Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2005 11:58:46 AM EDT
I got an email that stated since we cannot altogether stop buying gas, that we could start a price war to lower gas prices at the pump by not filling up at Exxon/Mobil stations. This would cause exxon/mobil to have to lower their prices to sell any gas at all and thus cause the competitors to do so as well. Kind of like the employee pricing deal that every car dealership is offering now. I think the number of people would have to be astronomical to do this. What do you think? poll coming
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Stupid idea.

It comes from the same damn refineriens.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats the most retarded fucking thing I've ever heard of in my life. Who comes up with this asshat hair brain shit??

EDIT
Not the most retarded, but pretty high up there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#3]
What, like Exxon/Mobil is somehow profiting more than BP or Shell or Citgo or whomever?

I think you need to quit basing your life on chain emails.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure, Liberals maybe?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#5]
You want lower gas prices??

Here

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#6]
As long as people refuse to give up their gas guzzlers the demand will out weigh the supply and the prices will remain high.  When the majority of people start driving fuel efficent cars and truck and the supply starts to get stock piled they'll be more then happy to all but give it away to get rid of it.  You want lower gas prices, take away the demand and watch em' come down.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You want lower gas prices, take away the demand and watch em' come down.

Then you better stop using oil to heat your homes and also stop usin plastics.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Here

www.flashextension.net/peakoil/3.082605B1L_sm.jpg

Generally speaking, I've never met a horse I didn't want to shoot. However, that's one fine looking horse!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm not sure, Liberals maybe?

Then where does that rank you for regurgitating stupid chain mails?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You want lower gas prices, take away the demand and watch em' come down.

Then you better stop using oil to heat your homes and also stop usin plastics.

Sgatr15

I heat my home with wood. A renewable resource.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What about plastics?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about plastics?

Sgat1r5

Don't you dare stop using plastics.

I got pay my employees.  My EBR disease needs to be fed.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What, like Exxon/Mobil is somehow profiting more than BP or Shell or Citgo or whomever?

I think you need to quit basing your life on chain emails.

My life is not based on chain emails. Just thought It might be a fun topic, hence the pie option.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about plastics?

Sgat1r5

Well, if people REALLY want to affect the price of oil then they will stop using plastics.

But I am guessing they won't.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My life is not based on chain emails. Just thought It might be a fun topic, hence the pie option.

Then make my pie Super Nev-R-Nok! Mmmmmm ... Octane Pie!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about plastics?

Sgat1r5

Well, if people REALLY want to affect the price of oil then they will stop using plastics.

But I am guessing they won't.

Sgat1r5

Most effective way to drop oil prices?

Don't drive a vehicle that gets 8 - 12 MPG.  There are cars out there that get 40+ MPG.

Yes I know there is a choice, but driving more economical vehicles will help oil prices.

Or we could nuke China.  They are fast becoming the largest user of oil.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#17]
What ever we cut back on China will take up the slack.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Don't drive a vehicle that gets 8 - 12 MPG.  There are cars out there that get 40+ MPG.

Yes I know there is a choice, but driving more economical vehicles will help oil prices.

Great, send me a check for $20k  and I will go buy that car TODAY!

Until then STFU and I will drive what I have.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

+1

A 40MPG car will not have enough balls to pull a trailer.. Till that happens Im stuck too. You need to remember that NOT all of us live in the DAMN city.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

Excuse me?  You said stop using plastics.  I say bullshit!  Plastics are only a fraction of world output of oil.

I made a suggestion, you don't have to like it, but don't tell me to STFU.

You have no right whatsoever to bitch about oil prices if you choose to drive an unecomical car.

www.uwm.edu/~tholme/old105/feedstock.htm

3% of output is used as chemical base for plastics.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Excuse me?  You said stop using plastics.  I say bullshit!  Plastics are only a fraction of world output of oil.

I made a suggestion, you don't have to like it, but don't tell me to STFU.

You have no right whatsoever to bitch about oil prices if you choose to drive an unecomical car.

www.uwm.edu/~tholme/old105/feedstock.htm

3% of output is used as chemical base for plastics.

Great stats.  But you DON'T see me bitching about gas now do you?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Great stats.  But you DON'T see me bitching about gas now do you?

Sgat1r5

No but you're bitching (and bitch bout every thread anyone mentions this) about driving a smaller car.

