BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 12:32:27 AM EDT
The other day some hikers IIRC passed an organized hike
and a short distance down the trail they were surprised by a bear
they got chewed on a little bit and fell down a small cliff escaping him
I have seen some high scofield? unit sprays for bears and some for humans

the question is............what should I get for BOTH, not that I expect to have to deal with bears
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Lead.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure is the spray will stop Mr hungy carnivorous bear it'll stop mr aggresive sandal wearin hippie......
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:41:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Lead.

Seems to be a universal cure-all.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lead.

Yeah, but I only have the ineffective .22 and 9mm
(so, I want some KILLER spray)
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:44:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd carry a big bottle of 45-70 in bear country if it's legal, but I'm sure even a small can of 44 mag would be better than some herbs.

Get the strongest stuff you can get.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd carry a big bottle of 45-70 in bear country if it's legal, but I'm sure even a small can of 44 mag would be better than some herbs.

American Derringer makes a nice little 45/70   Not sure I'd want to pull the trigger though unless being eaten.   Even then I'd think twice about it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:51:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I will probably have to be "deep" concealed with any hiking groups

the .22 should take care of most short range problems, but not a bear

also, I want to get the best spray for the city(and country travel too)

I just thought an oc, cs spray thread would be a good idea
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey, you know they did make that animal taser. Remember the bull that went all stiff legged and fell over?
That might work on bears. And if you hit a human with it it'd probably make his testicles explode.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:55:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hey, you know they did make that animal taser. Remember the bull that went all stiff legged and fell over?
That might work on bears. And if you hit a human with it it'd probably make his testicles explode.

I would be interested in a taser...........
but not against a LANDSHARK
(with thick fur)
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember seeing a party can sized unit called Bear Guard.  It was sold in a few gunshops.   Not sure if it's still on the market or not.    You never know the bear might like it's food seasoned with a bit of kick to it.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I remember seeing a party can sized unit called Bear Guard.  It was sold in a few gunshops.   Not sure if it's still on the market or not.    You never know the bear might like it's food seasoned with a bit of kick to it.  

Great, I could run into a mexican bear that would appreciate a little seasoning
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:06:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#13]
When he opens his jaws to eat you, drop one of these down his throat.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:28:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Saw one for bears with 3mil units
and one for people with 5.3mil units
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:37:26 AM EDT
[#15]
... Due to the rising frequency of human-bear encounters, the Texas Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen, and any persons that use the out-of-doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

... We advise the outdoorsmen to wear noisy little bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don't take them by suprise.

... We also advise anyone using the out-of-doors to carry "Pepper Spray" with him or her in case of an encounter with a bear.

... Outdoorsmen should also be able on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between Black Bear shit and Grizzly Bear shit. Black Bear shit is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly Bear shit has bells in it, and smells like pepper.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:40:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
... Due to the rising frequency of human-bear encounters, the Texas Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen, and any persons that use the out-of-doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

... We advise the outdoorsmen to wear noisy little bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don't take them by suprise.

... We also advise anyone using the out-of-doors to carry "Pepper Spray" with him or her in case of an encounter with a bear.

... Outdoorsmen should also be able on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between Black Bear shit and Grizzly Bear shit. Black Bear shit is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly Bear shit has bells in it, and smells like pepper.

I am NOT going to wear bells
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:15:56 AM EDT
[#17]
A Glock in .40 did a number on a momma brown bear a few years ago around town.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:27:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:31:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

American Derringer makes a nice little 45/70   Not sure I'd want to pull the trigger though unless being eaten.   Even then I'd think twice about it.

Once he takes a couple of bites you won't even notice the recoil(or hear the shot over the screaming)
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thanks, I needed that this AM.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#21]
A couple months ago some city slickers were in Glacier National Park in northern montana and saw the bear warning signs.

So the parents pulled out some of that bear repellant spray and applied to their kids, including on their faces, so the bear wouldnt' be attracted to them.

Yup, they almost died and had to get airlifted out.

