Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 3:01:43 AM EDT
I nam looking at safe's for my fire arms any suggestions?
Small collection now
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy one twice the size you think you'll need.  

Oh and do a search, this topic has been covered extensively.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
No kidding, buy one bigger than you think you'll need.  I bought a 14 gun Sentry from Home Depot for $340ish and it might hold 14 10/22s but certainly not 14 of my long guns.   I use a steel Homak security cabinet for my .22s and shotguns.    Btw, bolt them to the walls and floor.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:37:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The safe you need is going to cost $1000+.  

You can keep stuff besides guns in it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:15:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

anither way to look at it is it will cost you the price of a couple of handguns or a nice rifle..how many guns did you say you were going to store?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You can keep stuff besides guns in it.

Yes...I keep titles to cars, birth certs, insurance docs etc in mine.

I have a Liberty. I like it just fine.

There are many other brands that will serve you well, too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:31:41 AM EDT
[#6]
1 with a lock...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Um...what's your budget?
how many guns do you need to store?

A $2500 Ft. Knox the size of your refrigerator might be overkill, and out of your price range.  

A $350 Sentry might be too small...so help us out here.  

Even a small safe works if you know how to pack it hehe

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the largest safe you can afford.  A cheap safe is better than no safe.  You will eventually run out of room.  I have a Champion that I like pretty well.  FYI:  Make all door measurements before laoding the safe into your truck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Figure out what size you need, and then double it!

Trust me on this one!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Make sure it's fire resistant.  The added peace of mind is well worth the $200-$300 extra in cost.

I've been very happy with my Liberty.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Check out Sam's Club.  $600 will get you one hell of a safe.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Make sure the safe you get also has a KEY!!!!   I just saw a guy on TV who can open up combination safes in about 5 minutes.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't get an electronic lock.

(BTW those of you who bolt theirs to the wall/floor, how are you doing that? Simply drill through the back and then into the studs (for example)? Standard bit or masonry?)
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Nothing wrong with an electronic lock.  Don't forget to put a working flashlight or chem lights on top of the safe.  Nothing like not being able to see when you need to open up the safe.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Nothing wrong with an electronic lock.  Don't forget to put a working flashlight or chem lights on top of the safe.  Nothing like not being able to see when you need to open up the safe.

how does it open if the power goes out or the battery is dead?

Just curious...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#16]
My Winchester is fantastic, right around $500.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious...

its battery operated so the ac power doesnt affect it. if the battery goes dead you can replace it quiet easily without opening the safe and it will remember your combo.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious...

its battery operated so the ac power doesnt affect it. if the battery goes dead you can replace it quiet easily without opening the safe and it will remember your combo.

ah...

Call me a Luddite then, at least WRT safes.    I'd still rather have a regular dial combination with key lock on it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Check out Sam's Club.  $600 will get you one hell of a safe.

+1

I am quite happy with mine. It ain't the "top of the line" as far as safes go, but it's a hell of deal for the money.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Make sure the safe you get also has a KEY!!!!   I just saw a guy on TV who can open up combination safes in about 5 minutes.

Quoted:

(BTW those of you who bolt theirs to the wall/floor, how are you doing that? Simply drill through the back and then into the studs (for example)? Standard bit or masonry?)

my champion which i highly recomend has pre drilled holes with caps for bolting it down. check out the customer servise befor you buy, also the warrenty,
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#21]
We have a sporting goods called retailer Sports Authority that carries Browning Safes, occasionally they put out a 25% off anything coupon. I walked out with twice as much safe that I needed for under $800.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Buy the biggest safe you can, and , to save money on delivery get two right now.  You will need it later and the price will go up and you will pay more for shipping....

Dan
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
We have a sporting goods called retailer Sports Authority that carries Browning Safes, occasionally they put out a 25% off anything coupon. I walked out with twice as much safe that I needed for under $800.

Nice unfortunately i still have the little crappy metal one hopefully ill upgrade later!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Ft Knox

nuff said
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Um...what's your budget?
how many guns do you need to store?

A $2500 Ft. Knox the size of your refrigerator might be overkill, and out of your price range.  

A $350 Sentry might be too small...so help us out here.  

Even a small safe works if you know how to pack it hehe

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/188491/fullsafe2.jpg

I have a Sentry and it is a good little safe but I need a bigger one.

Max
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Nice unfortunately i still have the little crappy metal one hopefully ill upgrade later!

Always keep your old "crappy" one.  They make for good ammo lockers.

As for drilling into the floor, if you have concrete, yea, you'll need a masonry bit.  The bolt goes in with some kind of anchor.  Move the safe over the bolts then put the nuts on.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#27]
BUy the biggest one you can fit & Afford, If you don't in a couple of years you will be buying another one!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
BUy the biggest one you can fit & Afford, If you don't even then, in a couple of years you will be buying another one!  

There...fixed it for ya!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
My Winchester is fantastic, right around $500.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/PanzerOfDoom/safe.jpg

Did you put your safe in the middle of your bed?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I think the best bang for the buck is American Eagle by Connon Safe.  especially if you have a Cabelas  near you.  $625 regular and ofter on sale for $599.  Mine is 525lbs and 30in. wide.  Also if you don't want to bolt to the floor or wall make sturdy wood box (wider than the door in the room) and bolt it to the box.  This will lift the safe closer to eye level, keep it from tipping, and add weight.  Also mine is in the basement, so this brings it 12 in. off the floor in case of flood!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

my champion which i highly recomend has pre drilled holes with caps for bolting it down. check out the customer servise befor you buy, also the warrenty,

why BS?  It was on TLC or Discovery ch. last week.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top