Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 12:09:52 AM EDT
THREE WORDS:

1. Across. The word is ACROSS... there is NO "T" at the end of ACROSS yet people say "ACROSST" Say it right or DONT SAY IT AT ALL!

2. Height. The word is HEIGHT... there is NO "H" at the end of HEIGHT yet people say "HEIGHTH" Say it right or DONT SAY IT AT ALL!

3. Probably. It is spelled PROBABLY... NOT PROLLY! PROLLY IS NOT A FUCKING WORD!

Wait a minute!!!

...Ahhh the sand is out of my mangina now. There I feel better.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree with you 100% irregardless of your mangina.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Your prolly right...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Shit, I'd be happy just to hear broadcasters stop substituting the "Yu" sound for the "Ha" sound when uttering the word Human.

When the hell did we become "Youmans"?

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:22:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Shit, I'd be happy just to hear broadcasters stop substituting the "Yu" sound for the "Ha" sound when uttering the word Human.

When the hell did we become "Youmans"?

After we stopped being youts.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your prolly right...

Its the heightH of illiteracy
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:28:06 AM EDT
[#6]
The word ..often.

It is not off-ten!

Say it right.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:31:35 AM EDT
[#7]
The language is constantly being "reinvented". Its not a dead language like Latin. Get used to it. The internet has done moree to bastardize the language in the last decade than anything else, but I don't see you swearing off  surfing the net anytime soon.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Yall be trippin' like teh mad ya knowz what I'ms sayin?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The language is constantly being "reinvented". Its not a dead language like Latin. Get used to it. The internet has done moree to bastardize the language in the last decade than anything else, but I don't see you swearing off  surfing the net anytime soon.

Actually, I believe that blacks have caused most changes in the recent past.  Many of the recently added words have been ghetto slang.

bling-bling

Others will come to mind later when I'm not tired.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:39:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your prolly right...

Now, now...let's get our "yours" straight.

Your is ownership, as in: Your dog crapped on my lawn.

You're is a contraction of "you are," as in: You are the shiznit.

I'm tired.  Why am I typing?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Prolly is my pet peeve.  I mean for F-sake, you are only saving 2 letters of effort while instantly showing a great sign of worthlessness.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your prolly right...

Now, now...let's get our "yours" straight.

Your is ownership, as in: Your dog crapped on my lawn.

You're is a contraction of "you are," as in: You are the shiznit.

I'm tired.  Why am I typing?

Be nice, its late! Don't make me come over there and slap you acrosst your face
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Werd up, bruh! Why he gotta axe sumpin' like dat, anyways?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:44:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Werd up, bruh! Why he gotta axe sumpin' like dat, anyways?

an axe is something you cut down trees with
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:49:49 AM EDT
[#15]
enuff ov dis fonix shit gimme sumthan i kan reed  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:54:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Since I can't find a pic...

Randy: Can I get you something?

Second Jive Dude: 'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!

Randy: I'm sorry, I don't understand.

First Jive Dude: Cutty say 'e can't HANG!

Jive Lady: Oh stewardess! I speak jive.

Randy: Oh, good.

Jive Lady: He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.

Randy: All right. Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine?

Jive Lady: Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da' rebound on da' med side.

Second Jive Dude: What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap!

Jive Lady: Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!

First Jive Dude: Say 'e can't hang, say seven up!

Jive Lady: Jive ass dude don't got no brains anyhow! Hmmph!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:10:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I believe that blacks have caused most changes in the recent past.  Many of the recently added words have been ghetto slang.

bling-bling

Others will come to mind later when I'm not tired.

Thats a  constant process, yes, but nothing new, whether it is regional or racial in nature. The creep into common language of computer shorthand, spelling variations, etc has been reported to be an increasing problem. Thats the sort of thing I was thinking of.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:11:07 AM EDT
[#18]
People are just rounding off the hard consonants (germanic languages, like english and.. err german).

Need more vowels (romantic languages like latin, french, spanish, italian).

consonants - A speech sound produced by a partial or complete obstruction of the air stream by any of various constrictions of the speech organs, such as (p), (f), (r), (w), and (h).

vowels - A speech sound, such as (e) or (i), created by the relatively free passage of breath through the larynx and oral cavity, usually forming the most prominent and central sound of a syllable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:17:26 AM EDT
[#19]
You... of all people... start this thread.

