Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 5:04:02 AM EDT
From an email from the NRA:

During the same week the Senate passed S. 397, NRA-ILA helped win an important but less-publicized victory for small custom gunsmiths.  A massive highway construction bill (which President Bush promptly signed into law) contained an amendment that exempts manufacturers of fewer than 50 firearms from "manufacturing" excise taxes.

For nearly 30 years, under a baffling web of IRS regulations, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms tried to collect these "manufacturing" taxes from gunsmiths (including years' worth of back taxes, in some cases), even if they were only modifying firearms that had been made in a regular gun factory.

NRA members should salute Senator Max Baucus (D-MT) who has championed this issue for many years, as well as Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-IA), whose support was critical in ending this abuse of the tax system against America's many small gunsmiths.

--------

So, what exactly does this do?  What if I build a firearm from a flat plate schematic, such as AK-47, or Cobray M-11.  Were these builds affected before?  Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:27:42 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]
A seemingly small, but very important victory. Way to go NRA and those who pushed for it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A seemingly small, but very important victory. Way to go NRA and those who pushed for it.

Yea, but a person still can't own a handgun in Cook County.

Until the NRA tries to fight big problems, I'm not going to be impressed over small victories.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Until the NRA tries to fight big problems, I'm not going to be impressed over small victories.

Uhhh......

One step at a time there scooter. One step at a time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the NRA can't fight every loony city/county council that passes stupid laws.  Vote with your feet and move.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#7]
So what this means is that if you manufacture less than 50 guns a year you dont need a SOT?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top