Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 10:19:40 AM EDT
Is this thing good or what?  We have a lot of home improvement projects going on and this thing is starting to look good for a couple of jobs.

link

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one and returned it the same day. Buy the Craftsman version instead.

I was cutting into plaster with it and the dust (even on low) clogged the crap out of the switch and the button for locking the spindle - it got stuck in the locked position and thus, useless.

The Craftsman version has better switch and spindle lock button placement. I've had it almost a year now (BTW if you're a Craftsman Club member and go during a Club sale, you can get a very nice kit for less than the Bosch RotoZip by itself) and love it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
get a dremel.  it can probably do everything that the rotozip can do and probably more.  i love my dremel.  one of the best tools i own.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I got the SEARS knock off to open holes in drywall for can lights.  It came with a great compass and made perfect circular holes.

The bad news is that if you took a 5lb bag of talc and tossed it into a running fan, you'd have some idea how much dust the thing kicks out.

I ended up doing the last few holes with a wall knife.

Haven't used it for anything else, but it came with a ton of attachments.    
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
get a dremel.  it can probably do everything that the rotozip can do and probably more.  i love my dremel.  one of the best tools i own.

Dremels are nice - I have one - but for more serious hogging you'll want something with a little more power. Just MHO, but cutting plaster, drywall, paneling, tile and marble, I'd rather have the durability of the Rotozip style cutters.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I have a Dremel and I really like it but I think I am getting into some stuff that is outside the Dremels optimal range of uses.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I got the SEARS knock off to open holes in drywall for can lights.  It came with a great compass and made perfect circular holes.

The bad news is that if you took a 5lb bag of talc and tossed it into a running fan, you'd have some idea how much dust the thing kicks out.

Did you use the low speed setting? On "High" the dust is horrible... Flip it to "low" and it's much more manageable. And naturally, you'll still have to wear a mask.

Of course if you're cutting the ceiling you're getting it right in the face no matter what...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I was cutting into plaster with it and the dust (even on low) clogged the crap out of the switch and the button for locking the spindle - it got stuck in the locked position and thus, useless.

The Craftsman version has better switch and spindle lock button placement. I've had it almost a year now (BTW if you're a Craftsman Club member and go during a Club sale, you can get a very nice kit for less than the Bosch RotoZip by itself) and love it.

Like this?

link

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Dewalt and it's great for cutting out plumbing, and electrical knockouts. The little bugger can run away with you if you're not careful. Spins at a very high speed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The Bosch version has a vacuum attachment (which I  really like on my orbital sander and my miter saw) but I don't know if the craftsman does.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've got a Dewalt and it's great for cutting out plumbing, and electrical knockouts. The little bugger can run away with you if you're not careful. Spins at a very high speed.

Ah good call. I had an incident that could have been very bad with mine.

I was freehanding a relief cut on some trim and the cutter chattered and walked up my thumb. I was VERY fortunate, but I gouged a nifty hole in my thumbnail (which healed) and got a few cuts near to the bone on my thumb as a result.

Always gotta be careful... it could have been MUCH worse.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah good call. I had an incident that could have been very bad with mine.

I was freehanding a relief cut on some trim and the cutter chattered and walked up my thumb. I was VERY fortunate, but I gouged a nifty hole in my thumbnail (which healed) and got a few cuts near to the bone on my thumb as a result.

Always gotta be careful... it could have been MUCH worse.

I always imagined a lighsaber being a little like a Dremel at maxed out speed.  Kind of a life of its own...
I bet this thing is similar but worse.  Probably much more like a real lightsaber.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like this?

link

s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00926561000?layer=comp&wid=190&hei=190&fmt=jpeg&qlt=75,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=norm&op_usm=0.5,1.0,0.0,0

Hmmm, similar. Mine is in a big plastic case and came with the grip, flex shaft, bits, cutting guide, but also a plunge router base, circle cutter and a cutoff wheel attachment. They've changed the tool's case design too, mine's black. Gray technically, the nice sticky grip stuff means the dust has a nice attachment to the case.  

I think I got mine for like $99 or so on super sale (and Craftsman tool club discount) last year in September at a Sears Tool Store by where I work. Which was cheaper than just the Rotozip by itself.

I love the tool, it's really come in handy with my renovations.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like this?

link

s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00926561000?layer=comp&wid=190&hei=190&fmt=jpeg&qlt=75,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=norm&op_usm=0.5,1.0,0.0,0

Hmmm, similar. Mine is in a big plastic case and came with the grip, flex shaft, bits, cutting guide, but also a plunge router base, circle cutter and a cutoff wheel attachment. They've changed the tool's case design too, mine's black. Gray technically, the nice sticky grip stuff means the dust has a nice attachment to the case.  

I think I got mine for like $99 or so on super sale (and Craftsman tool club discount) last year in September at a Sears Tool Store by where I work. Which was cheaper than just the Rotozip by itself.

I love the tool, it's really come in handy with my renovations.

Thanks for the 411.  I'm going to run it through committee for discretionary funding approval and go look at them tonight.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Dremel is a little short on power to do what the Rotozip can do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks for the 411.  I'm going to run it through committee for discretionary funding approval and go look at them tonight.

LOL

Tell the committee that some random Internet guy said it's worth every penny.  

(which it really is   )

BTW get the bits up front too for whatever you think you'll be getting in to... I hate not having what I need when I want to get into a project!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the Bosch and can confirm the  collet lock can get dust jammed.  The switch never was a problem and I liked the design.  The collet lock can be opened by UNPLUGGING   and wiggling the bit with your fingers a little bit.  I like the way the side cutter attaches.

They eat bits easily on drywall and plaster if you press too hard.  Friction heats up real fast and burns them right through.  Far more powerful and far higher RPMs than a Dremel.

For what I needed the better price over the Craftsman was worth it.

THIS MAYBE THE SECOND OR THIRD MOST DANGEROUS TOOL I HAVE.   The other two being the radial arm saw, and the router in a router table.  #4 the table saw.

If you aren't careful the bit can get pulled out if not fully tightened and if you aren't fully in control and it rides out of the cut, you better have both hands on it because you don't want it finding your hand or any other part of your body.

I'm not familiar with the Craftsman, but IF I was designing either  I'ld build in a deadman on the handle.

They really generate a lot of dust, dust masks, ear  and eye protection are a must.

Don't try to cut too fast and they are great tools, try to cut too fast and watch the hell out.

If you are cutting wood only stay with dremels and saber saws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top