Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 11:03:36 PM EDT
It's the lince pin of our society for a number or reasons.

It's like the Spice in the Dune Series.  If you controll the spice you control the Universe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
linch pin
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
intresting analogy and fairlly accurate
now lets get those sand worms a moving!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats like saying a rich person controls everyone who works for him. Instead, the workers control the rich person, without the workers, the rich person would be nothing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
More oil won't help us right now because we barely have the refining capability to refine what we do get.  And even if the restrictions on new refineries was lifted tomorrow, it would still be a decade before our refining capability were significantly improved.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, as long as China keeps doubling the number of private vehicles every year don't expect any drastic changes in the price of gas anytime soon.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thats like saying a rich person controls everyone who works for him. Instead, the workers control the rich person, without the workers, the rich person would be nothing.

Yeah, lord knows that the meth' addicts in the shop I work with now would all be millionairs if only that rich guy who capitalized their jobs would just step the hell out of their way
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Whens the last time you heard of the workers firing the rich person?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whens the last time you heard of the workers firing the rich person?

the French and the Russians did it awhile back
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Your taking my example too literal. Obviosly you cant fire your own fuckin boss, and this isnt an argument about capitolization over jobs. WTF!??

All im saying is that just becuase your in a posistion to dictate doesnt mean that the ppl will follow. In plain words, Oil does not control all of us. At some point we will find a different fuel source.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, as long as China keeps doubling the number of private vehicles every year don't expect any drastic changes in the price of gas anytime soon.

They can only afford it by basing their currency value against the US Dollar.  Good luck making that work.  What it will cause is hyper inflation in their economy unless they hike the prices on exports.  Not a bad idea for them...get us hooked on cheap stuff, then once we are hopelessly hooked, jerk the prices.

China cannot continue to expand their economy without serious reprecussions because it is not based in reality.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can only afford it by basing their currency value against the US Dollar.  Good luck making that work.  What it will cause is hyper inflation in their economy unless they hike the prices on exports.  Not a bad idea for them...get us hooked on cheap stuff, then once we are hopelessly hooked, jerk the prices.

China cannot continue to expand their economy without serious reprecussions because it is not based in reality.

Super, I'll hold my breath for that $1.50/Gal gas based on that

Really though man, not trying to be a dick but, Chinese demand (Where once it was low and now grows every year) for oil resources will drive pump prices for all of us in the future.

I'm thinkin' NUKE (GASP!!!) though

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Nearly every product we use has deep connections to oil, Oil saves more lifes than it costs even in war. Oil is the blood of just about any modern society. With out it we would be back in the stone age.

ETA: I love these people who want these electric cars and shit, I don't think many put to much into where that energy comes from. They would use less energy just driving a good old fossil burning car. And they all want solar power, and where do we get the energy to make these solar panels? Why coals, nuclear and Oil of course.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:23:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Super, I'll hold my breath for that $1.50/Gal gas based on that

Really though man, not trying to be a dick but, Chinese demand (Where once it was low and now grows every year) for oil resources will drive pump prices for all of us in the future.

I'm thinkin' NUKE (GASP!!!) though

The majority of China is still rural, subsistence agrarian.  The majority of the urban dwellers still work in physical labor.  They have very little sustainable economic growth.  Sure, the top 5% have cars and they are expecting that to grow but they still must buy crude at the same prices we pay.  There is no way for that to continue.  We bitch but pay.  They stop driving.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Demand
This year, world oil demand will increase by the greatest amount in 16 years, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA).

The three big industrialized economies, the U.S., Europe and Japan, are all growing for the first time this business cycle, boosting demand for fuel for planes, trucks and cars as business gets on the move again.
China's booming economy is sucking in oil to power its manufacturing and make gasoline to fuel its booming car market. China, now the world's No. 2 oil consumer after the U.S., is importing 20% more oil by volume than it was a year ago.

From Forbes. China is now the #2 consumer of the worlds oil production (Just behind us).

It (Oil/Gas) ain't gonna get any cheaper anytime soon folks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:56:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't forget that the spice and Arakis became little more than a footnote in history once they came up with synthetic spice and an auto navigator. The same thing will happen when oil becomes not so important.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:10:58 AM EDT
[#16]
THE SPICE MUST FLOW
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:15:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Your taking my example too literal. Obviosly you cant fire your own fuckin boss, and this isnt an argument about capitolization over jobs. WTF!??

All im saying is that just becuase your in a posistion to dictate doesnt mean that the ppl will follow. In plain words, Oil does not control all of us. At some point we will find a different fuel source.

I actually laughed when I read that part in blue.
Cheers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top