Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 10:12:58 AM EDT
I'm guessing it would be half your weight since your feet are on the ground, but the weight increases when you elevate your feet.  Is there a way to know how much your pushing?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#1]
stand on your hands, then do a push up, then you are pushing your entire body weight
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]
put your hands on a scale
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a bathroom scale, put both hands on it and assume the leaning rest.

Congratulations. If you can read the numbers before passing out of exhaustion, you now know how much you are pushing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
stand on your hands, then do a push up, then you are pushing your entire body weight

doing that works your shoulders, not your chest so its different

but i see the smiley face so maybe you're joking
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get a bathroom scale, put both hands on it and assume the leaning rest.

Congratulations. If you can read the numbers before passing out of exhaustion, you now know how much you are pushing.

this is the correct answer.

the weight should be a little more when you are down rather than up.  but not much.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#7]
It depends on how you do the pushup. Technically all of them push the same weight, but the position of the hands and the like make the exercise more difficult. (Wide armed pushups can be killers....so can close in pushups....)

The pushup done the standard way works everything from the chest and shoulders, abs, obliques, quads and calfs. Holding steady and keeping your balance works lots of often missed muscles. Ditto the pullup, though it isn't as beneficial.

Someone who can do 10 pushups is in better shape than most people.

The more you weigh, the better the pushup exercise is in terms of yeild.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Is this one of those "How many licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop" questions?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That's one of the saddest things I've ever read.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The average person on the street can't do 10 pushups.

If you have enough strength and stamina to do 10 pushups, you are doing better than most.

That goes double for everyone that is over 20lbs overweight.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Little Rock PD requires 18 as part of their physical fitness test.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#12]
87 lbs!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#13]
If you could determine your center of mass while you are in the push up position, then yes.  I suppose you could do this by assuming the position, then balancing yourself on the edge of a board.  If you can find your c.o.m., then measure from there to your feet, where they touch the ground.  So, let's see if I can give you an equation:

pushup force = ((your weight) * (distance from com to toes))/(distance from shoulders to toes)

or

F = (F1 * D1)/D2

Yup, that's it.  Have fun.

ETA: All distance measurements should be parallel to the ground.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is this one of those "How many licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop" questions?

One............ Two ............ *crunch* Threeeeeee ...... Three licks
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It depends on how you do the pushup. Technically all of them push the same weight, but the position of the hands and the like make the exercise more difficult. (Wide armed pushups can be killers....so can close in pushups....)

The pushup done the standard way works everything from the chest and shoulders, abs, obliques, quads and calfs. Holding steady and keeping your balance works lots of often missed muscles. Ditto the pullup, though it isn't as beneficial.

The more you weigh, the better the pushup exercise is in terms of yeild.

Thanks J_W!
This old guy needed that.  Heck, I feel like a Spring Chicken again!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Little Rock PD requires 18 as part of their physical fitness test.....

Holy Cow!!! When I was at my worst, I could do 40 in a minute.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have enough strength and stamina to do 10 pushups, you are doing better than most.

You have to be kidding me. I'm at least 30 pounds too fat and I can do 40. I thought I was sort of a weak puke, myself.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If you could determine your center of mass while you are in the push up position, then yes.  I suppose you could do this by assuming the position, then balancing yourself on the edge of a board.  If you can find your c.o.m., then measure from there to your feet, where they touch the ground.  So, let's see if I can give you an equation:

pushup force = ((your weight) * (distance from com to toes))/(distance from shoulders to toes)

or

F = (F1 * D1)/D2

Yup, that's it.  Have fun.

ETA: All distance measurements should be parallel to the ground.

To clarify, center mass for most of the folks here would be the part of your belly that touches the
floor while assuming the push up position.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have to be kidding me. I'm at least 30 pounds too fat and I can do 40. I thought I was sort of a weak puke, myself.

Go on the street and offer to pay 20 dollars to every passing adult who can do 10 pushups.

I guarantee you won't loose more than 100 bucks in an 8 hour day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#20]
When i do the motion it goes to 140lb but at rest it's 120lb.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#21]
if you are doing pushups like a man, then you are using the tips of your toes or bent shoes as the fulcrum point. your body is the lever.  the mass is also moving slightly to the "other side" of the fulcrum.  theoretically, at rest in the pushup position, your heels are above your toes. when you start to push up, you will be moving your heels on the other side of the fulcrum, opposite your main mass.  \

your center of mass will also change in distance from your fulcrum.  

plus a whole bunch of other things...

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Minus the weight of your hands
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top