(No joke, really happened)
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lead.

Yeah, but I only have the ineffective .22 and 9mm
(so, I want some KILLER spray)

Kinda like wanting to go pole vaulting without actually having a pole, huh.  Consider a bear killing caliber firearm as part of your necessary items to participate in this passtime.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Can you run faster than the hippes in the group?  If so, then don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#24]
pack a can of .454 Casull.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#25]
[Jimmy Carter]If I could just sit down one on one, and talk with the bear, appealing to it as a fellow mammal, I'm sure it wouldn't eat me. [/Jimmy Carter]

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
A couple months ago some city slickers were in Glacier National Park in northern montana and saw the bear warning signs.

So the parents pulled out some of that bear repellant spray and applied to their kids, including on their faces, so the bear wouldnt' be attracted to them.

I bet there is big warnings and directions all over the bottle too.  Stupid parents almost killed their kids.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quote:

Now I have had plenty of close encounters with predators up here, especially Black Bear. Today, I get out on remote walking trail and my dog runs down a hill to a creek to get some water. At least that's what I think. All of a sudden it is very quiet and then some ruckus( more than one animal). I can't see anything but all of a sudden I hear alot of scraping. I look at the direction it is coming from and there are 2 bear cubs climbing a tree. About a second later all Hell breaks loose. And the racket is moving up hill towards me. Aw shit, I am thinking as I clack the slector and bring my rifle up. They are both now visible coming up the hill right at the trail about 15m ahead of me. The Sow is about 6ft behind my dog who hits the trail and turns right for me. By now the Sow has turned and is coming right at me, only a foot or two behind my dog and swiping at her as she runs, snarling and snapping. Fucking thing is really pissed. Dog is right in front and is about 1/3 the height of the bear. 10m. Dog is a little on the left side of the bear and my first shot is just over her and into the right low chest. The sow drops about an inch and is recovering her stride as I am squeezing for the second shot and my dog crosses in front turning right to get around a bush. Bang! Second shot left upper chest as the bear is turning, with the angle of shot right at the vitals. Now turning more, she is almost turned in the front half and my 3rd shot is right behind the shoulder, again into the vitals. First 3 shots in under 1 second. Sow rolls onto her back, thrashes and then rolls forward onto her haunches, extends her neck out and takes one last roar. Bang, bang. Double tap to the neck. One in the vessels, second up into the Cspine.

If I had been unarmed I'd be digesting right now, no question at all in my mind. That bear was pissed and wasn't stopping for shit. I don't think even a handgun would have been sufficient at all. At the least my dog would be dead and I'd have been badly wounded.

Training paid off bigtime though. No panic, no hesitation, stayed cool. When it was obvious it was kill or be killed I did the job in fine fashion. Pissed at my dog though. The Sow only did what she had to from her perspective and I felt sick to my stomach with each squeeze of the trigger. Damn shame to kill something for nothing.

But we both survived

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I carry the spray that has 454 Casull stamped on the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm sure a good hit with pepper spray will keep any violent sandal-wearing yogurt-eating hippie out of the woods and away from the gentle woodland carnivore we call the Bear.  If that doesn't work, the 45 ACP fired from a 1911 will definitely stop that same long-haired, drug shooting, ultra-leftist, dope-smoking hippie from the poor Bear.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#30]

US Forest Service in Southeast alaska does not believe that OC in any way deters black bears.  This includes wildlife biologists who have done master's work on repelling black bears in the Prince of Wales area using OC and other non-lethals like beanbags.  

CounterAssault and Alaska backpacker are two of the companies that offer larger, higher Scoville OC units.  They also have "not for use on humans" emblazoned on them, so that might open a goofy liability situation.  They are about $40 per canister.  

For a black bear, I think that even a 9mm would be a reasonable dissuader that might convince it to go elsewhere.  I'd sure rather have a 9 than OC for black bear.   I might even rather have a cruising axe.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#31]
+1 on lead.  But you'd better have at least .357
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#32]
10/10 Bears agree, the 7.62 makes'em dance!

