Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#1]

No, we are not Mennonite or Amish and never have been.

May have something to do with it.

Plus, it looks like a joke website anyway. The last pic makes me think it's fake.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Read their website, they are not Amish!  They sadi son in your second link
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:37:52 AM EDT
[#3]
maybe they are targeting the amish wannabes................there are plenty of military wannabes, buying camo clothes, gear etc... so why not for the folks who want to dress up like  amish

it just looks too involved to be a joke site
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Maybe an inbreeders dating site.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#5]
My mom's a librarian in the Amish country of Maryland, she says they come into her library all the time to use the computers.  Mainly to look up info on the internet for new farm equipment, write invoices, etc. They're prohibited from having such devices in their home, but they'll still use them.  For example, they'll have a telephone, but it will be mounted on a pole about 100 yards from the house.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#6]
A lot of people buy from the amish and then market the products. I buy a lot of amish canned goods off the net. Good jams and jellies
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Man someone does not know how to buy a domain name either.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My mom's a librarian in the Amish country of Maryland, she says they come into her library all the time to use the computers.  Mainly to look up info on the internet for new farm equipment, write invoices, etc. They're prohibited from having such devices in their home, but they'll still use them.  For example, they'll have a telephone, but it will be mounted on a pole about 100 yards from the house.

Kharn

there are a lot of amish here in ohio.........they have jobs working cash registers, using power tools in the furniture factories, computers and other modern  devices that relate to work ..... from my understanding they are pemitted to do these thing if they have jobs in the  "english" world, or get permission from the "elders"  but are not permitted to own them. they had a eposide on MODERN MARVEL about the world of rubber, and in the background they showed a amish guy working the computer in a tire factory. so the idea that amish can't ever use any modern technology is hogwash.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Plus, there are different sects of Amish, some more strict than others.

I grew up in Lancaster County, PA (Remember the movie Witness?)....now there always was a big difference between Mennonite and Amish. The Amish would never own an automobile, always hores and buggy...but the Mennonite would own autos, with the thing being they were painted COMPLETELY black, I mean bumbers, wheels, everything, since they considered the chrome an affront to God and their austere ways....

As the newer generations come of age, they lose their strictness a lot of times too...when I was a kid there(late 70's, early 80's) most Amish still had no electricity hook ups to their house, they plowed with horse teams, etc. It was an interesting, peaceful, and pastoral place to grow up....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I grew up in Berks County just a couple miles from the Lancaster county border and we had farms in my area that were Amish as well as many Mennonite neighbors as well....  Then, I did live in Amish Country proper for several years....

When the Amish youth have not jined the church yet they do a great many things that we might not expect amish to do...  They have hot rod cars, fast motercycles, and dress like typical punk kids...  They can also be very clickish and have lots of fights.....

But, after they grow out of that stage they often fall into the relm of what the church tells them to do.  It is a very complicated society and yea some of these kids are very wise to the ways of the world.  Perhaps not as bad as kids that do to the Public Schools but then again I half wish my kids didn't need to go to Public Schools either!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#11]
An Amish boy and his father were visiting a nearby mall. They were amazed by almost everything they saw, but especially by two shiny silver walls that moved apart and back together again by themselves.
The lad asked, "What is this, father?"

The father (having never seen an elevator) responded, "I have no idea what it is."

While the boy and his father were watching wide-eyed, an old lady in a wheelchair rolled up to the moving walls and pressed a button. The walls opened and the lady rolled between them into a small room. The walls closed and the boy and his father watched as small circles lit up above the walls.

The walls opened up again and a beautiful twenty-four-year-old woman stepped out.

The father looked at his son anxiously and said, "Go get your mother."
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#12]
You have just received the Amish virus.

As we don't have any technology or programming experience, this virus works on the honor system.

Please delete all the files from your hard drive and manually forward this virus to everyone on your mailing list.

Thank you for your cooperation.

--Amish Computer Engineering Dept
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You have just received the Amish virus.

As we don't have any technology or programming experience, this virus works on the honor system.

Please delete all the files from your hard drive and manually forward this virus to everyone on your mailing list.

Thank you for your cooperation.

