  Think a nuclear biblical disaster.  We will likely never see anything like this again in our lifetimes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Will they be playing some Katrina and the Waves in the dome?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Under no circumstances would I enter such a shelter.

It took 4 hours or so just to get into it anyway.

That's 15 miles on foot.

The mandatory evac was what? 18 hours prior to landfall?

Plenty of time to get out of the "bowl", even if I had to crawl.

And there'd be plenty of opportunities to hitch along the way.

All that if plans A,B,C,D,and E failed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

That's 15 miles on foot.

+1

The bug out bags have everything I need and nobody in my family is unable to walk. There is still hours until landfall...

No way in hell would I go into that pit and wait to die.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's 15 miles on foot.

+1

The bug out bags have everything I need and nobody in my family is unable to walk. There is still hours until landfall...

No way in hell would I go into that pit and wait to die.

Exactly, I believe that the Superdome will become a Superbloodbath.

May the next few hours prove me wrong......
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#40]
"Amnesty Boxes" at the front door to collect " bad things"....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Thanks for making my point!  If you are seeking public assistance, you are at their mercy.  Plain and simple.  

As for your comment on checking the guns, this isn't a coat check at Tavern On The Green.  

Look, this bothers me for two reasons.

(1) I feel sorry for the non-vermin caught in there because of circumstances.

(2) I see this as an instructive "glimpse" of .gov's "large-scale disaster" plan.  If a nuke or dirty bomb goes off, I see the same procedures being implemented.  And in that instance it wouldn't just be the vermin who would be in there, but everyone.  I also think its telling that in situations like this, the people are viewed as something to be herded and managed.  They are the "other" to the government.  A better view would be to try and work with the people in some manner, at least the non-vermin ones.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
As most people here suspected, I just heard on the radio that in order to get into the Superdome and any other shelter you have to have all bags searched, and are not allowed to bring any weapons in.  Also, you can't bring in prescription medicine unless you have an id, presumably saying it is yours.  Now I respect that the government is going to have difficulty keeping order in this situation, but why don't they organize gun owners instead and use them to augment the police.  There are ways of maintaining order short of making everyone a sheeple, which appears to be standard procedure for .gov.

I will NEVER allow myself to go to one of those sheeple containment zones.  No matter what the disaster.  

The people in the Dome are sub-standard dregs. As I posted here tonight, the last time they were there they looted and destroyed the place, even stealing furniture whil TV cameras rolled. They are the scum we "backward Redneck southerners" despise.  Spend a night in the Dome and you to will learn to hate.
Besides that I cannot understand some of you guys and your "I got a gun and wanna been seen in a position of power along side of it" attitude. Arm the civilians, drop 'em in a crisis and expect them to rise to the occassion......right. Put down the crack pipe.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Well, as a criminal, it would definitely make my job easier, since the authorities have made it illegal for any of my victims to have guns...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
You don't want to be in the SuperDoom anyway.   I really think it's going to suffer catastrophic damage
and kill most of the people inside it.

The average demographics of those entering it are rather...interesting.

I would not go in there,  myself.   I'd simply run for the hills, dig a hole, jump in it, and pray.

With a snorkel, of course.   So I could get some air.

CJ

There are no hills....the Dome is rated for 200 mph winds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't care where I am, who I'm with, or what disaster just befell me- you tell me you're taking my gun, I'm either walking away or dumping the magazine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, as a criminal, it would definitely make my job easier, since the authorities have made it illegal for any of my victims to have guns...

And as a criminal, how would YOU get a gun into the Superdome to take advantage of this?  And how would you get out afterwards?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#49]
what good is guns without booze and panic thrown in
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like someone has no idea what NYC is actually like.  NY is the safest big city in the U.S., high paying jobs abound and there's more cultural and nightlife opportunity than anywhere in the world.  The only downsides are the gun laws and the high real estate costs.  

BTDT, never to return.  Keep it ALL.  Rats in a maze.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top