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Once, years ago, my dad sighted a black bear at our ranch in central Texas.

So, between that bear, the mountain lions, the boar, and God only knows what else, I pack a .357 Magnum at all times while up there. My dad carries a .45ACP.

In fact, two weeks ago was the first time I'd ever killed anything with a handgun. Before then it was all with rifles. We got a pig in the trap and the idiot dog went in after it. Fortunately, its head was stuck when it tried to wedge its way out between the bars, but the pig was coming out and that dumbass dog wouldn't quit biting it on the ass. A lungshot from the .45 didn't dispatch it. A second round of .45 missed because my dad was trying not to hit the dog.

I told him "fuck the dog", drew the .357 and put a round in the pig's forehead. It thrashed around for a little longer, but the headshot ended it.

The only other animal we've dispatched with a handgun was a huge-ass Russian boar that was also stuck in the cage. We'd forgotten we'd set the trap and the only thing we had at the time was a 9mm. The first two rounds to the head from less than a foot distant just pissed it off. It was BENDING THE FUCKING STEEL BARS and coming out to get us. My dad stuck his hand into the trap, jammed the barrel into the pig's ear, and pulled the trigger. That finally ended the matter.

The 9mm hasn't left the safe since.

I plan on getting a CZ-52 for my 21st birthday (two weeks before Christmas. Yes, I feel gypped.) and carrying that instead of the .357. Similar firepower and penetration, more ammo, faster reloading, it's all good. I just need to find some 7.62x25mm Tokarev that isn't FMJ.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

So, between that bear, the mountain lions, the boar, and God only knows what else, I pack a .357 Magnum at all times while up there. My dad carries a .45ACP.

In fact, two weeks ago was the first time I'd ever killed anything with a handgun. Before then it was all with rifles. We got a pig in the trap and the idiot dog went in after it. Fortunately, its head was stuck when it tried to wedge its way out between the bars, but the pig was coming out and that dumbass dog wouldn't quit biting it on the ass. A lungshot from the .45 didn't dispatch it. A second round of .45 missed because my dad was trying not to hit the dog.

I told him "fuck the dog", drew the .357 and put a round in the pig's forehead. It thrashed around for a little longer, but the headshot ended it.

The only other animal we've dispatched with a handgun was a huge-ass Russian boar that was also stuck in the cage. We'd forgotten we'd set the trap and the only thing we had at the time was a 9mm. The first two rounds to the head from less than a foot distant just pissed it off. It was BENDING THE FUCKING STEEL BARS and coming out to get us. My dad stuck his hand into the trap, jammed the barrel into the pig's ear, and pulled the trigger. That finally ended the matter.

I plan on getting a CZ-52 for my 21st birthday (two weeks before Christmas. Yes, I feel gypped.) and carrying that instead of the .357. Similar firepower and penetration, more ammo, faster reloading, it's all good. I just need to find some 7.62x25mm Tokarev that isn't FMJ.

Heh I'll take care of the pigs....3006 Soft point is flippin' sweet on pigs. Just let me know when I start

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
[Jimmy Carter]If I could just sit down one on one, and talk with the bear, appealing to it as a fellow mammal, I'm sure it wouldn't eat me. [/Jimmy Carter]

Ouch that hurts.  It's something I'd expect from those living in New England, Cali....or Jimmy Carter.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Wow..... That's POWERFUL stupid  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd go with lead as well. Something expelled from a long arm, too.

OC/pepper spray? Well, I guess Bears appreciate seasoning on thier food as well.

If you decide to carry handgun Bear repellant, be sure to file off the front sight. It won't hurt as much when the bear takes it away and shoves it up your ass.

I had a kid come into the gun shop looking for a gun to go hunt bear with. I gave him the same advice.

The S&W .500 is supposed to be for protection against bears. Not sure I'd trust only that. I've heard of guys shooting Grizzlys with 3 hits of 7mm Mag before it went down. That's a serious load and mucho lead.