--Amish Computer Engineering Dept

I like that one...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
<snip>
When the Amish youth have not jined the church yet they do a great many things that we might not expect amish to do...  They have hot rod cars, fast motercycles, and dress like typical punk kids...  They can also be very clickish and have lots of fights.....

<snip>

It's known as Rumspringa.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I grew up in Berks County just a couple miles from the Lancaster county border and we had farms in my area that were Amish as well as many Mennonite neighbors as well....  Then, I did live in Amish Country proper for several years....

But, after they grow out of that stage they often fall into the relm of what the church tells them to do.  It is a very complicated society and yea some of these kids are very wise to the ways of the world.  Perhaps not as bad as kids that do to the Public Schools but then again I half wish my kids didn't need to go to Public Schools either!

Interesting, how old are you? Just wondering, because I know when I lived there (approx from '75 to '84) I never saw Amish kids with hot rods, motorcycles or that dressed like punk kids...although things were changing faster when i left.

Hell, I remember we had an Amish cleaning girl, who was the daughter of an Amish family my mom knew well. Their farm was typical...no electric, no phone, wood fired stove in the kitchen, etc.

Jane was 16-17, when I was 12 or 13....she'd come over and clean, whatever, in her typical plain, shapeless Amish dress, her hair pulled back in a tight bun, har net thingee, sensible shoes. She looked like all the other yonee chicks I knew, plain jane (pardon the pun).

Well, we went to Brigantine, NJ to the shore every summer for two weeks. We had known Jane for 4 years, my mom was friends with her mom. Jane had never seen the ocean, and my mom wanted to invite her to come along. After much discussion with her parents, permission was given, my mom promised to look after her like she was her own of course.

Well, we are getting ready to leave...Jane comes over asks my mom if she would mind if she changed into "regular" clothes...Mom says sure, go ahead.

She comes out in the tight jeans, gorgeous hair down to her ass, a nice shirt showing off her HUGE rack...oh my god, this chick was smoking! You should have seen her in her bathing suit, it was a one piece to be sure...but lets say this girl was the main fantasy material for this 13 year old for some time to come! She was quite a hit on the beach too, and my mom spent two weeks chasing away the Jersey shore beach bums.....

Jesus, this girl was fine. Of course now she propbably looks like a typical 40 year old Amish woman with 8 kids, baking Shoo Fly Pie in her plain jane dress and sensible shoes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I am 35 now and when I was a teen there were qute a few Amish kids that had a faster and better car then I had....

Many of my comments however have to do with the kids these days as there have been more fights and trouble with Amish kids in the past few years then years ago....  now, I also base some of that on what I am hearing from Upsate New York (Finger Lakes region) were I have family and some of my Teen cousins have Amish they get to hang around....

Then again, my own Teen cousins find their own trouble too so it's all relative I guess...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I am 35 now and when I was a teen there were qute a few Amish kids that had a faster and better car then I had....

Many of my comments however have to do with the kids these days as there have been more fights and trouble with Amish kids in the past few years then years ago....  now, I also base some of that on what I am hearing from Upsate New York (Finger Lakes region) were I have family and some of my Teen cousins have Amish they get to hang around....

Then again, my own Teen cousins find their own trouble too so it's all relative I guess...

Shit, we practically grew up together....where did you live? I lived right near Denver and Adamstown (right on the Berks county border). Of course I moved out when I was in 9th grade, so my vehicle was my ten speed bike

I honestly don't remember ANY Amish kids with cars! But, like I said, I am a year older than you, and I did leave before kids I knew had real wheels...

I don't know if you ever went, but since I lived within walking distance, I hung out a lot at Zinn's, the diner on 222 with the big statue of a Amish farmer with pitch fork in front of it, with the big park, arcade, mini golf, etc. Sadly, when I went back on some business last year, Zinn's was gone, and the fields I used to walk out my back door and pheasant hunt with my dad before school are all nieghborhoods now....guess you can't go home again....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Waldo: Maybe an inbreeders dating site.

You beat me to it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I actually grew up in Western Berks near Womelsdorf...  But yea, I am quite familiar with your area and I didn't know Zinns is gone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top