Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2001 3:58:39 PM EDT
THE UNCLE THAT WRESTLED THE SHARK ASHORE WAS FISHING FOR SHARKS, HAD IT ON A
LINE AND HAD BEEN FIGHTING IT FOR TWO HOURS PLUS.  

The unidentified stranger that helped him also helped him fight the fish to
shore.  
When the shark got into two feet of water, the kids all ran into the water in
jubilation and the
shark lunged from off the ground and hit Jessie Arbogast twice, took his arm
off and bit into his leg.  !!!!!!!

The man had CHUM in the water, and heavy tackle built to fish for sharks.    
His nephew got bit because the entire family went into the water trying to
wrestle the fish to land.  There is big money on a shark that size.

THIS IS THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH, AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

The press has suppressed the real truth, because they are afraid that it will
effect the contributions for Jessie and the uncle is so filled with guilt, he
has tried to commit suicide once already....Now it all makes sense. NO MAN is
going to wrestle a shark that large to shore in two feet of water, that is
one powerful animal, and they had cut the cable, and hide the rods by the
time the Medic's got there.  
The ranger that shot the shark testified that the shark still had the hook in
his mouth and
"put up a big fight because his mouth was all bloody and torn up"....(that is
why the shark had blood all over it's mouth in the TV photo's, it was it's
own blood !!)    

I am not lessening the horror of the event.  Jessie did get an arm bit off
and is going to recover, but I am tired of Pensacola Beach taking it in the
shorts because of the "whole truth not being told"....The money, in my
opinion would still come in, and the uncle will have to accept that it was a
tragic accident and a mistake.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, well, whatever...
I can't reallt speak to that...

But I have busted a billion sharks off Vilano Beach in the past...
Mostly Black Tips...
One interesting thing is the St. Johns County Pier strictly forbids Shark fishing... (What the fuck ever. We do it all the time)

Why?
P/R...
The touristias who have been swimming in the watter all day, and decide to take a stroll on the pier usually get a hell of a wake-up call when they see a 5 or 6 foot toothfish slapped on the deck...

"YOU MEAN THERE ARE SHARKS OUT THERE?!?! I WAS JUST SWIMMING OUT THERE?!?!?! "

Sharks aren't good for tourism.

They say that the movie Jaws was the one movie that singly affected human behavior the most...
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#2]
And you would have a link to a news story stating this "truth?"
If not, how would you know all this again?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
THE UNCLE THAT WRESTLED THE SHARK ASHORE WAS FISHING FOR SHARKS, HAD IT ON A
LINE AND HAD BEEN FIGHTING IT FOR TWO HOURS PLUS.  

The unidentified stranger that helped him also helped him fight the fish to
shore.  
When the shark got into two feet of water, the kids all ran into the water in
jubilation and the
shark lunged from off the ground and hit Jessie Arbogast twice, took his arm
off and bit into his leg.  !!!!!!!

The man had CHUM in the water, and heavy tackle built to fish for sharks.    
His nephew got bit because the entire family went into the water trying to
wrestle the fish to land.  There is big money on a shark that size.

THIS IS THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH, AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

The press has suppressed the real truth, because they are afraid that it will
effect the contributions for Jessie and the uncle is so filled with guilt, he
has tried to commit suicide once already....Now it all makes sense. NO MAN is
going to wrestle a shark that large to shore in two feet of water, that is
one powerful animal, and they had cut the cable, and hide the rods by the
time the Medic's got there.  
The ranger that shot the shark testified that the shark still had the hook in
his mouth and
"put up a big fight because his mouth was all bloody and torn up"....(that is
why the shark had blood all over it's mouth in the TV photo's, it was it's
own blood !!)    