I don't know. You might drive off a bear with a handgun, I don't think you'll kill it unless you are very lucky.

BTW, I've shot that 45-70 derringer. Like catching a baseball without a glove. It had a 7" bbl on it. I didn't get bit by the hammer, but my buddy did - and he was a tough former SEAL.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh I'll take care of the pigs....3006 Soft point is flippin' sweet on pigs. Just let me know when I start

The pigs aren't the problem. It's the fricking audads! They destroyed all three of our feeders last month and left literally about fifty pounds of shit all around mine. We got one feeder repaired and it was destroyed beyond recognition in less than a week.

They've figured out that the feeder holds more corn and that they just need to knock it down and tear it open to get at it. And we've done a LOT to secure our feeders. Concrete blocks attached to the legs and then sunk into the ground, steel cable holding the legs together so they can't move, more cable tying each feeder to more than one tree, etc.

They ripped out the bolts holding the legs onto my feeder and then tore the lid off the 55 gallon metal drum and destroyed the motor. They ripped the legs off my dad's feeder without destroying them, tore apart the cable tied to the trees, and then cracked open the fiberglass body of the feeder itself. The motor, inside a steel cage to protect it, was destroyed as was the cage. I can't even describe the condition of the third feeder after it was taken apart the second time.

Fucking audads. They knocked over some feeders last year and the year before, but this year they went all out to destroy them entirely. They've pissed us off. We're not just shooting one or two that look like good eating, we're going to exterminate every one we find on our land. They'll move off to other ranches and leave us alone after we depopulate the area.

They're more destructive than the stupid pigs, believe it or not.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I agree that the spray is nothing more than meat seasoning.  

If you come across a mexican bear your definately screwed, they have high resistance to the Can-O-seasons and like it.

You unfortunately have to treat agressive bears like you treat rabid creatures, take them down or you go down.

I say only use the Can-O-Seasons when you want to give the bear a little flavor for it's food.

Use Mr speeding lead to stop them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow, just looked up an Audad sp and that is one friggen mean looking goat critter. No wonder they wrecked your feeder!

Dram
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Wow, just looked up an Audad sp and that is one friggen mean looking goat critter. No wonder they wrecked your feeder!

Dram

We took down a small female as our first one ever a few years ago. It's smaller than average and weighed about 150lb. We also have a big male on our wall. I kid you not, that fucker weighed 300lb. and we've seen bigger. Much bigger. We've photographed large herds at our feeders too with the field cams. Hold on, lemme see if I can find some.

EDIT: Nope. I've got a bunch of pictures on my comp somewhere, but I just can't find them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Mainly wondering about major scoville unit bear spray to use on two legged city critters

I will plan on taking the .357revolver on group trips where weapons are not allowed
(hoping to get a .357sig glock this year)

I don't think I would spray a bear...........unless he was gaining on me, heh
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The pigs aren't the problem. It's the fricking audads! They destroyed all three of our feeders last month and left literally about fifty pounds of shit all around mine. We got one feeder repaired and it was destroyed beyond recognition in less than a week.

They've figured out that the feeder holds more corn and that they just need to knock it down and tear it open to get at it. And we've done a LOT to secure our feeders. Concrete blocks attached to the legs and then sunk into the ground, steel cable holding the legs together so they can't move, more cable tying each feeder to more than one tree, etc.

They ripped out the bolts holding the legs onto my feeder and then tore the lid off the 55 gallon metal drum and destroyed the motor. They ripped the legs off my dad's feeder without destroying them, tore apart the cable tied to the trees, and then cracked open the fiberglass body of the feeder itself. The motor, inside a steel cage to protect it, was destroyed as was the cage. I can't even describe the condition of the third feeder after it was taken apart the second time.

Fucking audads. They knocked over some feeders last year and the year before, but this year they went all out to destroy them entirely. They've pissed us off. We're not just shooting one or two that look like good eating, we're going to exterminate every one we find on our land. They'll move off to other ranches and leave us alone after we depopulate the area.