No, not all of us can afford cars that get decent gas mileage.  Some may not have a choice, but if I offer an answer, there is no need to tell me to STFU.

If you don't have something constructive to say, you should shut your yapper.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I did....I suggested we stop using plastics, and oil burning stoves.

Other are suggesting I buy a smaller car, but they won't pay for that car.

Stopping the use of plastics will cost you nothing, buying a new car will cost you.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I did....I suggested we stop using plastics, and oil burning stoves.

Other are suggesting I buy a smaller car, but they won't pay for that car.

Stopping the use of plastics will cost you nothing, buying a new car will cost you.

Sgatr15

Again, though, plastics make up only between 3 - 10% of all oil output.  Not even enough to make a dent in consumption.  Oil is slated for about 50% gasoline, 30% diesel, 10% other.

Stopping the use of plastics will cost something.  If an item is not made out of plastic, then it has to be made out of something.

Making an item out of a material like aluminum or steel will cost more money in the long run, as it takes more energy to create steal/aluminum than plastic.

Consumer will not be willing to pay 3 - 5x as much for the same item made out of aluminum or steel.

I suppose you could use wood, but then you have problems with things like ignition with heat contact.

ETA:  I forgot to mention there are new plastics that have no oil base whatsoever.

Things like wood fiber and soy are being used now.  So the plastics industry is trying to move away from oil.  We used wood fiber, but found it was harder to keep stabile at the moment.  New compounds should be helping that out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
As long as people refuse to give up their gas guzzlers the demand will out weigh the supply and the prices will remain high.  When the majority of people start driving fuel efficent cars and truck and the supply starts to get stock piled they'll be more then happy to all but give it away to get rid of it.  You want lower gas prices, take away the demand and watch em' come down.

Oh shut up about the "gas guzzlers" already.  Why don't you post some numbers about how much of a percentage of TOTAL US consumption of oil is used in gasoline form by "gas guzzlers" exclusively.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Back on topic.

I don't think the Exxon/Mobil boycott would work because as soon as gas went down by a penny at Exxon I would ship there.

I am very cheap when it comes to gasoline.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Great Idea. Let's boycot the only AMERICAN oil company.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#29]
The proposal as stated would not accomplish much.  The demand would be increased at other stations/brands, and the gasoline would go there.  It's like the ideas of boycotting all gas stations for one day.  So what?  You just need that much more the next.

A variation on the theme is a possible solution.  The people behind this all would pay no attention to us anyway.  Do you think you could get throuogh to the CEO of any oil corporation?  If you represented yourself as the head of a movement to do the boycott, you might get transferred to some flunky just so they could find out who you are.  But, if everyone stayed home from work on one particular day, that would be different.  Other business would be affected. And, if the CEO of <fill in corporation not operating because the employees stayed home>  called, then they would listen.  They wouldn't be manipulating individuals.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh shut up about the "gas guzzlers" already.  Why don't you post some numbers about how much of a percentage of TOTAL US consumption of oil is used in gasoline form by "gas guzzlers" exclusively.

Well, let's see. If you drive a car/truck that get's 10 miles per gallon and I drive a car/truck that gets 20 miles per gallon I can go twice as far on the same amount of gas as you can.  That means that in a years time I'll spend half as much as you and use half as much. Seems like if people that are just using their cars/trucks to drive to work would cut their consumption by half in a years time we'd have that much more fuel as a reserve. The more we've got in reserve the less the price will be, it's just simple logic.    I could have gotten a Hemi in my new Dodge truck but why when a 3.7L V6 will get me there just the same and net me 5 or 6 more miles per gallon.  
 It really comes down to people being pigs about things and thinking that as long as they can pay for it they have the right to use all of "it" that they want.   I'd rather use just what I need and save something for my grandkids, the worlds supply of oil isn't infinite, it'll run out one day then we'll have no choice but to find an alternate means of transportation.    If you want to give all your money to the Arab Oil Shiks that's your business but I'd rather give em' as little of it as I can get by with.  They're making too damn much money off of us already, why drive a "gas guzzler" and give the bastards more money.  All they're doing is laughing all the way to the bank at a bunch of "stupid Americans" that waste gas by driving cars and trucks that they don't need to drive.   Just think of all the money you'd have left over for ammo and guns if you cut your fuel bill in half, but like I said, it's your money blow it if you want.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#31]
HowTo reduce the price of energy

