BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2005 10:22:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I, personally, don't believe that you can get something for nothing.  But I agree that it sucks to work all day and not be adequately compensated.  

Be careful with those "Job Opportunities", a lot of times the ask for you to front a lot of money to pay for "supplies" or "fees" or something.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep us updated if you do decide to do this. I really need a 3rd job to keep up with the damn Dr bills.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
my nigerian  friend can help you out.
Just a joke on the emails I get on making a million dollars
I fixed the spelling.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... like the latest one I got today,  where you take money via PayPal and send it out
via Western Union and keep 10 percent?

Laundering money is a great way to make ends meet. 3 hots, a cot, and a buddy named Bubba.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... like the latest one I got today,  where you take money via PayPal and send it out

Laundering money is a great way to make ends meet. 3 hots, a cot, and a buddy named Bubba.

That should pay more like 40%
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I think you are a bit low on the kidney stone removal costs.

Wife just had one done by lithotripsy and it was $20k.  Two more need to be done.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Yeah, I know...and I'm willing to gamble a LITTLE on that....but not more than I would spend on an
evening's entertainment, at a guess.

I figure that my kidney stone condition (I have twenty of the buggers waiting in the wings!) and
the procedures that I will be going through to get rid of them (stents and lithotripsy) will land me
a 10K total hospital bill.  I'll pay 10 percent of it myself.    And I haven't even MADE 10K from
the job that my insurance is with yet,  so I'm sure not about to quit!

But I need and want more than that.  A lot more...but LEGALLY.

I suck at cards and can't pick a fast dog at the track,  so forget gambling.   I have sellable video
projectors that I rebuild and refurbish,  and they deliver STUNNING picture quality,  but nobody's
buying them at this time of the year.

I've ebayed off everything that I wasn't using that has any value.   My life is less cluttered but
the money doesn't last very long with bills to pay.

I won't cross the legal line and I'm sort of stuck with the job I have, for a while at least,
but I could sure use some fast money.

Anybody need help stuffing envelopes or returning phone calls?  

CJ

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
my nigering friend can help you out

I don't even want to know what you meant by that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Clark Howard (consumer advocate and fraud-finder) once took a magazine or newspaper (forget what publication it was) and checked into every one of the work-from-home ads in the paper.  EVERY SINGLE ONE was a scam of some kind.  Incredible.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
my nigering friend can help you out

I don't even want to know what you meant by that.

I think he meant to say Nigerian.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:52:47 AM EDT
[#12]
you only make 10 an hour where do you work, McDonalds?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#13]
How do you look in a suit and tie?

I'll bet a reasonably good looking man could make a killing selling Avon door to door.  Might not even have to knock on doors after word gets around.  Concentrate on apartment complexes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#14]
If your personal life permits, get a second job. 20 hours a week at Home Depot should have you bringing home ~$400/month, plus a healthy store discount.

Are you handy? Can you fix toilets, do basic home wiring, paint, that sort of thing? Do odd jobs in the evenings. Put an ad in your church bulletin for handyman services, and be fair to yourself. You're in it for business, not to give away your time.

Work for a delivery company picking up and delivering medical samples. A lot of this transport is done at night and "after hours." All they care about is that the stuff is picked up after closing hours and dropped off before opening hours the next day. My stepfather has been doing this for about a year and has made quite a bit of extra coin - enough to support his photography habit.

Try your hand at day trading. If you have the time to research your trades, it's not a gamble. I don't have the patience for it myself, but I have friends who regularly come out $100 ahead every day.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If your personal life permits, get a second job. 20 hours a week at Home Depot should have you bringing home ~$400/month, plus a healthy store discount.

Are you handy? Can you fix toilets, do basic home wiring, paint, that sort of thing? Do odd jobs in the evenings. Put an ad in your church bulletin for handyman services, and be fair to yourself. You're in it for business, not to give away your time.

...SNIP.

What per hour should he charge?  I just re did three drawer box's in an older home.  The old tracks had fallen apart.  so I had to take the box apart cut down and reassemble.  Then I installed side Mount tracks on them.  The pisser of the project was, the front of the drawer box was glued and staple om to the drawer front.  I am thinking about $75.00 an hour.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#17]
where in fl are you? if not my area...... i can show you 75 to 100 and hour  that all homes need and verry little compatiton very little work  and yes its legal  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#19]
privete msg sent
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#20]
 Do you like gardening, have a green thumb?    If so consider becoming a "Master Gardener" .    A freind of mine did this  5 years ago.   Took what I beleive was a four month course at a local  public college.  

