Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 4:29:53 PM EDT
What do you use?  Wife and I got a King Simmons BeautyRest about 6 years ago and it has sucked donkey balls.  

I considered the Sleep Number, but DAYUM!  $2300 for a King?  WTF?

Any ideas, suggestions, etc.?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Geeeee......... I dunno
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I REALLY like my Seally Posturpedic Ultra Plush Pillow Top  (I spelled most of that wrong)  Works for me.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#3]
You guys wore a king sized bed out in 6 years............................................Good lord take a rest.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Wife and I love our Stearns and Foster King.

HH
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, the sleep number is expensive.  Wife wanted one, we got one.  I have to say I am sleeping better now than I have in many years.  We have had ours for about 6 months.  I have no idea about the durability of the bed, only time will tell on that matter, but as for comfort and adjustability, you can't beat it.

Cavu
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Sealy Fenway Ultra Plush Posturpedic from Costco - $450 for Queen size mattress/box spring. Picked it up just the other week, as we bought a new bedroom set from Thomasville. The matress is the best I've slept on, and the price was hard to beat.
Linky - Price seems to have gone up a wee bit since I bought it
ETA
Slept on shit mattresses my whole life, so I don't have much to compare it to.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#8]
An adjustable Cal-King sized air bed is what I have. Best bed I have ever owned. Infinately adjustable and provides full body support.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Just bought an elasto-memory foam bed......just fuckin get one!  HOOOOAHHHH!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I REALLY like my Seally Posturpedic Ultra Plush Pillow Top  (I spelled most of that wrong)  Works for me.  

+1 I have the same one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 I have the same one.

Bullshit...you spent all your money last year on giant economy sized boxes of condoms....e know about you!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Mine is going on 15 years and is still as flat and firm as day one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:15:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Simmons Beauty Rest here, works well for me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I checked out the Costco Sealy's today.  I assume they are made FOR Costco, as you can't find those particular names anywhere, including on Sealy's website.

Really liked the Allendale Ultra Plush Euro Pillowtop.  About $999

www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?prodid=11034764&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=20744&hierPath=93*1924*20744*

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Sleep number bed.  Have had one for 3 years now and it's the best I've ever slept on.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What do you use?  Wife and I got a King Simmons BeautyRest about 6 years ago and it has sucked donkey balls.  

I considered the Sleep Number, but DAYUM!  $2300 for a King?  WTF?

Any ideas, suggestions, etc.?

I have a Kingdown, and Love it.  Cost ~$3000
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Sealy Posturpedic, I forgot the style name but it is the great big thick matteress
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#18]
cheap $100 or so foam rubber matress from the local matress factory
on top of one of these it was only $200 and something back when I bought moine about 6 years ago
with no box springs
I did add one of these a while back though
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Just bought an elasto-memory foam bed......just fuckin get one!  HOOOOAHHHH!

My wife and I bought a TempurPedic king earlier this year.

Never in my life have I slept so well

ETA: I think it was $1800 complete.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Sleep number bed.
Got mine for $800 in queen size.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#21]
At the height of the dot-com boom I had some extra money and decided to splurge. I was having back problems, so I needed a new bed.

I decided on a Stearns & Foster pillow top. Paid $3,300. By the time I added the Calvin Klein sheets and duvet, down comforter, etc., the total was about $4,000.

Now, that is a lot of money, but the bed is still firm and in great shape and the sheets were the best sheets I ever owned.

And my back feels better.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#22]
There is no reason to pay an arm and a leg for a good mattress.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Wife and I love our Stearns and Foster King.

HH

I got the same thing, with a pillowtop, very satisfied with it.

My only advice-  if you try any memory foam mattresses, lie on them for a while.  It takes a few minutes for the foam to warm up and have it's desirable pliability start to have an affect on you.  Just lying on them quick will not give you the affect of the mattress.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a Cal-King Sealy Posturpedic, but I don't have a box spring. It sits on a Cal-King size waterbed platform (handy since the platform has lots of drawers under it and it negates the need for a dresser). If it ever wears out I'll get another one just like it!  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Do I honestly need box springs?  Do they really do anything for you?  The ones I'm looking at, since the Sealy we want is 17" thick, are only 5.5" thick (low profile).
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
At the height of the dot-com boom I had some extra money and decided to splurge. I was having back problems, so I needed a new bed.

I decided on a Stearns & Foster pillow top. Paid $3,300. By the time I added the Calvin Klein sheets and duvet, down comforter, etc., the total was about $4,000.

Now, that is a lot of money, but the bed is still firm and in great shape and the sheets were the best sheets I ever owned.

And my back feels better.

Dayum.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, I did some bed testing yesterday (solo, unfortunately).

Laid on a $4000 all-foam bed with vibrating action and that adjusted like a hospital bed.  Very nice.

Laid on some Sealy Posturepedics (about $1500 or so) that were nice as well.

Then laid on the Select-Comfort Sleep Number bed.  WOW!  After about 5 minutes my back felt great, and for the rest of the day I had a spring in my step.  I like that both the wife and I can adjust our own sides, good warranty, and very highly rated.  Also a lot cooler to sleep on than memory-foam (it absorbs/retains body heat, which would suck in central FL, plus I'm a radiator when I sleep.)

Going to bite the bullet and buy one this weekend (big sale) - $2100 with frame/platform (all heavy grade plastic that my damn cats can't tear up), King, pillowtop.  Going to break down and spend about $175 on two memory foam pillows as well (damn those are nice, and HEAVY).  18 months 0% financing, too - schwing!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I think you will be pleased.  I have slept much better since getting ours and my wife absolutely loves it.  We had a problem with one side losing pressure just last week.  I tracked the problem to the pump unit and called select comfort.  They had a replacement (at no cost) to me within 36 hours.  I was pretty impressed with the customer service.

Just thought you might like to know.

Take care,

Cavu
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top