Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 3:59:28 PM EDT
Hey everyone,
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes.
I have an old gun that needs to be cleaned.  Its a family peice, supposedly from the Civil War.  It will continue to be handed down through the generations and wont be fired, but previous familly member didnt appreciate what they had.
Can I just use CLP, or should I let a professinal look at it?

Thanks for all your help,

Travis
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's a family relic from the civil war I would let a professional restoration guy have a look at it, one who is familiar specifically with Civil War era weapons. Don't do it yourself.
Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If it's a family relic from the civil war I would let a professional restoration guy have a look at it, one who is familiar specifically with Civil War era weapons. Don't do it yourself.
Just my opinion.

Yep. You might also want to ask this question in the C&R forum. They're fans of old guns and may know who to point you to.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok thanks guys.  I'll ask in C&R.  Didn't know about that forum.

Travis
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:36:50 AM EDT
[#4]
If this gun dates to the civil war and has collector value, hard cleaning can remove thousands of dollars of value.

Get a professional appraisal and then cleaning, and Joe Blow average gunsmith isn't the guy to do the work.

In June I saw a Golden Age flintlock with the methylene chloride residue from paint stripper - that made a roughly $10000 gun worth about $500 or maybe a tiny bit more.

Please post a picture so we can attempt to identify the gun.  You might also go to a library with a copy of Flayderman's to help you id the gun and get some idea of it's worth.

By the way, there's a huge difference between and antique firearm and a C&R.  It's not your daddy or grandpa's gun, it was their grandpa's gun and should be handled differently; no one cares if you strip the finish off a Mosin-Nagant.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
By the way, there's a huge difference between and antique firearm and a C&R.  It's not your daddy or grandpa's gun, it was their grandpa's gun and should be handled differently; no one cares if you strip the finish off a Mosin-Nagant.

Yeah, which is why I didn't tell him that he could learn everything I needed to know about it in the C&R forum, but instead told him that those guys could probably point him in the right direction.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice, the rifle is at my Mother-in-laws.
I was hoping to have a picture by Monday, but I think it's going to be next week.  I will post as soon as I get one, and will check into a antique person for apraisal.

Thanks again,

Travis
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top