Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 11:09:30 PM EDT
Recently picked up a set of 4 limited run signed and numbered prints. Figured I would share one of them with the group (Just finished framing it after a trip to Hobby Lobby for a frame and backing).

The series is from John Pitre, Commentary on Mankind

John Pitre website

He has some really cool paintings. The 4 prints I have are below...

Restrictions
Overpopulation
Retribution
Israeli Martyrs

Anyone else into art?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Certainly, I just graduated with a BA in Art with an emphasis in oil painting. I don't really buy prints because I have several friends that I trade original work with so we can all build up our personal collections, but those do look nice. I like the way he creates atmosphere.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Certainly, I just graduated with a BA in Art with an emphasis in oil painting. I don't really buy prints because I have several friends that I trade original work with so we can all build up our personal collections, but those do look nice. I like the way he creates atmosphere.

Do you sell them?

I've been looking into some of Peter Ellenshaws work. I really want Mickeys Dream but right now its out of reach. I'm saving up for some good night vision gear.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#3]
put a shirt on!

most art in the house is the g/f's photographs, and my random metal art in the yard...
Kind of neat having your own art on display!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
put a shirt on!

most art in the house is the g/f's photographs, and my random metal art in the yard...
Kind of neat having your own art on display!

Metal art!!
What kind?! Do tell.....

My father in law does metal artwork. Its actually "well known" (Out of the few people that do it) and has been featured in some galleries here and there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of the stuff is recycled bicycle art, but most is just little experiments in upsetting the neighbors.

not really, but we've discussed some bigger stuff for the backyard.

"Unfortunately", most of the metalwork lately is based around racecar preparation, which is very fun,
but sometimes lacks the free style of sculptures and stuff...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Not too often really, I don't have much of a catalog of work right now because I haven't really been painting as much as I should since I graduated last spring. I've got a web site but it's almost embarrasing to show as its mostly a few years out of date, and most of the work is sketches from a life drawign class. It was a project for a web design class.

members.cox.net/conneltr/
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]
pRon link alert!!

just kidding!
Some really nice work there!

I wish I could get into color a bit more...
Mostly blackwork or pencil sketching for me.

(sorry, no online pics yet...)
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I have some prints from the Naval Institute Press.  One is signed by Buckeley, the fellow whose PT boat carried MacArthur out of the Philippines.  Another is signed by Marine Ace Joe Foss.  Admiral Eugene Fluckey (USS Barb) signed another print featuring his sub escaping from the China Coast.  I've got a photo signed by Jimmy Doolittle and there's an accompanying drawing of a young Doolittle and his B-25 (hurrah!).  In my office I have a Carlos Hathcock print that was signed by Carlos.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:45:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have some prints from the Naval Institute Press.  One is signed by Buckeley, the fellow whose PT boat carried MacArthur out of the Philippines.  Another is signed by Marine Ace Joe Foss.  Admiral Eugene Fluckey (USS Barb) signed another print featuring his sub escaping from the China Coast.  I've got a photo signed by Jimmy Doolittle and there's an accompanying drawing of a young Doolittle and his B-25 (hurrah!).  In my office I have a Carlos Hathcock print that was signed by Carlos.

Winner
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:57:36 AM EDT
[#10]
We have owned a frame shop for over 20 years.  I can't tell from your photo if that is a black mat or your art is on top of a black backing and is thereby resting against the glass,

You do not want your artwork up against the glass.  It will eventually stick to the glass.

Take your frame and art to a frame shop and have them cut a mat for you which will provide a spacer btwn your art and glass.

Acidfree mat(s) and backing are the way to go if you truly believe the art has $value$ which will increase. A mat like you might get at hobby lobby is a paper mat and will "fox" or discolor your art in time due to its acid content. Foxing is essentially an acid burn of the paper especially fine print stock.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:59:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We have owned a frame shop for over 20 years.  I can't tell from your photo if that is a black mat or your art is on top of a black backing and is thereby resting against the glass,

You do not want your artwork up against the glass.  It will eventually stick to the glass.

Take your frame and art to a frame shop and have them cut a mat for you which will provide a spacer btwn your art and glass.

Acidfree mat(s) and backing are the way to go if you truly believe the art has $value$ which will increase. A mat like you might get at hobby lobby is a paper mat and will "fox" or discolor your art in time due to its acid content. Foxing is essentially and acid burn of the paper especially fine print stock.

THANK YOU!

Its actually a semi dark green. But yes, its "matboard" from Hobby Lobby, bout 5 bucks a sheet. And yes, the art is against the glass. I'll take care of that next week.
Is it something thats extremely time sensitive, or do I have a few weeks to get it done?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:03:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Heres some pictures of the FIL's metal art. Its pretty frickin amazing. The birds, with base, are about eye level. Everything is made out of irrigation pipe. Birds, stands, everything. Each bird is made feather by feather, then the feathers are welded together.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:09:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Few weeks no prob.  Living in KS and not the humidity of FL like me it might never stick.  However it is a might.

