Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 3:39:45 PM EDT
I was having trouble with my computer running xp. I traced it to a update  download from MS. I had to reload xp into a seperrate dir to get everything working.After messing with it for the whole day i mnaged to get teh original going. But the problem is every time I turn on my computer it shows 2 xp systems and asks me which I want to use. h

How do i get it back to running just 1?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You would need to reformat your harddrive and reinstall Windows again. You might be able to do file tweaking/deletion/uninstalling stuff and get it to work, but your file system would be extremely messed up after that. The time and hassle makes reformating the only viable option.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#2]
That happened to me on a Windows 2000 machine.  It got a virus and I had to install XP to get to the users data.  I found an option under the XP control panel that controlled how long the system waited at the OS selection option before booting.  I just changed the time to 0 and the PC booted up in XP without asking.  The Windows 2000 stayed installed until we got rid of the machine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You would need to reformat your harddrive and reinstall Windows again. You might be able to do file tweaking/deletion/uninstalling stuff and get it to work, but your file system would be extremely messed up after that. The time and hassle makes reformating the only viable option.

Ignore this.  All you have to do is edit your BOOT.INI file and eliminate the entry you don't want.  Then just delete the unneeded Windows folder.

Link
Link
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ignore this.  All you have to do is edit your BOOT.INI file and eliminate the entry you don't want.  Then just delete the unneeded Windows folder.

Link
Link

My method is a way of addressing the problem as opposed to working around it. There will still be residual files no matter how much deleting you do. Especially since you had to reinstall into a different directory. Since you encountered such an aggravating problem just by a mere Windows Update, I forsee future problems.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess rolling back the update was out of the question?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top