Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2001 11:33:26 AM EDT
Think about it. As others stated in another post, Somali clansmen and bears can still kill you after being hit with 5.56mm rounds.

If you were along with the scientists, wouldn't you want a .308? Say an FAL or HK91?

Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually, I'd want something a bit bigger. Tromix 440 Corbon at least. Was going to suggest 300 Weatherby but after I shot the first raptor, the other 4 would be on me before I could chamber another round.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#2]
no bolt action or semi's. You are gonna need full auto, belt fed power to stop raptors(if they existed). Maybe an M60 w/1000rds...
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Lessee, 6' tall lizards, with (supposedly) thick, heavy skin and good bone structure, that according to the scientists move rapidly, hunt in packs, and were/are intelligent.  Hmmmm....

I don't think I'd want to be on the ground with those things no matter what man-portable weapon I had.  One of them things gets within 30' of you in dense foliage and its all over, even if you were prepared to take out that one with full-auto fire the one behind you would surely get you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
no bolt action or semi's. You are gonna need full auto, belt fed power to stop raptors(if they existed). Maybe an M60 w/1000rds...
View Quote

Yeh, that would work, but so would a 40mm grenade.

I'd wait for the Marines myself. Massed M16's and SAWS.

For that matter most MEU's, at least since Somalia, have brought a plt of M1's with them.

OH WOW, that would have been a scene!! Spineasaurous vs M1A1HC! The kids would have loved it!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
An Apache attack helicopter would do nicely.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Double Barrel .600 Nitro Express.  And one for backup.  
For fun reading on the subject, check out L. Sprague DeCamp's "A Gun for Dinosaur".  Awesome short story.  Pretty funny too.  It predates Jurashit Park by, oh, 30 or so years.  It's anthologized in a few books, The best of LSDC, Grandmaster's Choice.  Probably a few others that I'm not familiar with as well.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lessee, 6' tall lizards, with (supposedly) thick, heavy skin and good bone structure, that according to the scientists move rapidly, hunt in packs, and were/are intelligent.  Hmmmm....

I don't think I'd want to be on the ground with those things no matter what man-portable weapon I had.  One of them things gets within 30' of you in dense foliage and its all over, even if you were prepared to take out that one with full-auto fire the one behind you would surely get you.
View Quote

Not if you were in a 12man squad armed with AT4's[:)]

Actually as one guy posted on the other thread, "Nuke e'm from orbit. Only way to be sure."

Or in this case B52's with napalm would do nicely.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Actually, I'd want something a bit bigger. Tromix 440 Corbon at least. Was going to suggest 300 Weatherby but after I shot the first raptor, the other 4 would be on me before I could chamber another round.
View Quote

458 SOCOM for me, full auto...
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Double Barrel .600 Nitro Express.  And one for backup.  
For fun reading on the subject, check out L. Sprague DeCamp's "A Gun for Dinosaur".  Awesome short story.  Pretty funny too.  It predates Jurashit Park by, oh, 30 or so years.  It's anthologized in a few books, The best of LSDC, Grandmaster's Choice.  Probably a few others that I'm not familiar with as well.  
View Quote

Shit, Chrichton has practically admited ripping off DeCamp when he wrote Jurassic Park- along with his own Westworld.

Chrichton hasnt had a original idea in 30 years.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DVD Tracker:
A Ma Deuce would be quite handy.
View Quote

I agree................but twin mounted Ma Deuces.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#12]
IT`S ONLY A MOVIE...click....IT`S ONLY A MOVIE...click....IT`S ONLY A MOVIE...click....IT`S ONLY A MOVIE...click....[whacko]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#13]
WAKE UP EVERYONE!!!
no-matter what you carry,you probably won't last more then 48 hours.
In Jurassic Park 3,there's a guy with a .50 cal rifle,and he blasts an entire magazine at the Spinosaurus.He was using HEAP rounds too.The dinosaur killed him,while his "team mates" ran off to the plane.
I am also guessing most of the people on this forum are over-wieght,and get tired walking to their cars in the mall parking lot in the summer.Get real!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Nomad

You don't have to be faster than the raports you just have to be faster than most of the people in your group.  

I agree with those that suggested a .50 ma duce or twin .50s but how about quad .50s or a Mark-19.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#15]
ArmdLBRL....
He he. Yep, that was humorous to see Crichton's interpretation.  
Oh, and the .50 cals folks like so much are used in the referenced story, y'all may just have to take a trip to the library to enjoy it though.  It is worth the trip, I promise...
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I would want a Mini-Gun.Lots of Ammo.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#17]
At least one in the group should have a flamethrower ... BBQ Raptor steak mmm  mmmm  mmm

dP
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#18]
EVERYONE OF YOU ARE ALL WRONG!

Again, you all want to solve the problem with guns and violence. This is obviously a job for Koffi Anon and UN negotiators. I mean shouldn't we at least try and send in Jesse Jackson to reason with the dinosaurs FIRST? I'm sure Bill Clinton could moderate some kind of agreement.

Give peace a chance.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
EVERYONE OF YOU ARE ALL WRONG!

Again, you all want to solve the problem with guns and violence. This is obviously a job for Koffi Anon and UN negotiators. I mean shouldn't we at least try and send in Jesse Jackson to reason with the dinosaurs FIRST? I'm sure Bill Clinton could moderate some kind of agreement.

Give peace a chance.
View Quote

Oh man I would love to give Kofi and the rest of the UN a free ride to Jurassic Park, then turn the power off [:)]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Oh man I would love to give Kofi and the rest of the UN a free ride to Jurassic Park, then turn the power off [:)]
View Quote

No No. Leave the power on. These things have a way of working themselves out. Besides Jesse should see what's coming for him. Give peace a chance. Keep hope alive. I don't care if we have to send EVERY SINGLE DEMOCRATIC POLITICIAN in order to reach a peaceful resolution.

If that don't work, start sending PETA people.

Do it for the children.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#21]
If we sent some tree huggers they'd turn the power off themselves. Musn't harm the environment!

Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Wake up yourself Nomad. People are talking about shooting Dinosaurs and the part you have trouble with is that it's improbable because we're all overweight and out of shape, or picked a poor choice of a weapon?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#23]
What a bunch of girly men!!!!   I'd personaly use my bow or maybe a spear.  Gee,  what do you think the cave men used???
BTW is the movie any good???   The first JP rocked and the second one sucked.  Is Laura Dern naked???  If she is I'd go and see it even if it sucked
Thanks
Big John Stacey
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't know,Don't care.I'll let you younger folks run around in the jungle trying out your various calibers,while I'm staying in front of the computer drinking beer. [:D] mmk
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#25]
ill take some Sarin that would work
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#26]
MP5,trust me.I might die but I'd die with a big smile.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Amigo, if you're going for the big smile go with gusto.
Browning BAR and about 20 loaded mags.  Or the XM134 from predator.  Not some wimpy 9mm crap.  The Quad 50's would be a blast, but difficult to cart around the jungle and maneuver onto multiple targets.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm sorry,but I'm blinded by love.I got to shoot one today.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#29]
NAH.......I like the old one, where the lizard eats the guy on the shitter.........."first things first, i`ve got a turtle head pokin` out".......(fat bastard)........[smoke]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Pansies.  I'd use one of these. [;)]

[img]http://www.sogknives.com/images/SOGimages/ToolClip.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd open a can of Kel-Tech Whoop-ass !
[:)]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/003/20/Pr/Db/zc40672.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm impressed.  Apparently everyone knew that raptor meant a lizard that went extinct millions of years ago and that it did not refer to contemporary birds of prey.  I guess I'm a little bit slow.  I had to read several posts to figure it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top