Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 7:06:23 AM EDT
I'm not sure if all you K31 owners know this or not, but underneath the butt-plate of the K31 is usually the name-tag of the owner of the rifle. Many people have had success in contacting the now very old owners of these fine rifles. Below is a picture of the name tag in my 1944 manufactured K31 rifle. I just did a search in an on-line Swiss phone book and came up with a name that I think is the guy that owned my rifle. He would now be 82 years old. I plan to send him a letter and ask him about the history of the rifle and his military service etc. (see below for how you can contact your rifle owner).

Name produced by Online Swiss Phonebook (looks like the same guy?):

Balsiger Karl (-Flükiger)
Landw.
Eichmatt 11
3127 Mühlethurnen/BE 031 809 12 51

This webpage explains how to decifer the name tag:

How To Get The Address and Contact The Previous Owner

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:14:21 AM EDT
[#1]
The original owner of my k31 is deceased. The letter I sent was answered by his son.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The original owner of my k31 is deceased. The letter I sent was answered by his son.

I'd be temped to sell it to him cheap . I wish someone would find my old mans water cooled .30 , but alas no butt plate .
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#3]
My guy had a very common name, and there were just too many of him in the phone book
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking about getting one, until the gunstore salesman used that as his major selling point. I gues he thinks I'm a history junkie or something because I have a Garand.

"...and I have ammo too. Only $250 for 480 rounds. That's a good deal, you won't find hunting ammo that cheap at Wal-Mart."
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#5]
My tag was too hard to read, I tried several versions of his name but found nothing.

My rifle is a 1942 though
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

what did he say in the reply?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#8]
How do you like the rifle and the straight-pull action?  I was about to order a few from Aim Surplus.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:00:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't speak English?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:48:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I met an older gentleman at a shoot who had relatives in Switzerland.  Within 3 days of me sending him a picture of my tag his relatives had called my previous owner and spoken to his sister-in-law.  My PO passed away 3 years ago of old age.  His wife is still alive, and older brother but unfortunetly both have alzheimer's.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:55:05 AM EDT
[#11]

How do you like the rifle and the straight-pull action? I was about to order a few from Aim Surplus.

Easily the best deal in surplus rifles today and arguably the most accurate and well-built. The action is incredibly smooth and fast and outside of the butt being chewed up a bit on most, very well maintained.

Surplus GP-11 is match-grade quality as well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How do you like the rifle and the straight-pull action?  I was about to order a few from Aim Surplus.

I just received 3 from AIM.  Two are fairly nice but all three were  dirty as all getout and it took the better part of an after noon to clean them up.  Unlike my first purchase, all three   had  a name tag and I will be looking to contact the previous caretakers soon.   I took my first one pig hunting two weeks ago but didn't get a chance to test it on anything but juniper stumps with  the G11.   Plenty accurate , pleasant to shoot, and I really like the straight pull... but the ammo penetrated over a foot of old weathered juniper.  That tells me all I need to know about the possibilities when the reloadable brass shows up.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Mine was pretty banged up when I got it too.

Part of the fun is finding the nice rifle under all that shit.

Heres mine after about 20 hours of work

It was stripped, steamed, and wet sanded with boiled linseed oil. Nothing else.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/tc6969/P1000378.jpg

WOW !   That came out niiiice !  I think I'll take the most beatup one I've got and try to clean it up  in that manner.

BTW, it is not sporting at all to show that much stuff in the same picture to someone like me.
Nice collection !  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said he was glad that I enjoyed the rifle. He asked for a few pics of it also.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said he was glad that I enjoyed the rifle. He asked for a few pics of it also.

cool...that's pretty neat.  

I tried to look my guy up, but never got to far, and of course I've lost the slip.  

I guess at those prices, I could always just buy another one!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top