Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 6:36:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#2]
what kind of computer was it HP, compaq, dell what.  if it was a hp or compaq. alot of the newer ones have the recovery cds are built into the computer.  you turn it on and press f10 and it will start the recovery process.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#6]
If you still have your EULA sticker and your serial number on that EULA, you can use someone else's disc. That is legal and when you register with your original serial number, Microsoft will see you as 'you'. Just don't use the serial number from the disc you borrowed.

Now, there is a catch here. Not any disc will do. Many XP Home discs from PC manufacturers have a locked serial number range. This prevents you from using a Compaq recovery CD in your DELL with your DELL EULA serial number.

Most PC manufacturers can replace your recovery disc(s) for a fee. Check to see how much... many times it's high. You orther option is to buy an OEM version of XP. Legally, stores are required to sell these with PC's or hard drives. So, if you need to upgrade the drive, you may want to go this route.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh, and take anything mods say here with a 50lbs bag of salt. It seems their position, or at least their perception of their responsibilities, puts pressure on them to have all the answers. Sometimes, you'd think they were the Pope.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#8]
it sounds like if you formatted two drives you deleted the operating system partion and the recovery partition.  you will most likely need to call compaq and order the recovery cd's. They  cost about $20 or $30 bucks.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#9]
you need someones xp home cd.  i only have xp pro but i assume its the same.  when you boot the pc with the windows disk in, the install thing should boot up.  before you can reinstall windows you will have to format the computer with the NTFS file system (NOT FAT32).    you can either do the quick one or the long one, probably doesnt matter.  if you have time, i'd let it do the long one.

that is a utility with the xp cd.       as far as i know you can use someone elses xp home cd with your key, it definitely should work.  and thats NOT illegal (in reply to whoever stated that above).     you can always email microsoft and ask.

edit:  if you have a Dell, or an HP, or something like that they did not give you a complete windows install disc.  if that is the case, and there are 'dell windows' disks, or whatever then you will need to get dell discs from someone else.  another companys wont work.  i dont know the specifics on how all that works, but i hate all those companies and build my own computers because they're cheaper with better hardware (and faster).      if you just had a regular windows cd it will be easiest for you.  (those 'recovery cds' and stuff are all for those ppl with dells/etc)
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#10]
With Compaq not just any set of XP cd's will do the trick.  Unfortunatley, Compaq is (or at least used to be) very bad about working with MSFT to make mods so the install will work with their platforms.  You may be able to get it to load, but once you get to the internet again you should start downloading all the compaq drivers and XP udpdates or it will never work correctly again.  

ETA:  Since you have a second computer just get online with Compaq and ask them what to do.  And, get the drivers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#12]
The CD's that come from the manufacturer are usually model specific.  I tried a HP disk in a compaq and it didn't work.  (Of course these were all laptops which may be done differently) It told me it required the specific recovery disk. Contact the manufacturer.  You may even be able to DL the disk and burn them on the other computer for free.  The charge that most manufacturers put on is usually for the media and shipping/handling.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
my computer has crashed, it needs to be redone, i wiped the hard drives, and have nothing on the discs now, it had XP home, well i have the codes but i cannot find the XP disc...

Check the box in the attic that your computer came in.  If it's not there, check in your desk drawer because Recovery Disks like to hide underneath other discs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Find a system builder (OEM) copy...your key code will work.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#17]
If you use someone else's XP disk, make sure it is a oem copy.  Anything else will not be legal.  Once it's loaded you can find the drivers on line. Oh you might need to dl the lan drivers on someone else's computer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top