Look like deer to me .

I'd love to box o truth one of those guys. You say their pests right?

Hmm....you said you live around San Ant?

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look like deer to me .

I'd love to box o truth one of those guys. You say their pests right?

Hmm....you said you live around San Ant?

The ranch (more of a deer lease, really) is much nearer Bandera than San Antonio.

They're tough SOB's. I got an awesome story about the first one sighted in the area about twelve years ago.

My dad and I were in the blind together (only had one back then) when we heard a gunshot from the next property over. BLAM! "Okay," we figured, "Old Priest got a deer." BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! Now we were wondering what was going on, because the entire Priest clan consists of good shots and they get pissy if you do a lot of shooting during peak hunting hours. So we sat there for a few seconds and then somebody opened up with a small-caliber pistol. POPPOPPOPPOPPOPPOPPOPPOPPOP! Now we're wondering just WTF is going on when two or three more rifles start firing in volleys, all different calibers. BAM POW BLAM BOOM BAMBAMBAM! We continued to sit in the blind listening to what was apparently an epic battle until everything got silent for nearly five minutes. Then we vaguely heard someone cussing at the top of their lungs followed by a large-caliber handgun. BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM! We waited a few more minutes and heard one last gunshot- BOOM!

An hour or so later, we decided it was probably safe enough to wander down to their property and find out just what the FUCK was going on. We got there to find most of the Priest clan standing around a tree with an audad (at the time nobody knew what they were; they only moved into the area about five years ago and before then only individuals wandered in intermittently) and they were all keeping their distance and glaring at the thing distrustingly. That's when we got the story from the eldest Priest and learned that these things were walking tanks.

Priest swears by the .30-06 almost religiously. He was sitting in the blind and saw the audad walk up to his feeder, didn't know what it was, and decided to shoot first and find out later. He took a lung shot and dropped it. He waited the requisite minute or so to make sure the potentially dangerous animal was down, then got out his blind and started walking over to the body. It got up and charged him. He managed to get off two shots with his bolt rifle before dropping it and leaping out the thing's path. He pulled his 9mm and dumped the magazine into the audad as it ran off into the woods. He reloaded his rifle (only one magazine for the pistol, a mistake he's never made since) and chased after it until it collapsed about a hundred yards from his feeder. He kept his distance and waited until his sons showed up to help him carry it off to gut it. They showed up and everyone walked over to process the audad.

It got up again and came after them, which is when they all four opened up with their rifles, chambering a new round at roughly the same speed, which is why it sounded like volley fire to us. The audad went down again, then stumbled to its feet and ran away from them, falling off a twenty foot cliff into the creek, where it lay motionless in the water. They decided they should wait ten minutes to make sure it was good and dead this time, then had the eldest Priest son approach it. It got up and charged him again, prompting a fit of cussing and the emptying of a .357 Magnum into it at close range. This time it fell and didn't get up again. They waited a while longer, prodded it to make sure it really was dead this time, then put a round of .30-06 into its head and slit its throat for added measure. They weren't taking any chances before carrying it off to be processed.

From that point on, audads gained legendary status in our valley.

Years later, my dad spotted one at his feeder and shot it with his .264 Winchester Magnum. Dropped it instantly. Since then he's shot several more, mostly with his .264 but sometimes with his .30-06. Every one fell from a single shot.

The only time I've seen an audad, I hit him in the chest with a .30-30 hollowpoint from about thirty yards. The fucker just snorted at me, stomped his feet, and walked off with what I can only describe as a pissed expression on his face. I didn't pull the lever completely and my rifle failed to extract. By the time I got it cleared and had a new round in the chamber, he was gone.

So while they're tough SOB's, they CAN be dropped with the proper shot placement and firepower, depending on their size.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Bear spray is about 80% effective overall (depends upon wind and rain conditions), and your best defense against bear, short of a shotgun or large caliper rifle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:14:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Bear Bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top