For example...you have an A/C house power goes out whatever in dead summer slightest condesation layers the iside of glass as it heats up in the closed house..start of a problem.

10 years later bingo stuck art.

As to acid free mats and backing they are made of buffered cotton rag which is a base and not an acid and do not impart acid to the work.

A paper mat is bleached cardboard with a color paper layer and contain acid.
find crescent or bainbridge matboard website for a more detail explanation

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:13:21 AM EDT
[#14]
wow, those cranes are awesome....

Most of the art hanging in my home consists of photographs I've taken over the years although we do have some lithograhphs

FloridaConfederate - there must be decent $$$ in high-end framing...my wife just spent about $275 to get two of my photos custom matted and framed side by side.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:26:24 AM EDT
[#15]
There is good money.

Wanna buy a successful, strong book frame shop with a steallar reputation in Tampa ?

It is a biz where you are custom crafting for folks and that can be tough at times.  People, as you may notice around here sometimes, seem to have grown more rude and increasingly more idiotic these days.  I am experiencing this in my store more and more everyday.

The more damn yankee transplants that come here, the more our culture is transitioned from its friendly, small town Southern and Latin manner, to the arogant, beat you down at all cost attitudes of the New England cities.

Being on the other end of a retail counter can be a tasking experience.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:34:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
There is good money.

Wanna buy a successful, strong book frame shop with a steallar reputation in Tampa ?

It is a biz where you are custom crafting for folks and that can be tough at times.  People, as you may notice around here sometimes, seem to have grown more rude and increasingly more idiotic these days.  I am experiencing this in my store more and more everyday.

The more damn yankee transplants that come here, the more our culture is transitioned from its friendly, small town Southern and Latin manner, to the arogant, beat you down at all cost attitudes of the New England cities.

Being on the other end of a retail counter can be a tasking experience.

Where is your shop? (I  grew up in Tampa)
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Working on framing my artwork
(Just finished framing it after a trip to Hobby Lobby for a frame and backing).

Don't know if you consider this art but I do.
I frame some of our higher end knives for display.
We use the same antler mounting the knife if they are antler theme knives, and we try to use the same hide of that animal.
Here's a few examples.

Moose antler Bowie mounted on red Honduras mahogany  

Desert Ironwood handle also mounted with red Honduras mahogany  

Buffalo Bowie with 18 K gold buffalo on handle mounted on Basswood with feathers

What do you do to tie your corners together, I had the use of a friends picture framing shop a couple of years ago and am looking to pick up an old picture framing machine, the best are the old timers from Denmark.
Heavy as hell but precision like no other.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:22:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We use the same antler mounting the knife if they are antler theme knives, and we try to use the same hide of that animal.
Here's a few examples.

pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/755827/1309945/24322966.jpg

pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/755827/1309945/16579116.jpg

Buffalo Bowie with 18 K gold buffalo on handle mounted on Basswood with feathers

pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/755827/1309945/20392643.jpg

What do you do to tie your corners together, I had the use of a friends picture framing shop a couple of years ago and am looking to pick up an old picture framing machine, the best are the old timers from Denmark.

jrzy, your knives are art in my book.

The missus and I are fond of many types of art and can usually be found at any art show within 50-100 miles of our home. I wish so many weren't so bone headed about what constitutes "art".
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a few examples.

pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/755827/1309945/24322966.jpg

pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/755827/1309945/16579116.jpg

pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/755827/1309945/20392643.jpg

jrzy, your knives are art in my book.

The missus and I are fond of many types of art, and can usually be found at any art show within 50-100 miles of our home. I wish so many weren't so bone headed anout what constitutes "art".

Thanks

Art to me is something that gives you pleasure to look at, pain to look at, sorrow, maybe pure joy.
Art can provoke thought and sometimes it just eases the mind and sends you somewhere else.
Art as in beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.
(jrzy sensitive side LOL)
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm into art.  I prefer to make my own though.

Here is some examples from arfcoms resident starving artist,

Broken Treaties

Little Joe

The Purist 1

The Purist 2

"New Horizons" Don Juan de Onate This is a maquette for a monument that is in Santa Fe at the National Guard headquarters

My favorite artists are Wilson Hurley, Howard Terpning and of course this guy named Remington.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm into art.  I prefer to make my own though.

Here is some examples from arfcoms resident starving artist,

Broken Treaties
spmstudios.com/images/BrokenTreaties.jpg

Little Joe
spmstudios.com/images/LittleJoe.jpg

The Purist 1
spmstudios.com/images/McCormick-2.jpg

The Purist 2
spmstudios.com/images/thepuristoptp1.jpg

"New Horizons" Don Juan de Onate This is a maquette for a monument that is in Santa Fe at the National Guard headquarters

spmstudios.com/images/DonJuan.jpg

My favorite artists are Wilson Hurley, Howard Terpning and of course this guy named Remington.

Yep Fred is one of my favorites too, I have three reproductions, wish I could afford the real deals but these are good copies.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top