Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 4:10:27 AM EDT
Gangsta' politics comes to Durham

Wagstaff, or J-Dub, has a Hip-Hop Agenda.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/2755978p-9193558c.html

By MICHAEL BIESECKER, Staff Writer

DURHAM, NC -- Durham mayoral candidate Jackie Wagstaff donned bright orange Chuck Taylor shoes and large gold earrings Thursday to announce her Hip-Hop Agenda for City Hall.

Wagstaff said she would use "gangsta" culture and rap music to appeal to disaffected youth, luring them away from crime with the offer of free studio time to record songs. T-shirt giveaways would serve as another enticement.

If elected, she would hold monthly meetings with her Hip-Hop Cabinet, streetwise teens with insights on how to improve the Bull City.

"You can always take something bad and find something positive," said Wagstaff, 46, who recently adopted the nickname J-Dub. "Gangsta to me is an organizational structure -- not organized crime, but organized good."

The term "gangsta" does not always bring to mind positive connotations. It has been used by rappers in songs glorifying gunplay, drug use and the subjugation of women. But the word also has evolved to describe urban attire, a style of music and other things that have nothing to do with gangs. It can even serve as a generic compliment or put-down, depending on the context.

Wagstaff said she will use her contacts, including active gang members, to help register 5,000 voters ages 18 to 21 to support her in the Oct. 11 city primary. She seemed unconcerned that the deadline for registering new voters is two weeks away.

"We're going to beat the streets to get voters," she said. "We're going to go into the public housing communities. I'm not scared to go anywhere."

Wagstaff called media outlets to the sidewalk in front of the Durham Public Schools downtown administration building to outline her campaign platform. She was flanked by a handful of supporters dubbed the "J-Unit." Several held signs critical of school Superintendent Ann Denlinger. Another equated the Durham schools to the county jail.

Wagstaff, a former City Council member who has served the past three years on the school board, often has been criticized as a divisive figure in the city's racially charged politics.

She survived a 2002 effort to remove her from office after pleading guilty to two misdemeanor counts for doctoring check requests from the nonprofit North East Central Durham Reinvestment Inc., a city-financed social services organization she ran. She also has been evicted several times for nonpayment of rent.

Her campaign openly refers to her "run-ins with the law" and embraces the tag that she is "too gangsta for government." She bills herself as the only candidate with the street credibility to solve the city's problems with gang violence and school dropouts.

"I'm not saying I'm a gangsta candidate, but that's what these kids relate to," Wagstaff said. "I don't condone doing wrong; I want to make that clear. ... But I understand why they're out there on the street, making their way any way they can."

Wagstaff is challenging Mayor Bill Bell, who won in 2003 with more than 85 percent of the vote. Candidates Jonathan Alston and Vincent Brown also are in the primary. The top two finishers will face off on the November ballot.

Wagstaff has painted Bell as ignoring the plight of the city's poor neighborhoods while spending tax money to assist millionaires with such downtown projects as the American Tobacco complex.

When told of Wagstaff's comments Thursday, Bell rattled off several city initiatives aimed at serving inner-city youths and promoting their participation in government. He pointed out that Wagstaff's son, now a college student, spent two summers working in the mayor's job program.

"I don't have a monopoly on trying to solve the city's gang problem," Bell said. "I'm open to new ideas and people trying different things. If Jackie is successful with this approach, then more power to her."

Wagstaff said the existing city programs aren't working for many teens who most need the help. She said she sees the potential in all children, even those now living a life of crime.

"If they're out there selling drugs, then they already have some business skills," Wagstaff said. "They understand budgets. They understand profit margins. We need to help them turn these business skills to the positive."

-------------------

Vote for me Homey!  It'd be good for the 'hood!  You feelin' me? A free Fo-tee in every crib!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:14:29 AM EDT
[#1]
<racist comment removed>
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey it worked for Marion Barry.  What a POS
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:27:41 AM EDT
[#3]
"Not organized crime, but organized 'good...'

Maybe someone could hook her up with English classes, yo.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:30:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Werd -you go sista grrl.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Cut outa da same bling dat D-troit's own Hommie Kilpatrick
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:56:27 AM EDT
[#6]
They just think they are "gangsters"
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

"If they're out there selling drugs, then they already have some business skills," Wagstaff said. "They understand budgets. They understand profit margins. We need to help them turn these business skills to the positive."

Drug dealing... educating our youth of tomorrow.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:06:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw this post and assumed it would be about Kwame Kilpatrick.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:08:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"They understand budgets"? I think she may be a user herself. Who has to worry about budgets when you can eliminate your competiton to improve your profit margin? And I mean really eliminate your competition.

Hard not to be embarrassed about this woman even having a chance to become a mayor.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:15:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Need someone like Jesse Helms to run against her.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:21:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"They understand budgets"? I think she may be a user herself. Who has to worry about budgets when you can eliminate your competiton to improve your profit margin? And I mean really eliminate your competition.

Hard not to be embarrassed about this woman even having a chance to become a mayor.

She's good at budgets too, mostly in skimming from them and reducing living expenses:

"She survived a 2002 effort to remove her from office after pleading guilty to two misdemeanor counts for doctoring check requests from the nonprofit North East Central Durham Reinvestment Inc., a city-financed social services organization she ran. She also has been evicted several times for nonpayment of rent."
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Someone send her the link to the Glock "Homeboy Night Sites."  Maybe some of those "children" could open up a distributorship!

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:00:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I saw this post and assumed it would be about Kwame Kilpatrick.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:01:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank God you posted a picture , I thought Pattys sister had gone nuts .
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:07:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's good at budgets too, mostly in skimming from them and reducing living expenses:

"She survived a 2002 effort to remove her from office after pleading guilty to two misdemeanor counts for doctoring check requests from the nonprofit North East Central Durham Reinvestment Inc., a city-financed social services organization she ran. She also has been evicted several times for nonpayment of rent."

Criminal Districts need Peeps to represent too . You guys seem kinda narrow minded on this . If she "surrvied" a recall .....birds of a feather .

Edited to add "she can't even run her own life I'll be damned if she'll run mine ".
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:20:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:22:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Wagstaff said she would use "gangsta" culture and rap music to appeal to disaffected youth, luring them away from crime with the offer of free studio time to record songs. T-shirt giveaways would serve as another enticement.

It is embarrassing to see public officials, or any other adult, trying to "appeal to disaffected youth", by adopting their manner of dress and speech.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#19]
You know, I've been contemplating moving to NC next year.   But between John Edwards, some strange Class III laws, and now this, I'm beginning to wonder just what the fu** is going on down there.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#20]
gotta qwerstyun -

hunert thowsan, iz dat uh miyun o haff uh miyun? howz dat werk?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I am rarely amazed at the stupid things California politicians do - rarely - but this woman manages to freak to the top of the pile.

Am I missing something?  I thought this was in Durham, North Carolina?

Anyway...  If she wins I say we just nuke from orbit...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#22]

My God.  This is for real!?!?  After reading the first few lines I thought it was a spoof from www.theonion.com.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd be banned
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#25]
JFC...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Possibly the stupidest bitch ever.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Possibly the stupidest bitch ever.

To answer this. She IS the stupidest bitch ever.

I should be labeled a racist at any moment now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top