Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 10:07:04 PM EDT
That bitch Katrina is making me leave New Orleans... I got photo albums, jewelry, my guns, some food and water, a some art all packed up in the car. Now I got to leave and hope there is something left when I get back. Never been in a situation like this where I even thought I might lose most everything.Anyone else from the area dealing with the same situation? Most of my family has already left, except my father who has to work the day the bitch makes landfall (works for the newspaper). Any tips from those that have had to deal with this in the past? Sure there is insurance but so much is irreplaceable and/or not covered. Wish it never came to this. See yall whenever I get the time and if I still have a home. Peace out till then.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't leave things on the floor and try not to leave them on the first floor. If there is flooding in your house, everything on the first floor will be ruined.  I left a box of rare books under my bed when I fled hurricane Fran. Big mistake. When I came back my bedroom was ruined and the box of books had been turned into a tub of water. It taught me a lot about hurricanes. And if we ever have another one as bad as Fran I am packing my stuff up and moving inland.

Galland

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#2]
For a second there I thought this was a D-I-V-O-R-C-E thread and your wife was going to torch the place or something...
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Good luck...quit typin' and get wigglin'!
Your dad should take the day off...who's gonna read a wet paper in the dark anyway?

Well, I've tried to convince my father of that but he said he wouldn't have a job when he came back if he did leave. Apparently most of the staff is staying (they'll all be inside the paper's building though). My employer could give shit. He says get you and your family's asses out of here and I'll see ya on Wednesday or whenevr things return to normal. I think I'm going to drive to Houston. I can't even begin to describe how torturous its going to be to watch this shit go down on TV and be there. All I can picture is some fucking branch coming in through one of my windows in the very beginning and then all the rain that comes in afterward. Its just not worth the risk of getting anyone, including myself, killed or injured. And I swear it will break my heart if there is looting afterward and I'm not there to blast the motherfuckers climbing in through some broken windows in my house.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good luck...quit typin' and get wigglin'!
Your dad should take the day off...who's gonna read a wet paper in the dark anyway?

Well, I've tried to convince my father of that but he said he wouldn't have a job when he came back if he did leave. Apparently most of the staff is staying (they'll all be inside the paper's building though). My employer could give shit. He says get you and your family's asses out of here and I'll see ya on Wednesday or whenevr things return to normal. I think I'm going to drive to Houston. I can't even begin to describe how torturous its going to be to watch this shit go down on TV and be there. All I can picture is some fucking branch coming in through one of my windows in the very beginning and then all the rain that comes in afterward. Its just not worth the risk of getting anyone, including myself, killed or injured. And I swear it will break my heart if there is looting afterward and I'm not there to blast the motherfuckers climbing in through some broken windows in my house.

Be blunt - tell him he'll have even less of a job if he gets killed.   He can always get another job, but not another life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top