Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 6:05:39 AM EDT
So, I'm on penicillin because the gums around one of my wisdom teeth is infected.  And I'm on Tylonel with Codeine for the pain.  I started taking everything on Tuesday and have been feeling alright considering there was no swelling at all.  The pain was always there and when I would take the medicine I'd feel like sleeping almost right away.  Well, yesterday, my gums started swelling up and it hurts like crazy.  I don't know what caused the swelling and I don't know what to do to stop it.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The swelling and pain is from infection.

Teabags will help, put them right on the tooth.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Frtloop, I know how it feels, I had  a gum/tooth infection a few years ago, they put me on amoxicillin but I can't remember off the top of my head what painkiller they gave me.  

I hope you get better soon, get some rest, that's what worked for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:07:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Dude, I think I could handle any amount of pain to avoid a teabaggin.......
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Rinse 3 or 4 times today with very warm salt water...you'll feel better itomorrow.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:10:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Rinse 3 or 4 times today with very warm salt water...you'll feel better itomorrow.  

+1.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:18:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Usually anti-biotics will take care of the swelling (and as a result, the pain) in a day or two.  Until then Vicodin, Vicodin and more Vicodin ...   Ask for it by name!  I had an infected molar a few years back and I was ready to get the pliers

Tylonel with Codeine just makes me sleepy.  It does nothing for 'real' pain.  Call your dentist and get a script for some good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#8]
When I had a root canal, they put me on the prescription high strength Motrin.  However, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT take it and then consume caffiene of any kind, it will make you feel weird.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:23:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
images.acmehardware.com/200x200/4437505.jpg

!  

Oh man!  If you have ever had severe dental pain, that is so not funny!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:24:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Frootloop- Hope you feel better soon. I'm also on Tylonol 3 for pain ATM.

I just WISH it was my teeth gums that were hurting
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#11]
20lb test fishin line + door knob + open door

/SLAM

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, the pain was/is so bad that i called my mom crying.  She told me to call the oral surgeon and tell them that i need to be seen today.  So I called them and they won't see me at all because I'm a new patient....even though I was referred.  So, I called the on call dentist at my office and I'm waiting for him to call me back.  Right now I just want this tooth pulled out of my mouth.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
20lb test fishin line + door knob + open door

/SLAM

I'm feeling like doing that now....but the tooth is impacted still.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:33:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well, the pain was/is so bad that i called my mom crying.  She told me to call the oral surgeon and tell them that i need to be seen today.  So I called them and they won't see me at all because I'm a new patient....even though I was referred.  So, I called the on call dentist at my office and I'm waiting for him to call me back.  Right now I just want this tooth pulled out of my mouth.

I had the EXACT same feeling! I just wanted it to go.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:37:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Nothing worse than dental pain. I just had a wisdom pulled two days ago. While it's still a little sore, it's nothing compared to pain I endured for a week. I couldn't sleep. I felt like punching people at work. I was popping Vicodin like candy, and that hardly helped. The longer you wait, the worse it will get. Go get it pulled. It's not a big deal, really. For about $300 more they can put you out. I just had a local anesthetic and I didn't feel a thing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:38:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Not sure how much it'll help, try putting some ice chips along the gum where it's hurting...  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Not sure how much it'll help, try putting some ice chips along the gum where it's hurting...  

I think  I tried it once or twice, it didn't help, but YMMV.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Wisdom teeth suck......but you will soon feel better.

I had all four of mine removed at once and the surgeon broke my lower jaw.  Felt like shit for about 36 hours and then I was fine.

You will feel better as soon as they are gone.  Stitches feel alittle strange but not much pain.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#19]
If the infection is bad, it might be necessary to cut the gum open to let it drain.  That results in an immediate end to major pain, but usually there is still significant pain medication used for a day or two after the cut, along with a likely change in antibiotic.

Been there when the dentist missed a root during a root canal and it got infected, still have bad memories about the pain.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:02:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I am NOT a Doctor and may get slammed for suggesting it . When you are in pain they some times "kicking off" w/ a beer or two ......no do not renact Woodstock . Some times those pian killers need a little boost . but kicking off  could cause you to kick off to .
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#21]
If it is hurting real bad, in addition to your pain meds, take a quarter of an asprin and let it dissolve on the sore spot. It'll numb it pretty good. Just make sure you use quarters and not whole asprin--you do NOT want to overdose.

