Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2001 3:09:16 PM EDT
Would you accept a total ban on possession of handguns if open carry of longarms of any type (SBRs, SMGs, .50 BMG, etc, etc.) was legal everywhere in the US?

As much as I loath giving up any of my rights, I think I would be willing to if I could openly carry a more effective weapon like a Commando or a Krink wherever I went.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#1]
So many ways I would like to answer this but they all start with a good application of Napalm!

Absurd!

BTW...........where do you think giving up constitutional rights would stop if this scenario became a reality?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
NO WAY, LIKE HELL, WHEN PIGS FLY, WHEN CLINTON STOPS LYING, WHEN SCHUMMER IS FOR THE GUN OWNERS, OR WHEN SARA BRADY KISSES WAYNE LAPIERRE'S BUTT IN PUBLIC. IN OTHER WORDS NO!!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So many ways I would like to answer this but they all start with a good application of Napalm!

Absurd!
View Quote

Of course it's absurd. But I'd be willing to give up my "evil" handguns for nationwide open carry of more effective weapons, just wondering how others felt.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, but figure the odds....
Also, society would turn bad, quick.
Handguns allow us to "appear" civilized, to be gentlemen.
The open carry of long-arms and smgs would create a real hostile, nervous and edgey society.
...might be fun, though[:)].
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
NO COMPROMISE-----GODDAMMIT!!!!!....WHAT THE HELL is wrong with YOU?.........[whacko]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
NOPE!! NO!! NEGATIVE!! NO WAY!! HELL NO!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
...and of course, after we cut this strange deal with our BENEVOLENT MASTERS, we would have to ask Him to promise not to ban anything else.
I'm sure He would agree.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By black&green:
NO COMPROMISE-----GODDAMMIT!!!!!....WHAT THE HELL is wrong with YOU?.........[whacko]
View Quote

I don't really see it as a compromise, it would be giving up a marginally effective class of  weapons only some of as are "allowed" to carry in the "proper" places to have more effective weapons available for everybody wherever you are.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sorry, but going everywhere with my Mossberg 590 strapped to my back would be more than a little awkward.  Where am I supposed to put it in the restaurant?  The theater?

Handguns have no military purpose?  Excuse me?  How many Beretta 92's did the Army recently buy?  What for?

Let's condense the above arguments.

[size=5][red]HELL NO![/size=5][/red]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#12]
...slippery slope.
It's like inviting a vampire into your home.

We would be GIVING UP a God-given right, in exchange for a right that we, arguably, already have.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Major Murphy:
...and of course, after we cut this strange deal with our BENEVOLENT MASTERS, we would have to ask Him to promise not to ban anything else.
I'm sure He would agree.
View Quote

It is a [b]HYPOTHETICAL[/b] question, once the deal is made, that is it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I'll agree to it if all the handguns in the world just POOF!, disappear.  
...and for some magical reason, they can't be made again.
Deal.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#16]
The biggest problem is that most rifles cannot be safely carried with in the ready to use position. By that I mean, I pull the trigger, the perp drops or I pull the trigger a the hammer and boom the perp drops. Also, what about Short Barrels. For example, what about 14" Shotguns or M4s. A rifle is too cumbersome to be a practical carry weapon. Most rifles with hammers that can be "De-Cocked" as in tapping the trigger wouldn't cause an accidental firing are single-shot. Single-Barreled Shotguns and Winchester Carbines could be carried in a ready to use fashion. But, exactly how useful is a one-shot gun in a firefight. Show me a select-fire rifle that can be de-cocked without firing and then recocked in an instant and I might consider. Also, they would have to allow me to have Barrels shorter than 16"/18". Possibly eliminate the overall length requirement. This would allow for the creation of more effective (Carry) Bullpups. Then again  it is much easier to get the drop on a guy with a rifle since it is not concealed from view. A concealed weapon is more effective since the perp doesn't see it coming. Possibly, a Select-Fire Rifle with an action similar to a pistol. Such as, I pull the trigger, then the bolt carrier pushes a hammer (outwardly visible) back into a cocked position. Then, the user could hold the hammer and pull the trigger so that it could be carried. Possibly, if we were allowed to carry a sidearm that could be used in order to hold 'em off until I get my rifle. As once said "A sidearm is for holding 'em off until you can get to a rifle" Also, there are many places I can't take my rifle.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#17]
btt
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#18]
You need to put the crack pipe down

NO COMPROMISE ON MY RIGHTS BUDDY.
[50]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#19]
[:O]One word.....

[blue]RIDICULOUS![/blue]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top