"Acronym(s)  Definition(s)       Info  
FRIGE             Refrigerator       (usually spelled FRIDGE; originally short for Frigidaire)  "

www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?p=dict&String=exact&Acronym=FRIGE
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:21:28 AM EDT
[#20]
People are just getting lazy now.

Max
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:48:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:49:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Dont look now but there PROLLLY is a spider behind you....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:53:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:01:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
English is constantly adapting and changing, that's why it has taken over the world. By 2050 half the world will speak english.

Anyway… stop bitchin!!! Your American, you do not even speak 'proper' english!

ANdy

Beat me to it.  Although it is annoying when the change is brought on by laziness and ignorance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:39:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That word is in the dictionary now, due to 'common usage' by highly educated buffoons.

The dougle negative in that drives me nuts, along with the same buffoons mispronouncing 'forté'.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:54:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Arfcom has it all, dupe police, spelling nazi's and do I dare say it, english teachers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:58:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't even get my wife started - she is an English major and an editor.  Living in East Tennessee has been very frustrating for her.  People there have some of the laziest speaking habits in the world (goes hand in hand with their work ethic.)  

1.  Asked - "Ast"

2.  Can't - "Cain't"

3.  Desk - "Dest"

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:05:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:18:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Proper pronunciation of the English language is a factor of geography, genealogy and physiology.  While each word has its denoted pronunciation people in different regions of this country and foreigners pronounce it differently.  People from different ethnic enclaves of the country also pronounce words differently. One example is creek. Some would speak the double ee as E while others would pronounce it as an I.  
What someone might view as a dissonance to their ear others would relish as a variation and investigate the speaker’s antecedents and place of residence.
That's the power of the language we speak today. The words are constantly morphing and changing even as the country morphs and changes with each influx of speakers.  The English spoken in the US is markedly different than that spoken in England. Winston Churchill, the great British orator and statesman said it best when he stated that Great Britain and America were two great nations separated by a common language.

The yout of tooday will prolly be up a crik iffn we dont learn 'em rite, nuff said. Uff da.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The dougle negative in that drives me nuts, along with the same buffoons mispronouncing 'forté'.

I'm the only one here professional enough to say 'forté'.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You... of all people... start this thread.

"Acronym(s)  Definition(s)       Info  
FRIGE             Refrigerator       (usually spelled FRIDGE; originally short for Frigidaire)  "

www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?p=dict&String=exact&Acronym=FRIGE

Actually the name frige was prolly derived from the Guardian Frigerator Company which was purchased by GM and later became the Frigidaire division. They even had conversion units to convert ice boxes into friges.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#33]
We had a dry-erase board full of hood-isims... until our Chief walked in and found it... he said it was "racist".

He's a fine one to talk - he accosted me when I was a new hire for hanging my fire gear in "the brother's corner".

Ammalans (Ambulance)
Feetus / Feets (feet)
Teefus (teeth)
Sammich (Sandwich... err, wait a minute
Libarry (library)
"Fell out" (fainted)

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
English is constantly adapting and changing, that's why it has taken over the world. By 2050 half the world will speak english.

Anyway… stop bitchin!!! Your American, you do not even speak 'proper' english!

ANdy

And you can't spell it!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm sorry, I refuse to take seriously those who can't speak and write proper English.  Same goes with Spanish, the two languages that I am fluent in.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#36]
OK, OK

WTF is a 'Jagwaaar' anyway? It is a Jag -u -ar (car or cat)
and 'erbs????   HERBS, people, HERBS !!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#37]
This started a long time ago.  If you can thoroughly confuse the spelling of a word, it's easier to confuse the meaning.

See Confucius below.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Heard a Ford commercial the other day, where the announcer said, "We have many new Ford Exscapes on sale!"

WTF?  ESCAPE - not EX-SCAPE.

Sheesh.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Grown up, college-educated men now commonly use the hoodism "goes yard" or "going yard" when an MLB player hits a home run. Makes me think the guy ran onto the field and took a piss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top