Works well on bee stings as well

GT
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Usually anti-biotics will take care of the swelling (and as a result, the pain) in a day or two.  Until then Vicodin, Vicodin and more Vicodin ...   Ask for it by name!  I had an infected molar a few years back and I was ready to get the pliers

Tylonel with Codeine just makes me sleepy.  It does nothing for 'real' pain.  Call your dentist and get a script for some good stuff.

Vicodin is just a synthetic codeine that also has Tylonel. They are almost exactly the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Hope you get better soon.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#24]
to kill the infection try everclear (or any hard liquer)  just hold a shot back in your mouth on the infected site for as long as you can stand.  you don't have to swallow it.  but do this once/hour for about a day.  should be better tomorrow.

i had a tooth break once and the root was exposed.  it was the worst pain i could imagine.  luckily it was a back molar and the releif when it was pulled was orgasmic.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Second the salt water, it works very well. Have you tried the origel numbing stuff. works OK too but the salt water seems to also ease the swelling by dehydeating the area causing the swelling to dissapate. Good luck. And get them pulled as soon as possible, cause it'll just keep happening. Had all 4 of mine done at the same time and only a day or 2 of discomfort, no pain really to speak of, just sensitivity.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quick FYI - I saw someone post about Everclear.  You will probably be tempted to drink a little to numb the pain, but tylenol + alcohol = bad juju for liver.  Don't mix.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quick FYI - I saw someone post about Everclear.  You will probably be tempted to drink a little to numb the pain, but tylenol + alcohol = bad juju for liver.  Don't mix.

I'm not tempted to drink anything.  Especially considering I'm on antibiotics.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Man...I totally know your pain....I had this happen about 6 months ago...stupid me didn't go to the dentist to get any painkillers...It's seriously the worst pain I've felt in years....It was even worse than when I broke my ankle.  Rinsing with Saltwater helped....but it finally took 6 days before the pain went away.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not tempted to drink anything.  Especially considering I'm on antibiotics.

I am highly resistant to nearly evey common pain killer, I have often had to "kick off" pain killers  with a shot of whiskey or three.  If you don't feel safe doing it then don't but that is the only thing that has worked for me.

Poor Frootie, I absolutely feel sorry for you.  I have been in your shoes more than once.....I hope you can get into a dentist as soon as possible.

Good luck!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#30]
OK, this will sound totally far out. I have a similar problem right now, and actually have a piece missing from the side of one of my wisdom teeth. Every once in a while it starts to hurt. Wake you up in the middle of the night - can't sleep kinda hurt. I know it needs to come out, but in the mean time it occasionally flares up.

An old guy told me to put a pinch of tobacco on the spot. I don't smoke or chew, and can't hardly stand the stuff. The last time it was killing me, I took a small pinch of tobacco from a cigarette, and put it back on the spot. WOW, it took the pain away. I couldn't believe it. My sister was having the same problem, and I told her, and it worked for her as well.

I have since bought a small tin of skoal, in case it happens again. It worked better than pain killers would have. Sounds weird, I know.

Don't swallow the tobacco!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

+100

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
OK, this will sound totally far out. I have a similar problem right now, and actually have a piece missing from the side of one of my wisdom teeth. Every once in a while it starts to hurt. Wake you up in the middle of the night - can't sleep kinda hurt. I know it needs to come out, but in the mean time it occasionally flares up.

An old guy told me to put a pinch of tobacco on the spot. I don't smoke or chew, and can't hardly stand the stuff. The last time it was killing me, I took a small pinch of tobacco from a cigarette, and put it back on the spot. WOW, it took the pain away. I couldn't believe it. My sister was having the same problem, and I told her, and it worked for her as well.

I have since bought a small tin of skoal, in case it happens again. It worked better than pain killers would have. Sounds weird, I know.

Don't swallow the tobacco!