I am not lessening the horror of the event.  Jessie did get an arm bit off
and is going to recover, but I am tired of Pensacola Beach taking it in the
shorts because of the "whole truth not being told"....The money, in my
opinion would still come in, and the uncle will have to accept that it was a
tragic accident and a mistake.
View Quote

You never mentioned where you got this information? I have never understood how the Uncle was able to catch the shark in the 1st place and this story makes sense but what is your source?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#4]
EVERYTHING is a conspiracy.  Good grief!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]
People at the hospital... Plus, the ranger made mention (on the local news) that there was a hook in the sharks mouth... It's one of those things lots of people locally know, but the news isn't reporting. There are just a lot of holes in the story.
Looks, I'm not saying the kid deserved it, I feel horrible for the kid. Or that anyone in the family did anything wrong or punished.
But, people in the local community are dontating money, blood, ect. Don't you think they deserve the truth, but the family won't even get on TV and say "thanks."
This is the internet and take anything written for what it's worth. Just because the media reports something doesn't mean it's true or accurate either.
If you believe it or not is up to you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
While I will also point out that you don't give a source for your information, I also don't live in Florida. It appears you do, so that counts for some credibility.

What really makes this story believeable is what Getsome already mentioned... As a SCUBA diver I know firsthand that sharks are FAST. No matter who you think you are, you don't just wade into the breakers and catch a shark just sitting there, or one that is alert (as it most certainly would be, if it just "attacked" a kid) and you can't swim after it either. NO FUCKING WAY, EVER. This has been the biggest and most overlooked piece of this story, IMUWO.

I tend to believe your "report" has a lot of merit.

Happy (tuna) spearfishing,
havoc
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Havoc, I SCUBA dive also and agree with you. I also have gone shark fishing at Fort Pickens (same place this happened.) The biggest I've ever caught wasn't a bull and only 4' and the sucker was strong, it put up a fight just trying to pull it by it's tail down the beach. Now you have a 6-7' 200lbs bull and a guy drags it to shore (in the water,) maybe, but I just find it hard to buy into. Then they call in these "experts" because the shark is "sick."
While I'm no shark expert... I also question what a 200lb 6-7' Bull shark would be doing 10-15yds off the beach in like 2' of water.
The kid deserves all the support he's gotten and is getting. But, a lie (if it indeed is) shouldn't be propagated to gain that support or to protect someone from public criticism, and just benefit a family.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#8]
First of all... BULLSHIT.

Secondly... BULLSHIT.

"There is big money on a shark that size."

BULLSHIT. A small/mid sized Bull is a dime a dozen here.  

"The ranger that shot the shark testified that the shark still had the hook in his mouth and..."

BULLSHIT. Testified to whom? The Zionist Occupation Sharkbite Consortium?

"that is why the shark had blood all over it's mouth in the TV photo's, it was it's own blood!!"

WHY YES! It was his own blood! That certainly could not have been from THE MULTIPLE 9MMs PUT IN IT! You may be onto something. So, BULLSHIT.

"The press has suppressed the real truth, because they are afraid that it will effect the contributions for Jessie and the uncle is so filled with guilt, he has tried to commit suicide once already..."

BULLSHIT. When has and why would "the press" give a flying &*%#? Your tale would make better press actually.

Finally, BULLSHIT.

Cite these claims if you can. I've talked with my peers at ECSO. I assure you the real story has been told. Sorry to disappoint.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Who at ECSO ? Were they on scene ? If not, they have as much creditability as I do. Of course if ECSO had shown up first on the scene, they would have shot the shark, the kid, the uncle, and their automobile. Joking: I like the guys at Escambia.

Your open to your opinon Five-O... Although, your tone is a bit hostile. I hope your a little calmer on duty. Now, wipe the spittle off your monitor.
Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong... I'm big enough to admit it. But, I don't think I am and a lot of people (yes, some of them wear badges too) agree with me, as I agree with the persons who initially told me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#10]
You are right.. too smart ass... sorry... I'm worse on duty.  ;)

There were just a bunch of things that jumped out at me as, well, bullshit.

I did have a bad day FWIW... Too, too many freaking lawyers in my face for a 8 hour period. I was more pissed by 0830 than most get all day. Sorry again!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#11]
jgage, I am not going to come out and say you're wrong...but I will need to see a source for this before I believe it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#13]
IT WAS LIKE THIS, DAMMIT!!
JEB BUSH AND KATHY HARRIS WERE BEHIND THE WHOLE THING. THE DONATIONS TO THE FAMILY REALLY WENT INTO GOP CAMPAIGN COFFERS FOR JEB'S REELECTION. JEB LOVES SHARKS!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:50:48 AM EDT
[#14]
One area of beach off the coast of Australia is known as 'Sharks Restraurant' Two Lads were eaten there recently, and their bodies were never recovered. Just chunks of their surf boards were left. Tooth marks indicated a white Pointer, size 4 metres or so.

