Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 12:05:08 PM EDT
I'd like to take a 3-4 day canoe trip next month with two newbies, within a reasonable drive of central NH. Reasonably calm water, good camping spots, enjoyable scenery, not crowded. Something along the lines of the Fulton Lake chain in NY. I've heard the Allagash in Maine is only good in the spring. Any recommendatons?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Try looking up around the Allagash in Maine ...I hear it is about as good as it gets
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about the Saco, maybe.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The Saco river is exactly what you described in your request.
Get a hold of me if you have any questions.  I live in Maine.

M4-CQBR
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The Saco river is exactly what you described in your request.
Get a hold of me if you have any questions.  I live in Maine.

M4-CQBR

IM on the way, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Try looking up around the Allagash in Maine ...I hear it is about as good as it gets

--------------------------------------------------------------

Allagash it's the trip of a lifetime!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Moose River? Starts up in Jackman, Maine I believe.......(I was raised in central Maine)
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I've read a couple times that the Allagash doesn't have enough water except in the spring. Don't know if that's true or not.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#8]
start on the Connecticut  river up in Vermont and go all the way down to Long Island Sound. you'll have to portage a few times though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've read a couple times that the Allagash doesn't have enough water except in the spring. Don't know if that's true or not.

Not true, I did a weeklong canoe trip in the Alagash while growing up in Maine.  Most amazing trip I have ever done.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want to canoe the Connecticut River, better go to NH to do it since NH owns the river all the way over to the high water mark on the VT side.

A really good 3-5 day trip is the West Branch of the Penobscot in ME. Start at Northeast Carry (Lobster Lake) and go all the way down the river to Ripogenus Dam at the southern end of Lake Chesuncook. I've done this trip 3 times. There are some fun little class II rapids, but nothing newbies can't handle.

Be careful on the big lakes. Chesuncook is 20 miles long and if the wind is north or south, you can get some pretty heavy surf. Its also damned difficult paddling into a 12 knot wind for days on end.

Its all paper company land so I think you have to arrange the trip with wyerhauser or whoever owns it now. Maybe one of the arfcom Maineiacs can clarify...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top