Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 12:03:40 AM EDT
Police Beating of Minister Disputed
Witnesses say an attack on Nation of Islam's Tony Muhammad was unprovoked. But LAPD says he joined a mob that assaulted officers.

Richard Winton and Andrew Blankstein
Times Staff Writers
August 27, 2005
www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-muhammad27aug27,0,1283157.story?coll=la-home-local
Appearing battered with a swollen face, the western regional director of the Nation of Islam stood Friday with community activists who accused Los Angeles police of beating the leader without provocation during a street vigil for a Hyde Park slaying victim Thursday night.

Police, however, said Minister Tony Muhammad had joined in a mob assault on two police officers and was injured in the "scuffle" when police tried to take him into custody.

"Minister Tony Muhammad became quite belligerent and joined in the assault," Assistant Chief Jim McDonnell said at an afternoon news conference.

Police arrested Muhammad on suspicion of battery of an officer, and two of his bodyguards were arrested on suspicion of resisting or obstructing an officer.

The incident prompted a day of press conferences and demonstrations, with Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa speaking on live television promising a full investigation and urging the community to stay united.

Los Angeles Sentinel Publisher Danny Bakewell told reporters that the officers punched and kicked Muhammad as he lay on the ground.

"The attack was unprovoked. He was wrestled to the ground, pepper-sprayed in his face, and once he was on the ground he was kicked brutally and punched in the mouth," said Bakewell, a longtime activist and founder of the Brotherhood Crusade.

The incident erupted as angry residents gathered to mourn 21-year-old Nahum Beaird, who was killed Wednesday in what police believe was a gang-related shooting. Some bystanders claim that paramedics declared Beaird dead even though he appeared to move under the sheet. Los Angeles fire and police officials deny this, saying he was dead at the scene.

City Councilwoman Jan Perry told reporters that Muhammad told her the confrontation began when he approached police to complain that they had not set up traffic control and that a police car had driven up the street quickly.

Bakewell added that Muhammad was speaking by cellphone with Deputy Chief Earl Paysinger just before the altercation, telling the officers, "I'm on the phone with your boss."

One man who said he witnessed the incident said Friday that officers struck Muhammad after he came out of a nearby apartment complex and began to talk to them. "They hit him with their fists and then their nightsticks," said the man, who spoke on the condition that he not be named.

The LAPD, however, offered a significantly different account.

Officers were patrolling the 6300 block of 10th Avenue in the Hyde Park neighborhood, where Beaird was shot, on Thursday to protect against potential retaliatory shootings, McDonnell said. About 8:30 p.m., two officers asked Nation of Islam members to move two double-parked SUVs that were blocking traffic, fearing the vehicles could become a target.

The officers then were surrounded and assaulted, McDonnell said. One officer's breast pocket and name tag were ripped, and a police radio was stolen. Muhammad joined in the assault, he said.

As officers tried to arrest the minister for battery on a police officer, a "scuffle ensued," McDonnell said.

More than 100 officers were sent to the scene to prevent further violence, said McDonnell, who was acting chief during the incident. LAPD Chief William J. Bratton returned Friday evening from vacation and went to the station near Hyde Park.

"We can only trust that the community will rationally evaluate the situation and consider the facts and the source of those facts," McDonnell said during a press conference Friday afternoon in front of a church not far from the apartment complex.

About an hour later at 5 p.m., Villaraigosa called for unity and calm.

"Let me be clear: No one is above the law," Villaraigosa said. "Not a politician, not a priest, not a criminal, not a police officer. We are all accountable for our actions."

Villaraigosa was flanked at the press conference by John Mack, the civil rights leader the mayor recently appointed head of the police commission, and Inspector General Andre Birotte.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#1]

City Councilwoman Jan Perry told reporters that Muhammad told her the confrontation began when he approached police to complain that they had not set up traffic control and that a police car had driven up the street quickly.

I wonder if he remembers the exact words he used
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Only hope someone  caught the video AND audio on tape. Just video with NO sound can be interpereted wrong. But Im SURE it was a peaceful fun loving hootenanny.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:16:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:  

"We can only trust that the community will rationally evaluate the situation and consider the facts and the source of those facts,"

Perhaps he's giving them too much credit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:18:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:  

"We can only trust that the community will rationally evaluate the situation and consider the facts and the source of those facts,"

Perhaps he's giving them too much credit.

"Let me be clear: No one is above the law," Villaraigosa said. "Not a politician, not a priest, not a criminal, not a police officer. We are all accountable for our actions."

I think they are both out to lunch
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Witnesses say an attack on Nation of Islam's Tony Muhammad was unprovoked. But LAPD says he joined a mob that assaulted officers.

That all I read.

What "witnesses"

other Muhammad's?

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That all I read.

What "witnesses"

other Muhammad's?

Well, one thing is for sure
any SMART people would have been loooong gone from there
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#7]
What bugs me is, where are these vigils EVERY TIME a  gang member gets shot?

Let me get this straight... Please calibrate me if I have it wrong.

Gang members get shot. Local Fire and Law Enforcement get called onto the scene. Local Fire and Law Enforcement try to help. Its the Local Fire and Law Enforcement's fault the guy died.

Now one of a couple things happened. Either paramedics misdiagnosed the condition of the person who was shot (It has happened before) OR what the people have seen was post mortem movement as the body dies, nerves and muscles move.

I have even heard of a case where a corpse sat straight up.

Either way, Local Fire and Law Enforcement DID NOT SHOOT THIS MAN! THEY ARE NOT TO BLAME FOR HIS DEATH!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:25:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Gang members get shot. Local Fire and Law Enforcement get called onto the scene. Local Fire and Law Enforcement try to help. Its the Local Fire and Law Enforcement's fault the guy died.

Now one of a couple things happened. Either paramedics misdiagnosed the condition of the person who was shot (It has happened before) OR what the people have seen was post mortem movement as the body dies, nerves and muscles move.

Either way, Local Fire and Law Enforcement DID NOT SHOOT THIS MAN! THEY ARE NOT TO BLAME FOR HIS DEATH!!!!

Its "tactical" blame, blame ANYONE but the people that are actually responsible
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:31:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OH AND THE GUNS!!!! DONT FORGET TO BLAME THE GUNS TOO!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:35:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OH AND THE GUNS!!!! DONT FORGET TO BLAME THE GUNS TOO!!!

Thats right, even if they weren't used in this situation, they are still dangerous, ban them(for the children)
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:26:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Only hope someone  caught the video AND audio on tape. Just video with NO sound can be interpereted wrong. But Im SURE it was a peaceful fun loving hootenanny.

<< CoC comment removed by ARFcom Precrime Unit >>

+1

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Appearing battered with a swollen face, the western regional director of the Nation of Islam stood Friday

Sounds like a fucking personal problem to me?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I would PAY to see the video of this.... BIG money!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top