BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 1:44:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, mostly if it is exposed to freeze/thaw cycle tho. It will spall concrete but if you hose it off after a while it will be fine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If it did then there's a LOT of bridges that are in big trouble.

Of course, that might be a slightly different type of concrete.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Why do you think we have such crappy roads in Michigan? Lots of salt in the winter dumped, a freeze/thaw cycle, and rusting rerod from salt penetration swelling. [It can and does rust gas lines [[bare steel]] that are 4 foot + deep at the kerbline.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
fxntime got it right. It's not salt that hurts concrete, it's the freeze-thaw cycles that blow concrete apart.
Concrete is porous and soaks up water in small "bubbles" in the concrete. When it gets cold enough to freeze, the small voids full of water expand and break the concrete little by little.
Eventually, the cracks get to the reinforcing steel which then rusts and also expands, further breaking the concrete matrix.
The whole deterioration process snowballs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Good question, I know Rock salt is hell on Concrete sidewalks in the winter time!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Good question, I know Rock salt is hell on Concrete sidewalks in the winter time!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And lawns, as I found out last winter.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, saltwater will hurt concrete. You have to wash it off with freshwater.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Saltwater hurts concrete, yes.  But  salt does not directly harm the concrete. It gets into the concrete and rusts the rebar inside.  Then you have problems.  I saw it a lot at boat ramps and piers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you think we have such crappy roads in Michigan? Lots of salt in the winter dumped, a freeze/thaw cycle, and rusting rerod from salt penetration swelling. [It can and does rust gas lines [[bare steel]] that are 4 foot + deep at the kerbline.

What is this freezing and thawing of which you speak?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why do you think we have such crappy roads in Michigan?

Not that the winters help our roads, but the weight limit on trucks in MI is the highest in the US, IIRC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top