He's now the head of gargening dept. at the local lowes.   $14 an hour plus bennies,full time.   Plus he does lectures and seminars, makes $20 an hour doing this.    He's thinking about getting his bacholures (sp?)
 in horticulture.    I'm thinking about doing it myself.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#22]
How is your driving record?

I know of a few people who work transporting cars from lots to auction sites (& vice versa), from specialty shops (turn your F450 frame into an ambulance), etc and make decent money.  One claims to get $3/mile transporting for a particular client, but he's always been a rat bastard liar.

Big sticking points - you'd almost certainly have to post a bond; insurance.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#24]
"Big money for part time work"...is such a thing even possible?

Yes, talk to any lawyer, just hang on to your wallet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:53:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Driving record is excellent.

At work,  I began as a delivery driver.  (Everybody does.)   Then moved to warehouseman.  (Second
step for everybody.)   I was a good driver but my speed and desire to get stuff put away in the
warehouse is greatly appreciated.  I like the floors clean and the shelves stocked.

Eventually,  I will be moving to a sales position and the money will improve dramatically.  But for now
I'm sticking it out at 10 bucks an hour plus benefits that at the moment are probably worth a hundred
bucks an hour to me, given my kidney stone condition and the procedures I'm going to be having soon.

I really think I will try my hand at some day trading during my off days.    If it works,  I may take
a leave of absence (or use my vacation time) and see how it goes.   But  for now,  it's important that
I retain my job because its health insurance benefits are hugely valuable to me,  unfortunately.

CJ

i am curious where do you work?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#26]

The man whore thing didn't take off?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Work for a delivery company picking up and delivering medical samples. A lot of this transport is done at night and "after hours." All they care about is that the stuff is picked up after closing hours and dropped off before opening hours the next day. My stepfather has been doing this for about a year and has made quite a bit of extra coin - enough to support his photography habit.

Try your hand at day trading. If you have the time to research your trades, it's not a gamble. I don't have the patience for it myself, but I have friends who regularly come out $100 ahead every day.

HOME DEPOT does not give employee discounts!.........But LOWES does!!!!

Travis
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Cocoa, Florida.   CED...Consolidated Electrical Distributors.

A nationwide chain of electrical contractor supply shops.    We provide all things electrical that are
used in the construction of homes and businesses.   We provide just about everything in the field.

CJ

before you quit can you snag me a 100 amp sub pannel, 300' of wire to connect sub panel to my main panel?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
3 phase or single?

300 feet, 100 amp service....that'd be..what..1/0 THHN wire per leg?   Add another run of no. 3 for
the ground if running 3 phase.

Panel..GE, Siemens/ITE,  or Cutler-Hammer?   How many spaces?

CJ

sure that sounds good...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
How many times have you received email solicitations to make big money returning phone calls or
something else, like the latest one I got today,  where you take money via PayPal and send it out

I'm getting pretty disgruntled at having to work my ass to the bone for 10 bucks an hour (with
benefits that at the moment are worth more than my hourly wage, thanks to my kidney stone problem)
and I'm actually thinking about answering one of these solicitations,  or SOMETHING.

I'm not planning to quit my job...but my financial needs are NOT being met and my resume's are
not being responded to.

Maybe I'm just getting desperate enough to try one out, and cut my losses quickly if it turns out to
be the BS I suspect it is.

But....has anyone here actually found something along these lines that really works and makes enough
money to be worth doing...legally?

I need SOME legal and fairly lucrative second source of income.    Anyone have any realistic suggestions?

CJ

Aside from making a killing as a day trader, what about being a master luthier or a Japanese sword expert or an audio-video consultant or a flight simulator instructor?

Aren't these some of the things you've mastered?

How does that saying go?

"Master of all trades, don't have jack?"  

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How many times have you received email solicitations to make big money returning phone calls or
something else, like the latest one I got today,  where you take money via PayPal and send it out

I'm getting pretty disgruntled at having to work my ass to the bone for 10 bucks an hour (with
benefits that at the moment are worth more than my hourly wage, thanks to my kidney stone problem)
and I'm actually thinking about answering one of these solicitations,  or SOMETHING.

