Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 9:48:11 PM EDT
Ok.

I am finishing up my 2 years of college this coming winter. I have the option of starting ROTC next spring, and going on from there. I made a deal with my mom, many moons ago.. that I would do atleast 2 years worth, before enlisting (if I wasn't going to go for the 4 year degree and ROTC program).

However, the more I look at becoming an officer.. the less inclined that I want to do it.

Why?

I really want to do SF, more specifically, marksmanship. Rangers.. perhaps Green Beret, with Airborne also. I know officers can do everything listed as above, except for the marksmanship, which is kind of what I really want to do. I am also under the impression, that getting into those positions as an officer.. is much harder.

However, I've had people tell me (officers and enlistment) that I would be a much better officer because of my experience/track record.

*warning, pounding chest mode is on*

Eagle Scout

1st Degree Brown in Ishiniryu Karate (requires major leadership roles to reach that level)

Former Head Lifeguard/2nd in Command of a Aquatics Department; first person to reach that type of level/responsibility at age 19 in the last 25 years of the department. (I was responssible for scheduling/running 15 active and 10 sub-status lifeguards)

Now, I could finish off my degree (four year) and then enlist with a four year degree. However... if for whatever reason I change my mind, I prefer not to do OCS. As, if I don't start ROTC this Spring, or at the latest, next fall... OCS would probably be my only option.

Any words of advice? I have probably until end of October to decide.. but, I need to start meeting with people within the next month.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#2]
College, marriage, kids, then join the military. You'll fight smarter and tougher than you ever thought possible.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Your number one priority should be getting the 4 year degree first, no matter what else you decide.

I'm not sure why do don't care for OCS. It is perfectly acceptable. If there are enlisted things you want to do first then go for it. It looks like you will sign up for Infantry and that is great. There are many fun things only enlisted get to do in the Infantry, one of which is the first step - getting a guaranteed slot in the Infantry when you sign on the dotted line. Later you can go OCS and do all the officer stuff too.

ROTC is great, but it is a career path, and you get no guarantee on where it will lead. An upper classman of mine who resembled a smart Rambo and was a great Infantryman got assigned to Transportation. It made no sense to any of us. A few years later he got out and I heard he was selling bait at a fishing store. OCS can do that to you too, but at least you will have a few years of being an 11B first.

New Officers do not get to pick their Branch. They list their favorites and then others look at their file and choose where they will actually go. No guarantee where you will end up. It’s a surprise. I enlisted as an 11B and suddenly years later my ROTC Commander announced I was an Armor officer. It was my third choice, but I was happy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Your number one priority should be getting the 4 year degree first, no matter what else you decide.

Best advice so far.

One of my only regrets is that I wasn't mature enough in my youth to get my degree and go officer prior to joining up.

Getting that degree can be  a pain in the ass later in life.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#5]
IF you end up becoming an officer....please...don't be an ass kissing bastard.

My vote is for the officer. They make WAY more money and their retirement is better.

-Derek (enlisted)  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Do the one that is the most difficult that gets you the most rank\degrees
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I went USAF ROTC.  I'd recommend it over strait enlisting.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,        

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.        

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.      
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Alight, thanks for the insight!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top