Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 11:15:29 AM EDT
I'm going to be buying a freezer for the basement.  I've got around $300 budgeted.  Which are better, the chest or upright models?

The chest seems like it wouldn't loose cold air when opened like an upright would (hot air rises, cold air falls reasoning).

However the upright models seem to offer more cubic feet of storage than a similar priced chest freezer.

Any input?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#1]
i have a chest freezer, but it has been converted to a kegerator.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The chest seems like it wouldn't loose cold air when opened like an upright would (hot air rises, cold air falls reasoning).

True. Some super-insulated refrigerators designed for use on boats and other applications where power is only available intermittently are designed as chests for this reason.

However, unlike a fridge,  a freezer isn't likely to have the door opened often enough to matter much - maybe just once or twice a week, versus dozens of times a day for a fridge.

Upright freezers tend to have better access to everything - no need to remove items on the top to get to things at the bottom.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Upright
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
For efficiency and simplicity, the chest freezer is the way to go.. all you have is a compressor and thermostat.

Not much to break and they are cheap
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Chest freezer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
The chest.  Someone in SF posted their uprights door got left open(in the garage, I think), and ruined all the contents.  If this had been a chest, gravity would have shut the door.  Something to consider.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
A post from ARFCOM's survival forum:
SHTF in Garage/ Freezer mishap
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#8]
The local grocery store was closing here, I wanted one of those big 2 door glass ones, but they were too much.  

Soon I wont have a place to stay so its better I dont have it
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Chest freezer, so you can buy it cheap and stack it deep
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Eaiser to get a body into a chest freezer...
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Eaiser to get a body into a chest freezer...

.......harder to get it out!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I have to put a vote in for upright, if you have room for it. If you want something at the bottom of a chest, you have to pull everything out to get to it. At least with the upright, everything is more visible and easier to get to.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd get the chest freezer.  I've had both and I liked the chest freezer best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top