I'm not planning to quit my job...but my financial needs are NOT being met and my resume's are
not being responded to.

Maybe I'm just getting desperate enough to try one out, and cut my losses quickly if it turns out to
be the BS I suspect it is.

But....has anyone here actually found something along these lines that really works and makes enough
money to be worth doing...legally?

I need SOME legal and fairly lucrative second source of income.    Anyone have any realistic suggestions?

CJ

Aside from making a killing as a day trader, what about being a master luthier or a Japanese sword expert or an audio-video consultant or a flight simulator instructor?

How does that saying go?

"Master of all trades, don't have jack?"  

How about a guitar appraiser?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

My neighbor works part time for home depot. They do not give employee discounts
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Every single one of those get rick quick schemes is a scam.  The ones who offer you a percentage for laundering money appeal to people's greed and get them to give out things like bank account numbers for the transfer, only to find that the only transfers that happened went the other way.  Good luck getting paid on any of the work from home ones where you have no idea who you're really working for.  Everything you get via email should be immediately suspect.

Times are tough for a lot of people, and plenty of those people don't think twice about scamming someone else.  The old saying "if it seems too good to be true, it is" has just as much wisdom now as ever.  There are a lot of people who need more money than they have and want to believe these scams are real.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#39]
maybe someday i will show you my Miyamoto Musashi length hand forged  blade with plume blosom tsuba thou my wife made me get all the armor and such out of the house store customers always
go right for it women kids its amazing to watch the expresions a freind has peices of a antiqe japanese
suit and helm in his shop and makes replicas of old armor suits
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Day trading is something I COULD do,  but for the fact that I work a regular 40 hour week.

During off times, in the past, I've "shadow traded",  treating transactions as real but not actually
putting any money into them.    I would have done quite well.

I may not be able to pick a fast dog or play cards worth a damn, but using the hard and fast rules
for day trading that I developed,   I could have done quite well.

That is something I may choose to research again.    I guess the market's hot enough that there's a buck to be made here.

CJ

Do some wrap money partner real estate deals.  PM me if you want me to give you more info.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
3 phase or single?

300 feet, 100 amp service....that'd be..what..1/0 THHN wire per leg?   Add another run of no. 3 for
the ground if running 3 phase.

Panel..GE, Siemens/ITE,  or Cutler-Hammer?   How many spaces?

CJ

Get him a used Federal Pacific box

Hell, it's what I have in my house  Yes, I need to replace it before my house burns down.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

That has to be BS, B'cuz Pay Pal will keep 3%-4% and then Western Union gets another 5%
What does that leave?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#43]
So what do all houses need that gets you 75 to 100 an hour in FL?

Can it be done in Maine?

M4-CQBR
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#44]

How about a guitar appraiser?

None of them pay shit.  Or if they do,  it's tough to get into the market and even tougher to compete.

There is something that pays quite well.  I've done it once several years ago, and I made a thousand dollars an hour doing it.

Training/seminars.  Everyone knows something about something.  If you can train people to be "master luthiers", or teach people about starting an electrical supply house, or something that you can find demand for, you can make a bundle.

Think about it - $99 per person, 50 people, give a 8 hour seminar.  Subtract $750 for a hotel conference room and misc expenses, your gross is $525 per hour of seminar time.  This doesn't include prep time before the training/seminar of course, but you can see where once you develop the intellectual property, it can pay handsome dividends.  

The key is finding something that people want to know about.  

Zig Zigler makes about a million dollars each time he stands in front of an audience and teaches them about sales.  What's THAT hourly rate?    He is teaching them something they want to know about, and they happily fork over the money.  He could never make that much money actually selling.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Definitely not a gardener.    I can kill Astroturf!

CJ

That's pretty funny.

I like the handyman idea.  

TXL
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:27:39 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
So what do all houses need that gets you 75 to 100 an hour in FL?

Can it be done in Maine?

M4-CQBR

read my tag line for a hint and yes they probly have somthin in maine that we do
                               just not the same job i sujested to cmjohnson
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:40:24 AM EDT
[#48]
I've been thinking of looking for a part-time job myself.  20 hours a week or so.  Only problem is that there aren't many labs around here.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#49]
PeteCo - you're a genius.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top