• Stop driving ¾ton trucks to an office job, if you're worried about being 'safe' in a crash, take the bus since they are way safer and have a better safety record than SUVs
    • In Texas, SUVs are 32% of the vehicular fleet but use 54% of the gas

• support building a refinery in your state, no new US refinery since 1973 due to eco-ijits

• demand that the types of gasoline be standardized so that each state doesn't demand a specific blend to reduce the types of gasoline that has to be refined, this simplifies(which reduces the cost) of gasoline

• demand that the NRC release a standardized plan for a nuclear reactor so that each license isn't endless bogged down in the courts by eco-ijits

• demand that at least two of the above reactors be built in your state

• support the creation of a coal~>oil program, the WWII Germany could run off of it with the Allies bombing their refineries daily, then we can do the same. Especially since no one's air force is bombing it. demand that one of the plants be built in your state

• occasionally take the bus to work

• demand a 'windfall profits' tax on energy futures speculation to take the profit out the Wall Street ijits that have speculated the price upwards(hint: same group of ijits that speculated the dot com stocks up)

• demand the use of alternative fuels, support the building of the plants in your state, and then BUY THEM

• support drilling in the US

And that is how it could be done my children friends.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I prefer another large-scale conspiracy... if only everybody would come together and do it (yeah, right!).  That is... SELL ALL OF YOUR EXXON MOBILE COMMON STOCK, AND ANY MUTUAL FUND POSITION CONTAINING XOM.  If EVERYBODY did this, their stock would go down the drain, along with their market capitalization, their debt rating, and they could potentially go belly-up fairly quickly.

Otherwise... I just wish the auto manufacturers would start putting out alcohol-powered cars.  Methanol is renewable.  Methanol doesn't need to come from elsewhere in the world, it could all be produced right here in the USA.  Methanol burns much more cleanly than gasoline.  I also like ethanol as a fuel.  But what do I know?  Not much about it, really, I just like the idea and think with enough R&D it could be made to work.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#33]
hey will just get the money the next day or whenever we people need to fill up agien.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#34]
double post
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Stopping the use of plastics will cost something.  If an item is not made out of plastic, then it has to be made out of something.

Buying a new car cost something also.

As a matter oif fact, lots of plastic goes into a new car.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

you are aware that vehicles account for less than 1% of oil consumption in this country right?  The VAST majority of oil consuption is from heating oil, and power plants.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#37]
1. Build some new refineries (we may have to shoot a few tree huggers)
2. Start drilling in Alaska (we WILL have to shoot some more tree huggers)
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#38]
One simple act of Congress would drop the price of oil back to the mid 30's. Require the speculators, hedge funds, and those buying futures contracts to take actual possession of the oil and keep it for 30 days. A recent study said that's how much they were adding to the price of oil.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

That may work in a perfect world...but this ain't it. First off, petroleum is a finite resource. Ain't no more dinosaurs about.

Secondly, it's a WORLD market. If we don't buy it somebody else will. Think China. The numbers for decresing our demand via driving crackerbox cars don't wash. The small savings garnered by saving 10 miles per gallon isn't that much in the global scheme of things.

It's a 'pretty' world you live in....just not a realistic one.

Building some new refineries, resuming domestic exploration and production, and suspending the assinine EPA seasonal blend program, might just do the trick. As it is, what few refineries we have in this country must refine so many regional and seasonal blends per EPA regulations, the cost is twice what it would be if those regulations were suspended. You want to place blame for the current high gasoline prices in this country......just find the nearest environmentalist.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I live in Ohio and boat on Lake Erie. My charts of Lake Erie show dozens (hundreds maybe) of wells drilled in the lake. The news the other day a bunch of fucking tree hugging idiots were crowing about how a temporary ban on drilling under the lake was made permanent. The ban is on the US side. The wells? They are in Ontario!