Remember when in the water we are in their territory, and must accept the risks that go with it.

However in this situation in Florida, one should show authendication of such rumours. As rumours are just that. Supply some real evidence, and we will take it from there. Either way its a trajedy.

If it is true, I don't reckon it will affect the donations, a child has been injured, and thats that. We all hope this young Lad gets well soon, and again is out playing with his friends.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:07:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I've never been shark fishing or seen/touched a shark out of water (or in the water) but aren't shark scales "toothed" in such a way that if you run your hand over them the wrong way you'll get cut? If this is so, shouldn't Jesse's uncle have been bleeding like a stuck pig after wrestling that shark to shore? No mention was made of this that I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:10:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Sharks don't have scales the have skin. It is a rough skin, but not so bad it would tear someone up, unless the shark was swimming quick and "brushed" you at 30 mph or however fast they go.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 2:50:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Those 'scales' are called denticles, and have a 'grain', when you rub against them it is very abrasive, and you may end up with a graze breaking the skin. Going with the grain is like sand paper.

In a fair dinkum attack, with a bigger shark, say 3m, he prefers to attack from the bottom at speed, so he hits you fast, and thats it! None of this crap of punching him in the nose when you see him coming, or using a power head to save your life. He is coming at you fast, like a speeding car. You most likely won't see it coming. White Pointers, Makos, Tigers, Hammerheads, Bronze Whalers etc. Your last words (the same as the Mayor of Hiroshima ... what the fu*k was that?) They are know 'maneaters', and are as common as rabbits here on the east coast of Australia.

In all my yrs, I have only had one encounter with a shark, a 3m (+9ft) Grey Nurse (called Sand Tiger in America) in the Hacking River, near Audley in the Royal National Park, south of Sydney, in March of 2000. I was snorkelling. Maybe I was just lucky, as he/she easily could have taken me. I just slowly made my way to shore, and when my feet hit the sandy bottom, I felt much relief. I still go to that spot to snorkel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 3:05:21 AM EDT
[#18]
This animal loving...PETA Greenpeace inspiried communist crap of "being in their world" makes me sick...read Genisis...man is the over all stewart or the planet the animals were put here to serve man as man was put here to serve God...animals have no rights to kill man regardless..they dont "own" the ocean ..so it isnt their territory...between Shark Gordon, and the Shark Attack Files and touchy feely new age biologists and idiots who believe in the sanctity of animal life (while aborting a million plus human babies a year) really piss me off...the reason there are so many shark attacks is because there are to many sharks...they should be killed off ...eaten
turned into belts and boots...whatever usefull human products can be thought of period...in the land of OZ where these killers are venerated over humans and South Africa same thing...sharks should be killed and eaten until their numbers are so low they are no longer a bother...same thing with any other animal that takes human life..
I used to be a PADI instructor and no longer by their line on this PETA/animal first BS
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Dont fall for the PETA spin DK-Prof. In a previous career I was a commercial fisherman in Boynton Beach, Florida. When shark fishing(longline) the whole shark was used. The fins go to Japan(usually) to make shark fin soup. The core goes for commercial, food grade application.

As an ex-fisherman, we had many battles with "recreational" divers. The divers tell you, "you are the problem" and "you are hurting the environment" as they jump off their dive boats and scour the reef, leaving a trail of destruction!!!(I threw the destruction part in for good measure and proper rhetoric)

But it is true, some divers slip below the surface, and think the ocean is there own personal playground. They powerhead/bankstick fish just for the hell of it. They rip up coralheads in search of the elusive crustaceans. And possibly the worst offence of all Raid Traps!!

Commercial fishing is very un-PC, even though we provide food for the people of the United States. We were villianized(sp) just like another group that comes to mind.

This whole biting incident is just tragic. I feel bad for all concerned. All ways have be carefull around big powerfull aquatic creatures, even when they are dead, or close to it. Remember Never Get Out of the Boat!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This animal loving...PETA Greenpeace inspiried communist crap of "being in their world" makes me sick...read Genisis
View Quote

Isn't that a foreign beer? Or do you mean Genesis?  I mean, I don't expect perfect spelling, but it IS a book from your OWN Bible, you'd think you'd bother to know how to spell it.

