Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 9:13:26 AM EDT
It used to be one of America's great strengths that we assimilated a variety of different peoples in the great "Melting Pot". It occurs to me that we've reversed direction, and are ever more becoming a collection of hostile and disparate cultural, racial and religious groups. We're becoming as polarized as the Serbs and Croats.

(Blame this blazing revelation on an old OJ Simpson book I was reading this morning, talking about how the jury was selected specifically to consist of those with a grudge against whites and "the system". They weren't going to convict a brother no matter how damning the DNA evidence was.)

Anyway, I think the last groups to "homogenize" were the Irish and the Catholics.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]
It's  not "melting" we have to make sure that anyone coming to this country keeps his "culture"............................Thats all I am gonna say for now
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#2]
that's a deep thought?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
that's a deep thought?

Well, for a rodent it is.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
that's a deep thought?

Sounds Deep to me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
that's a deep thought?

Sounds Deep to me.

about a foot.............
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
that's a deep thought?

FWIW, I think the country is being Balkanized along conservative/liberal lines.

The number of recent immigrants is trivial, IMO. It might be signficant in areas, but it's not a big % of our total population compared to the historical #s
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
that's a deep thought?

The number of recent immigrants is trivial, IMO. It might be signficant in areas, but it's not a big % of our total population compared to the historical #s

............... historically the immigrant kept thier culture but also Americanized themselves.......Imigrants now do not seem to do that at all, they just "transplant" the culture they had at home........as an example  a lot of the Cuban community in Miami or a lot of "other" Hispanic" areas in larger cities........... .Springfield Mass for example..................I would say more but I dont wanna get banned before the big giveaway!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It used to be one of America's great strengths that we assimilated a variety of different peoples in the great "Melting Pot". It occurs to me that we've reversed direction, and are ever more becoming a collection of hostile and disparate cultural, racial and religious groups. We're becoming as polarized as the Serbs and Croats.

(Blame this blazing revelation on an old OJ Simpson book I was reading this morning, talking about how the jury was selected specifically to consist of those with a grudge against whites and "the system". They weren't going to convict a brother no matter how damning the DNA evidence was.)

Anyway, I think the last groups to "homogenize" were the Irish and the Catholics.

how about all the Italians that came in the 20s and 30s?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
that's a deep thought?

Depending on which figures you believe the number is not trivial.  I saw quoted from 12-40 million illegal immigrants as being here now, with approx 3-4 million more coming in each year. One of the threads today or yesterday here had statistics at 500k for the amount of illegals arrested for this year to date. Doesn't seem trivial.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top