These wells weren't even going to be drilled in the lake proper. The rigs were to be set up 400 yards inland or so and drilled at an angle into the PROVEN gas and oil bearing formations under the lake bed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Would it work? NO (because supply and demand curves resuming their normal positions once the prices go down would drive them right back up again)
Could it be done? NO(t unless everyone, and I mean everyone, stops buying gas)

Fact: what we need is an alternate means of energy, or an alternate source. Drilling more wouldn't help much. Going from coal power to nuke power and converting that coal to oil [possible, more expensive than drilling obviously] would help. Massively expanding out nuclear power facilities, and electric cars charged on the fly via microwave power transmission would solve our problems indefinitely, considering the quantities of fissable material in this universe.
Actually, the two solutions outlined above (interm fix, and ultimate fix), would lower gas prices dramatically, by significantly lowering demand on drilled fossil fuel -- not that it would matter for the US anymore.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Why on earth do some of ya' insist on driving something that gets less gas mileage then other options that you have when you don't have too?  Is it some kind of status symbol to have to fill up one of these beasts twice as much as people driving sensable cars and trucks?   If you've got to haul loads or tow a boat or something then fine, get a V8 but if all you're going to do is drive your ugly butt to work then why in hell do you need one when a 4 or 6 will get ya' there just as well and cost you less to drive?     I love my 3.7L, V6.  With the 5 spd manual and the 3.55 limited slip it's balls quick and I still get 17mpg in the city.  If it'd have went with the 4.7L, V8 or the Hemi I'd have cut a thrid off of my mileage and for what, so I can brag that I've got a "Hemi", bullshit, I'd rather have the extra money in my pocket.   Every dollar that you spend on gas makes the Oil Companies and the Arabs that much richer, why give em' a cent more then you need to?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buying a new car cost something also.

As a matter oif fact, lots of plastic goes into a new car.

Sgat1r5

Your point?

The use of oil for production purposes in plastics is miniscule vs. use of oil for vehicles.

Since your not found of plastics, you need to get rid of your keyboard: more than likely ABS or Styrene; say good bye electonics like your TV or Monitor, which is housed by a plastic covering and frame; no more cell phone, prescription bottles, etc.

What you're calling for is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you are aware that vehicles account for less than 1% of oil consumption in this country right?  The VAST majority of oil consuption is from heating oil, and power plants.

I call bullshit.  According to this site about 20 gallons of a 42 gallon barrel of oil go to make gasoline, only 10 gallons go to make up diesel fuel and heating oil so how can you say that only "1%" is used by vehicles?
www.eia.doe.gov/kids/energyfacts/sources/non-renewable/oil.html
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#45]
WTF is it with ExxonMobil. I guess since they are the biggest, everybody picks on them. What about all the others? You are still buying ExxonMobil when you purchase gas at other gas stations. These days the tanker truckers fill up at the closest refinery and truck it to the stations.
The problem is supply and demand. We are now on the receiving end of years of enviromental controls, governmental regulatory oversight, and the NIMBY (not in my back yard) anti-drilling attitudes. It is a very complex problem that a stupid boycott will have no effect on.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#46]
bump for the evening crew
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Here

www.flashextension.net/peakoil/3.082605B1L_sm.jpg

There was an article in some Wisconsin paper this week that compared the monthly cost of a horse to that of a car.  The horse came out ahead somthing like $165 to the cars $230.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Prices are about to drop late next month when people start filling their home heating oil tank.

If the President sells the Heating oil to England as he did a few years ago, it will lower that price since this will open up the refineries storage tanks.

The crude oil price hikes are caused not by the oil companies but by the day traders playing on peoples fears.. Some buy short while others buy long knowing that people are fools.. The last ones buying in next month will be the real losers.

Right now these fears are being driven by the left. Its all part of the plan to screw the republicans. Unfortunenately the republicansare afraid to make waves and force the issues concerning the lack of refineries. If they had any balls they would screw the left and build the refineries and drill wells even in Washington DC and even at every state house across the land.

Oil is everywhere in this country, but the biggest bitch is what it naturally has mixed in. These items can be removed, but its just an excused not to drill.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#49]
You are blaming the oil companies?  

The state and federal governments could drop the price of gas right now by lowering or eliminating the obcenely high tax on gas.  They make far more per gallon of gas the the oil companies.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
You are blaming the oil companies?  

The state and federal governments could drop the price of gas right now by lowering or eliminating the obcenely high tax on gas.  They make far more per gallon of gas the the oil companies.

That too!
Hadn't thought about the taxes that cost way over a dollar a gallon!!  SHIT!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top