Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2001 12:46:18 PM EDT
I've always been interested in politics, and am typically not very happy with how my elected reps vote.  I have been thinking a lot lately about running for office, but don't know where to start.

I haven't been actively involved with the state republican party, and don't have a clue where to start.  I am only 23 and still in college, so this may take me out of the running because the party might not take my bid seriously.

If anyone has ran for office I would be interested in hearing about your experience, and would like your advice where to how to get things started.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I am going to run for office one of these days.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend of mine from college ran for state house representative right out of school.  

He was the Green Party candidate, but the Greens disowned him after his platform of creating a red light district, and his habit of not wearing shoes or bathing.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If you haven't been active in your local party,
you have a tough road ahead of you.
ALL POLITICS ARE LOCAL. You will need to know the issues and concerns of your constituents.
Since you are moving it will be even harder for
you because you are going to be the new kid on the block; an unknown and unconnected entity.
Get involved in your local party, find or create the issues, and pay your dues.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A friend of mine from college ran for state house representative right out of school.  

He was the Green Party candidate, but the Greens disowned him after his platform of creating a red light district, and his habit of not wearing shoes or bathing.  
View Quote

Unfortunately, that sounds like the typical third party candidate.

Social acceptance is essential to getting elected.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been there , done that ,loved it  :)

Ran in 1986 , when I was 23 ... local County Board ...

I was very vocal , called them as I saw Tthem ..
no BS politicking . Voters loved how I told the TRUTH !!  Media loved me because I talked to them ...
They did a nice article in the paper about my gun business .

I did piss off someone higher up in the county
political affairs , though .

I had the BATF trying to sell me drugs & illegal weapons ( a real set up ) . I worked as an informant with the local LEO trying to set these guys up .
Locals did know about the Feds & the Feds knew nothing about the locals  :)

The Feds hit my doorstep on the day after the ruling was announced concerning the possession
of M16 parts along with an AR was still considered illegal , even though  they were seperate .
They took my M16 trigger parts ( that I used for  local LEO ), a 10" upper from a pistol and a
AR15HBAR Delta and said " lookee her , I think we found an illegal weapon " .
They left my place , allowwing me to keep the other 20 or so guns in my inventory ( including AR10s , Cobray M11-9mm , etc. )( guess I was not too big a threat to the society ) .
Heard nothing until a Grand jury endictment came down 2 yrs later ( right before my re election bid , how convenient - I was allowed to be a gun dlr for those 2 yrs ...)
At the time , my wife was pregnant , I was broke , so I got a cheapass lawyer thatr knew nothing...
should have seen the Feds eyes when , during my testimony , when I produced letters from the Sherrif & deputies confirming that I was indeed
working for them trying to set the Feds up in a local bust operation  :) .
Anyway , the judge did not care , gave me probation for a Felony charge . I was such a threat , they allowed me to come back later for my prints & photo session .
The local media had my outcome on the radio , before I ever heard it ... inside info ? :)

Anyway , I still pulled 45% vote in my election
( lost , though ) ....
I'm still active in politics , though I own no guns  :(

dP
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]
1) Couldn't afford the cut in pay
2) Couldn't stand the a**holes I'd HAVE to deal with
3) Couldn't motivate more than a half-dozen to vote for me.  I think my politics would scare Joe Average.

So, I'll just remain a pain in the ass to whoever is in charge.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#7]
does jr high class president count?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Start by reading the bios of the folks who are in the positions you want.  This gives you an idea of the type of future you will need to build in order to be considered a credible alternative.  Volunteer a few thousand hours with a political party of your choice.  Learn the ropes.  Get to know people.  Perhaps this goes without saying, but don't make enemies.  You need many capable personal friends in order to run for office and you will meet many of these through the organizations you join. Find a personal viewpoint that the average voter will say "yeah - that's what I want" to.  Be presentable.  Become a fiscal success and be personable, well mannered and articulate.  Learn to debate effectively and non-confrontationally.  Learn who you can trust, then don't unless necessary.  Remember that all politics ARE local. Try not to get a knife in the back and build bridges not bombs.  Volunteer to help out in new and/or senior positions.  Listen.  Hear.  Understand.  Ask questions.  Take opportunities as they arise.  Don't drop a ball.  Most important rule: Learn the rules or you won't know how to play the moves.

Then run for office and find out what kind of stuff muckslingers can imply/invent/dredge up. It's a dirty thankless business, but if none of us fulfill our civic duties then the antis and their ilk will surely step into those positions of power and influence.

I've never run for true public office, but I have recently been reelected as a Manitoba director for the NFA.  I'm also VP and past president of my CA (a federal political party) riding association.  Met the Leader of Her Majesty's Official Opposition again just last week.

Politics is a contact sport.  But it's the right thing to do.  

[flag]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I've run twice as a Libertarian candidate for congress. I'm a poor speaker by normal standards, but often audiences love that I tell them exactly what I think. I frequently get more applause and laughs than the major party candidates, and many people have come up to me and seriously thanked me for injecting common sense into the discussions.

But the hundred or so people who come hear a local debate or forum don't mean squat in the big picture of things, and the press controls what the public at large hears about what went on there. A couple times I've been left wondering how those reporters and editors could sleep at night, from the discrepancy between "the news" and what really happened.

But I'm almost sure to do it again, because it's a rush for a machinist to stand up in front of a crowd and PROVE that a big-wig sitting congressman (who is right there next to you) has lied to them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm running for Reno City council next year.  I haven't started on my campaign yet though... maybe I should.  

[):)]
NSF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top