...man is the over all stewart or the planet the animals were put here to serve man as man was put here to serve God...animals have no rights to kill man regardless..they dont "own" the ocean ..so it isnt their territory...between Shark Gordon, and the Shark Attack Files and touchy feely new age biologists and idiots who believe in the sanctity of animal life (while aborting a million plus human babies a year) really piss me off...the reason there are so many shark attacks is because there are to many sharks...they should be killed off ...eaten
turned into belts and boots...whatever usefull human products can be thought of period...in the land of OZ where these killers are venerated over humans and South Africa same thing...sharks should be killed and eaten until their numbers are so low they are no longer a bother...same thing with any other animal that takes human life..
View Quote

You know, I am by no stretch of the imagination an animal rights activist, but that has to be the most ludicrous crock of shit I've seen in quite a while.  You're basically saying that we should drive all "dangerous" animals to near extinction because they inconvenience us.  How uttterly stupid.  Whether you believe we were created or evolved, there's a balance to nature and arbitrarily eliminating species is sure as hell going to tilt the balance.  

I used to be a PADI instructor
View Quote

Just confirms my opinion of the quality of PADI instructors.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#21]
That's true.  I read somewhere on the news that Florida is now ban all shark fishing within 6 miles of the shore line.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#22]
As far as a total ban on shark fishing near shore goes, I have not heard that. Many public piers do ban it for several reasons. When you have a shark on they will frequently foul other fishermen's lines. It is difficult or near impossible to fully land them from a pier without disrupting everyone else. A wounded shark tends to attract other sharks, which will take bait, ruin light tackle and sometimes devour a smaller catch! The thing is that sharks are going to be attracted to all of the other wounded fish anyway so the value of a ban is doubious at best.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:03:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This animal loving...PETA Greenpeace inspiried communist crap of "being in their world" makes me sick...read Genisis...man is the over all stewart or the planet the animals were put here to serve man as man was put here to serve God...animals have no rights to kill man regardless..they dont "own" the ocean ..so it isnt their territory
View Quote

A HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:05:58 AM EDT
[#24]
[url]http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/news/9955341131001554.xml[/url]
 I think the shark fishing story is a rumor that was started, as for the shark being valuable or worth money on this area of the Gulf coast that is false.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#25]
A source, a source my kingdom for a source.  Ride the truth out so we all know first hand.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This animal loving...PETA Greenpeace inspiried communist crap of "being in their world" makes me sick...read Genisis...man is the over all stewart or the planet the animals were put here to serve man as man was put here to serve God...animals have no rights to kill man regardless..they dont "own" the ocean ..so it isnt their territory...between Shark Gordon, and the Shark Attack Files and touchy feely new age biologists and idiots who believe in the sanctity of animal life (while aborting a million plus human babies a year) really piss me off...the reason there are so many shark attacks is because there are to many sharks...they should be killed off ...eaten
I used to be a PADI instructor and no longer by their line on this PETA/animal first BS
View Quote

yeah, i can't wait until ALL the animals on Earth are gone...what a beautiful world we'll have when all the trees and flowers are gone too...then we can finally sit around in peace and safety and discuss what good Christians like you have done for the planet...which reminds me, are Jews and Muslims on your extinction agenda? we sure don't want any dissent in our new, concrete and steel paradise as we're choking for air while seeking the praise of our children who look at old, dusty pictures of a cow and say, "we used to eat these? i much prefer [i]soylent green[/i]"

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
...The ranger that shot the shark testified that the shark still had the hook in
his mouth...
View Quote

Lots of big fish have hooks in their mouths.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Dk prof...your liberal attitude is showing again...there are too many sharks not the other way arround...people first animals second..not the other way arround...I know its a bitter pill for you greenies to swallow...(should be easy though no animals were hurt making it)...I love it you say there are too many people....no shark attack on a human is acceptable...get it!...get rid of the sharks and they wont hurt anybody....boil em fry em bake em..put em in a pie...make boots belts hat bands out of em...
Now as to matter in Hand...anybody know what hospital the kid is in...
Ive got O neg blood and I would like to send some...but I dont want the friggen Red Cross selling my blood to the family...I want them to have it for free....thanks
hey prof...why dont you go feed a shark...feed him a liberal while your at it...
Former PADI ITC graduate......(PADI sucks)
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey FattyM4,