Tobacco works well on bee stings as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#33]
I've heard that washing your mouth with salt water can kill the infecting microrganism.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've heard that washing your mouth with salt water can kill the infecting microrganism.

The saltwater is good for cleaning the area, but the tobacco will kill the pain.
ARFCOM tradition dictates -> Do Both!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#35]
So, I got a hold of three different oral surgeons today and not one would see me.  The reasons were "we aren't open today."  And I asked them if they just expected me to keep taking pain killers that weren't working and to just deal with the pain that is keeping me from doing anything and keeping me from eating and they told me that all they can say is to double up on the Tylonel #3.  HOWEVER, if I were a previous patient of theirs then they would be able to see me and do something to help me.

So, after freaking out and spending about 30 minute phone calls with my mother every hour crying because of the pain, I got my Rx filled for the Tylonel came home, gargled salt water, put orajel on my gums and sucked on ice cubes all night.  Finally the pain has subsided and the swelling is starting to go down.  I'm not sure if it's because of any of the but whatever it's from, I'm glad it's finally happend.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#36]
On a Sunday night I spent three hours in front of the mirror trying to convince myself not to pull the tooth. Sweat dripping.... finaly got my wife to get some T3 from her friend. Chewed one and swallowed another.

Had to get it pulled on Monday, but the wait was killing me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, I think I could handle any amount of pain to avoid a teabaggin.......

You beat me to it, you glorious bastard.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
On a Sunday night I spent three hours in front of the mirror trying to convince myself not to pull the tooth. Sweat dripping.... finaly got my wife to get some T3 from her friend. Chewed one and swallowed another.

Had to get it pulled on Monday, but the wait was killing me.

Well, if the pain is like it's been for the past week, meaning I could handle it with no problem, then I'm going to try and wait until Friday to get it pulled just so I have the weekend to recouperate.  I'm starting a new job on Monday and I don't really want to come in late or leave early on my first day to get this done.  But if it's absolutely necessary, then I'll have to get it done.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#39]
try the tobacco, you wont regret it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
try the tobacco, you wont regret it.

I really don't want to try it.  I used to smoke and I don't want the tobacco to get me to want to start smoking again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I understand.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Sinus Medication with antihistamine, all I Could take for pain, works well with teeth.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I had a filling come out of a molar while we were in the field once, and I didn't notice. Sometime later, I was chomping on a peppermint when a little sliver of it went straight down into the tooth and  made contact with the nerve. THEN, I noticed. Luckily, one of the guys had a pretty good aim, and he made a fist with the knuckle of his middle finger poking out, and he knocked the tooth out for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Finally the pain has subsided and the swelling is starting to go down.  I'm not sure if it's because of any of the but whatever it's from, I'm glad it's finally happend.

Good deal
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had a filling come out of a molar while we were in the field once, and I didn't notice. Sometime later, I was chomping on a peppermint when a little sliver of it went straight down into the tooth and  made contact with the nerve. THEN, I noticed. Luckily, one of the guys had a pretty good aim, and he made a fist with the knuckle of his middle finger poking out, and he knocked the tooth out for me.

What do you do if your eye hurts?!?!?!  

LOL, deal with it!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Is that like a dry socket? I had a dry socket after having a wisdom tooth pulled and for pain, they gave me the usual pills and shoved some kind of sting soaked in clove oil into the hole. That really worked. Maybe clove oil?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Is that like a dry socket? I had a dry socket after having a wisdom tooth pulled and for pain, they gave me the usual pills and shoved some kind of sting soaked in clove oil into the hole. That really worked. Maybe clove oil?

What do you mean by dry socket?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Normally after a tooth is pulled, a blood clot forms in the socket, which keeps foreign matter out and helps to keep it from getting infected. If the clot fails to form or is removed somehow, what you get is a "dry socket" which can be pretty painful, from what I understand.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Normally after a tooth is pulled, a blood clot forms in the socket, which keeps foreign matter out and helps to keep it from getting infected. If the clot fails to form or is removed somehow, what you get is a "dry socket" which can be pretty painful, from what I understand.

Oh...well, that's definitely not what i'm dealing with...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top