You didn't mention Hindus or Buddhists. Therefore they're safe???  Cool!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#31]
There are relatively few shark attacks. You are using the same logic as the anti-gunners. "there was a shooting.....we should ban the millions of guns not involved just in case." Just cause a shark attacks a person doesn't give you the right to exterminate all sharks. Even if it did there is what 2-3 fatal shark attack a year in the US?? There are more fatal car  v. deer crashes in WI than that. Maybe we should eliminate WIsconsinites, deers, cars, or roads before we go after sharks.

JUst cause we can kill stuff doesn't make it ok for us to kill stuff. Respect animals, thet're delicious... I support PETA, (People Eating Tasty Animals).
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I dont know if this is true or not, but how hard is it to not see a shark in 2 feet of water?  They say the water was muddy, but it is the ocean, so how muddy could it have been?
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#33]
For DK Prof - Not a harmless 'gummy' nurse shark (Ginglmostoma cirratum), a Grey Nurse (Carcharias taurus) - AKA Sand Tiger, Grey Nurse). Full of ugly teeth, and have been know to attack man.
I am no shark expert my any means, but have been diving since 1977, and know many species just by sight. A harmless bottom feeding nurse shark is a differnt species than a grey nurse. I shudda made that point.
Regards,
1feral1
Sydney
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#35]
DK-Prof,

Why do you bother with arguments of this sort? He's probably just baiting you now (a favorite pastime here). This is the Internet. You can find all sorts of people on the other end of the line. Shit, I've met folks who relish the opportunity for "a little ethnic cleansing."
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Just because the media reports something doesn't mean it's true or accurate either.
View Quote

Just because the media doesn't report something doesn't mean it's true, either.

I find it hard to believe that the media (loaded with liberals (read that aminal rights homos)) wouldn't fall over each other to report such a story.  I'm close to P'Cola (~35 miles) and have several friends who live there, but this is the first I've heard of this.

As I understand it, shark fishing from piers in P'Cola is illegal, but LE has turned a blind eye. A surfer was attacked in the same area a few days ago.  He was lucky.  I've sat on piers watching sharks swim within 20 yards of swimmers.

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Sounds like a rumor started by the animal loving PETA Greenpeace inspiried communists that 9divdoc talked about. FWIW I'm with you9divdoc. I'm surprised the animal rights wackos didn't protest against the killing of the shark. I'd like to eat a steak of it cooked on my George Foreman grill, then make a pair of boots from it's hide. Sorry, man IS the master of the "planet".
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, you can solve the whole mystery. Go to www.GulfCoastGateway.com Follow the link to todays story in the Pensacola News Journal. The Ranger who shot the shark, and witnesses, say NO SHARK FISHING IN THE AREA.
So, another rumor can be put to rest. And Jesse's uncle deserves an apology.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#40]
If man was truly the "master of the planet" then he wouldn't have to worry about being eaten by sharks, bears, gators or crocs, etc. Man is only master of the planet when he has his tools and weapons - without those he's nothing but a soft-skinned, defenseless, tasty morsel to the predators out there. What happened is Darwinism in action, pure and simple, just like it would be if Jesse was playing in the street and got hit by a bus (to be certain, a huge serving of bad luck was involved as well.)
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Read this:

[url]http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/news/071901/Local/ST010.shtml[/url]

Official report released by USPS Rangers, no shark fishing, water was shoulder deep for a child.

Apologies to the uncle are in order.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#42]
You know, for a group that normally bashes the media, everyone seems to be very willing to belive this story the way it was reported.
What has happened to our cynacism[?]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, I live just outside of P'Cola. I know most of the rangers 'cause I run the evening and midnight shifts on Navarre Beach which is on Santa Rosa Island. Fort Pickins is on the West end of Santa Rosa Island. The National Seashore begins where my county, Santa Rosa, leaves off. I have no reason to belive the ranger is participating in a conspiracy about the events of 2 weeks ago. Putting false information in an official report is called perjury. (I know, all anti-leo's start laughing now) But belive it or not, most of us don't lie on official reports. Billy Clinton might have gotten away with it, I know I wouldn't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top